Tvs, Again....

Drew

My missus has suddenly decided that she wants to rearrange our living room and, as a consequence, reckons the TV should be wall mounted above the fireplace (a complete U-turn on her part, having previously been adamant that she didn't want a TV wall mounted). We don't watch a great deal of TV, but it is good to be able to watch things you do like to catch on a decent set, so....

Now, our trusty 32" Samsung LCD hasn't put a foot wrong during its service, but it is a bit on the portly side, and I think this might be an excuse to invest in a new set that will be more pleasing on the eye when hanging up (oh, and a bit bigger, and with more bells and whistles....whistling.gif ).

I reckon we couldn't exceed £700 or thereabouts, but imagine it must be possible to get a decent set for that money. Nothing bigger than 42", and Smart technology would be good. Not bothered about 3D capability as this is a bit of a gimmick anyway.

After some brief browsing, this caught the eye:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/lg-42la660v-smart-3d-42-led-tv-21295596-pdt.html

It is 3D, though I'm not fussed about that. It looks very svelte and I like the edge-to-edge design in particular, but I've never had anything made by LG. Are they rated? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Finally, does anyone know of any retailer that is currently offering % free credit?

Many thanks.

Drew a salsman talked me into buying a LG something I will never purchase again. Had someone out to fix it now there is a thin green line down the screen when on. Have a look at forums just type in LG tv's and you will soon be put off. Don't go past Samsung - Panasonic - Sony for main stream tv's they are the best. If you like watching sport then you should go for a Plasma no such thing as screen burn now Plasma also handle motion much better than LDTV. Have you got a COSCO card ? They always have great deals on TV's

Got this from John Lewis who deliver to the islands for free. Not for everyone but for us there is no picture house on the island and we enjoy the odd film plus I like watching sport.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+TV/Smart+VIERA+Plasma+TV/TX-P65VT65B/Overview/12264063/index.html

My missus has suddenly decided that she wants to rearrange our living room and, as a consequence, reckons the TV should be wall mounted above the fireplace (a complete U-turn on her part, having previously been adamant that she didn't want a TV wall mounted). We don't watch a great deal of TV, but it is good to be able to watch things you do like to catch on a decent set, so....

Now, our trusty 32" Samsung LCD hasn't put a foot wrong during its service, but it is a bit on the portly side, and I think this might be an excuse to invest in a new set that will be more pleasing on the eye when hanging up (oh, and a bit bigger, and with more bells and whistles....whistling.gif ).

I reckon we couldn't exceed £700 or thereabouts, but imagine it must be possible to get a decent set for that money. Nothing bigger than 42", and Smart technology would be good. Not bothered about 3D capability as this is a bit of a gimmick anyway.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/lg-42la660v-smart-3d-42-led-tv-21295596-pdt.html

It is 3D, though I'm not fussed about that. It looks very svelte and I like the edge-to-edge design in particular, but I've never had anything made by LG. Are they rated? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Finally, does anyone know of any retailer that is currently offering % free credit?

Many thanks.

bought a panasonic 50 inch lcd tv recently and it is brilliant, has a lot of bells and whistles without being a fully "smart tv" but does more than i will ever need and it was £500 from argos although that was a special offer on this new range tv , it was £150 dearer on other online stores.

and it doesn't have 3d as i have no desire for this

Edited by buddiecat

Richer Sounds would be my choice retailer too. I've bought quite a few tellies from them over the last six or seven years and they've always been excellent. The prices have always been very keen, usually the cheapest I can find either online or offline, and the customer service is spot on.

I've got seven LG sets around the house and seven Samsung. I've never had any problems with any of them and I've been really happy with both brands. When talking about Smart TV's I find that Samsung has the better apps. One app in particular - Spotify - is only available on the Samsung and that swings it for me. Other than that though the two brands are fairly indistinguishable from each other. Both even have the same problem with sound quality when talking about smaller screen sizes. I found that on 32" sets and below you really needed external speakers to get a sound quality that I would class as acceptable.

Richer Sounds would be my choice retailer too. I've bought quite a few tellies from them over the last six or seven years and they've always been excellent. The prices have always been very keen, usually the cheapest I can find either online or offline, and the customer service is spot on.

I've got seven LG sets around the house and seven Samsung. I've never had any problems with any of them and I've been really happy with both brands. When talking about Smart TV's I find that Samsung has the better apps. One app in particular - Spotify - is only available on the Samsung and that swings it for me. Other than that though the two brands are fairly indistinguishable from each other. Both even have the same problem with sound quality when talking about smaller screen sizes. I found that on 32" sets and below you really needed external speakers to get a sound quality that I would class as acceptable.

On a plumbers salary? You sure must be ripping people off!!!!lol.gif

Edited by stlucifer

Guest somner9

bought a panasonic 50 inch lcd tv recently and it is brilliant, has a lot of bells and whistles without being a fully "smart tv" but does more than i will ever need and it was £500 from argos although that was a special offer on this new range tv , it was £150 dearer on other online stores.

and it doesn't have 3d as i have no desire for this

Many thanks.

Got this from John Lewis who deliver to the islands for free. Not for everyone but for us there is no picture house on the island and we enjoy the odd film plus I like watching sport.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+TV/Smart+VIERA+Plasma+TV/TX-P65VT65B/Overview/12264063/index.html

Try Richer Sounds too for tellys, they will price match and if you want to see different models they will set them up in the demo room to see them properly. Been shopping there for years now for both Hi-fi and Tellys and they've been brilliant each time.

Had an LG LED tv for two years, not a moments problem.

Well they laughed when I said i was branching out as a receiver of stolen goods!

I'll send my 'people' out saturday when you are all in inverness to do the 'Collections'. The missus would defo go for a 50" wall mounted rinky dink set

Same TV at ebuyer.com for £506.99.

http://www.ebuyer.com/500667-lg-32-cinema-3d-smart-tv-32la620v

I have used this site over the years and never had any problems.

It's not the same. Drew was talking about a 42" set - this one is 32". I tried to tell my girlfriend that the missing 10" didn't matter but she didn't agree for some reason.....

Definitely don't go out of your way to get 3D. Very rarely is a program broadcast in 3D. It just came with my latest tv which was fine but I've only watched a handful of things in 3D and most weren't that good (i.e. Olympics, tennis). The Walking with Dinosaurs program has been the only 3D content that has impressed me.

As for wall mounting, don't put it too high as it isn't a natural viewing angle. I put our old tv up above the fireplace and regretted it ever since. This will be less of an issue the further away you sit.

I wasn't too impressed with the picture on my old 42" LG LCD but it is a good 5 years old. No complaints so far with Toshiba 46" after 1 year. Real thin bezel makes the picture look bigger and tv a lot sleeker.

Check that you have at least 2 or 3 HDMI ports and ethernet (or wireless) for all the online options. The wee plugs to beam your broadband connection around the wiring in your house are pretty cheap these days (bout £20) to save you running an ethernet cable round the living room or getting a wireless dongle.

Guest somner9

I didn't pay admission to ANY SPL matches at all last season. Nothing has changed to make me want to pay admission to any top flight SPFL fixtures next season either.

Just waiting for the 'Sit Tight'... 'i'll check with my sources/mole', 'Got my comps'

and it's like LoveStreet never left the building

so you paid in to the league cup final and semi..... attaboy..! attabuddie..!

Edited by somner9

Just waiting for the 'Sit Tight'... 'i'll check with my sources/mole', 'Got my comps'

and it's like LoveStreet never left the building

so you paid in to the league cup final and semi..... attaboy..! attabuddie..!

Still struggling to read Somner? Illiteracy is a right f**ker isn't it? Read my post again. When was the League Cup ever run by the SPL? :rolleyes: