The 'crucial' Opening Period.

Lex

Done a thread like this at Christmas and we ended up doing alot better than everyone expected, so hoping it's some kind of good omen! A bit late certainly but better late than never:

All managers speak about the importance of starting a league campaign well. Momentum is seen as vital in the early part of the season, a positive or negative start can set the tone for the remainder of the clubs campaign. Therefore, let's look at our opening 4 August fixtures:

3/8 Inverness (A)

17/8 Kilmarnock (H)

24/8 Ross County (A)

31/8 Partick Thistle (H)

We've managed to avoid all of the established city clubs in our opening fixtures, and i think those are four winnable games. They are certainly all games against clubs which have relatively similar budgets to our own. The question is then, what kind of points tally should we be aiming for from those 4 games?

9 to 12 points - The dream start. Winning 3 or more of these 4 games would see us right up the top of the table at the start of September.

7 or 8 points. This would be another excellent return. 2 wins and 2 draws or a 2 wins, a draw and a loss would see us put a nice healthy gap between ourselves and the relegation/play off spot.

4, 5 or 6 points. This is about par really. Lose an away game, win a home game and sneak a point or 3 in the remaining 2 games. We'd be sitting nicely in mid table, none the wiser to how our season is going to pan out than we are now.

0 to 3 points. This would be pretty disastrous. Losing 3 or more games or failing to win 1 would likely see us in 11th at the start of September and already looking nervously over our shoulders and listening out for the Hearts scores.

Personally i'm going to plump for 6 points. I think we are going to go 4 games unbeaten. I can see us getting draws against ICT, Killie, Ross County and then beating Thistle at home. A more than steady start to our first ever Premiership campaign.

What's your prediction?

Edited by Lex

I don't tend to do predictions, but I will say this....I think we will be disproportionately relying on our defence in the early part of the season.

In this respect, I think Grainger is a great signing. We'll do well to score half a dozen goals in our first four games, so will inevitably have to hope that we can remain strong at the back. As it goes, I think we'll actually do okay in this area. It seems to me that some people are too quick to criticise McAusland. I reckon he has really come on, and will stand out for Saints this season.

We are sorted in midfield, and retaining Gowser was an outstanding piece of business that would be difficult to surpass.

Up front, we are very, very limited. This will be our Achilles Heel.

I don't expect to get any points in fact I can't see where our first one will come from we were pish last season and we have a worse squad this time round .I can't see us being outside the bottom two for the biggest part of season .

I am refreshed by the honesty of these predictions. Too often happy clapping idiots refuse to see things without the black and white glasses on. Are we weaker than last year too right. Do we have a potent strike force do we heck and is our goalie suspect I think so. All in all here I suspect a v tough opening. Ross county a team less supported than ours but one who has been busy in the market as have caley. We have no plan b in striking as its thommo or burst. Don't give me any tosh about Reilly being a front man cos he is not. We need two strikers, and a strong defensive player. We won't get them but hey.

I never back against my team tho even tho I fear for us.

Ict 0 st.mirren 0

Stmirren 1 killie 1

Ross c 1 stmirren 1

St. Mirren 1 Patrick 0

What a load of pish. A few years ago we would have killed to have an attacking force like Thompson, Teale, McGowan, Harkins and McLean.

Problem is the defence! If they somehow stop shipping goals we will be top of the league two months from now.

What a load of pish. A few years ago we would have killed to have an attacking force like Thompson, Teale, McGowan, Harkins and McLean.

Problem is the defence! If they somehow stop shipping goals we will be top of the league two months from now.

Just on the phone to Harry Potter,says he will pop into training on Tuesday

Yes,i agree totally mate,its very unfair that the defence is part of a football team you f**king clown

• 4 weeks later...