The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Could, might, if, the buzzwords of the no campaign.

Oooooh!

Doublespeak!

George Orwell would be proud.... And I believe I've pointed out that kind of word-twisting before on this thread. :)

And.... Cockles...?

Herr Dixon's link was at least informative as to the content of the link. In its practicality it can't be faulted - so he didn't actually lie, to be fair...

I'm staying away from the Gaza thread cause I can't really pick a side. However one interesting thing that I see happening domestically is that a number of prominent nationalists have been calling for David Cameron to make a strongly worded condemnation of Israeli action. Fair enough, I get it. If you are on the side of those on the West Bank you'd be quite right to lobby your Prime Minster to speak up for you especially when the post of Prime Minister of the UK still holds significant relevance and weight in International Affairs - perhaps behind only those of Obama, Putin and Merkel in the world.

Now consider what would happen after a vote for "independence" in September. Who would those who want a strong influential voice in International Affairs turn to? I've been to many countries across the world and I don't think I've ever seen the world hold it's breath because Michael D Higgins, Erna Solberg, or Olafar Ragnar Grimsson have spoken out.

Edited to add - I had to look the names of the three of them up on Google such is their anonymity in the world. It may even be the case that they are no longer the leaders of their relevant countries, cause no-one internationally really cares. But the three in order are supposed to be the President of Ireland, the Prime Minister of Norway, and the Prime Minister of Iceland. The three countries Alex Salmond used to say he wanted us to be like rolleyes.gif

Edited by Stuart Dickson

I didn't write he lied this time, he falsely wrote that 700,000 were SET to leave, not considering.

Now, I'm about to set off for work not considering it, actually going to do it.

He changed the word when he could have just provided the TRUTHFUL link.

Aye right, as if he could actually do that. lol.gif

Ah the old Natsi trick of arguing over a single word in the hope that no-one sees the actual issue. Alex Salmond would be so proud of his little minion. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Stuart Dickson

There are two people I know that , asked how I'd vote in September . When I replied that it would most likely be a Yes they then went off in tirade at me which ended in them saying that if it were indeed a Yes they would leave Scotland . My retort to them was , why wait til then , l could pop around to your place now and help you pack yer duffle bag. .

700,000 they say . Like most opinion polls , it is based on polling around 1000 people and like most opinion polls is therefore grossly inaccurate . .

Hopefully , more folk than that will leave and take some of the other trolls with them. .

mQQTzTB.gif

Presuming that they all voted "No", then I'm sure David "Please help us Vladimir"" Cameron would welcome them with open arms.

And join the unemployed down there after paying over the odds for their house?

Edit- they better move before the referendum as it's all doom and gloom afterwards. They've no chance of selling their homes as we'll have no currency, high interest rates and it will be a buyers market with hundreds of thousands of houses for sale......

Edited by davidg

On reading the start of this post you might ask whether it has a relevance to the Independence question.

However Radio Scotland ran a passably interesting article this morning on delivery costs for the more remote parts of Scotland and expectedly there was general condemnation of the VERY high costs for anything delivered north of Perth and west of Greenock.

The point of this post is that I've argued for a very long period that basic petroleum products should be a standard rate throughout the whole of the United Kingdom. The bulk of the population lives in the south east or Midlands of England and if they can manage to keep the price of a litre of petrol or diesel down to a very competitive rate in these areas, then by adding a very small amount to their charge you could easily spread the cost of transport of these products to make the price standardised throughout the whole UK.

If we vote "Yes" in September, I don't see that ever being possible, but more to the point I wonder how retailers or delivery companies will look on Scotland. Will we be a foreign country to them and as such entitle them to charge more for a standard delivery, never mind a more remote part of the country?

Ireland is viewed as a foreign country and delivery charges are higher for both postal and general delivery items from the UK.

So my question is, (albeit a relatively minor financial aspect) do we mind the fact that it will cost us more to get anything sent from the internet or delivered by a retailer to an independent foreign country?

So my question is, (albeit a relatively minor financial aspect) do we mind the fact that it will cost us more to get anything sent from the internet or delivered by a retailer to an independent foreign country?

It will?

It might. We'll need to wait and see.

However, if it did, then it's small price to pay, for what the majority of "Yes" voters want if the country becomes independent.

On reading the start of this post you might ask whether it has a relevance to the Independence question.

However Radio Scotland ran a passably interesting article this morning on delivery costs for the more remote parts of Scotland and expectedly there was general condemnation of the VERY high costs for anything delivered north of Perth and west of Greenock.

The point of this post is that I've argued for a very long period that basic petroleum products should be a standard rate throughout the whole of the United Kingdom. The bulk of the population lives in the south east or Midlands of England and if they can manage to keep the price of a litre of petrol or diesel down to a very competitive rate in these areas, then by adding a very small amount to their charge you could easily spread the cost of transport of these products to make the price standardised throughout the whole UK.

If we vote "Yes" in September, I don't see that ever being possible, but more to the point I wonder how retailers or delivery companies will look on Scotland. Will we be a foreign country to them and as such entitle them to charge more for a standard delivery, never mind a more remote part of the country?

Ireland is viewed as a foreign country and delivery charges are higher for both postal and general delivery items from the UK.

Interestingly, in the same item, a businessman from Orkney or Shetland said that it was cheaper to have his printer toner delivered from Germany than from England.

This suggests to me that a lot of the English firms are profiteering at the expense of remote (and not so remote) areas of Scotland!

Interestingly, in the same item, a businessman from Orkney or Shetland said that it was cheaper to have his printer toner delivered from Germany than from England.

This suggests to me that a lot of the English firms are profiteering at the expense of remote (and not so remote) areas of Scotland!

It's similarly cheaper for me to get lots of items via the Channel Islands or via Amazon... w ho do not contribute towards the tax base for our society.

Such companies enjoy making money out of the society, Brits enjoy cheap things.

How will a vote in September make an iota of difference to that?

But keep on blaming the english for every inadequacy imaginable, by all means. That'll be a great help.

It's similarly cheaper for me to get lots of items via the Channel Islands or via Amazon... w ho do not contribute towards the tax base for our society.

Such companies enjoy making money out of the society, Brits enjoy cheap things.

How will a vote in September make an iota of difference to that?

But keep on blaming the english for every inadequacy imaginable, by all means. That'll be a great help.

I don't blame the English as such , I sometimes blame their government , their Hanoverian government but mostly l just blame wee Anxious , he has a lot to answer for . .

It usually costs more to get something delivered to Northern Ireland too (which obviously isn't a foreign country), as well as the Republic - it's because it has to cross "the watter".

In the same proramme this morning a resident of the Black Isle said he was quoted ridiculous delivery rates because "he lived on an island"!!! Geography is obviously not a strong point of the delivery firms. The same thing applies to Caithness because it has a Kirkwall post code.

Fuel is refined in Scotland which also supplies the north of England is it not ?

Yes

Finally, in the indictment concerning "Kosovo", it is alleged that between 1 January 1999 and 20 June 1999, the military forces of the FRY and the Serbian police forces, acting at the direction, with the encouragement, or with the support of the accused, executed a campaign of terror and violence directed at Kosovo Albanian civilians.

It was alleged that the operations targeting the Kosovo Albanians were undertaken with the objective of expelling a substantial portion of the Kosovo Albanian population from Kosovo in an effort to ensure continued Serbian control over the province. The Indictment goes on to describe a series of well-planned and coordinated operations undertaken by the forces of the FRY and Serbia.

According to the indictment, approximately 800,000 Kosovo Albanian civilians were expelled from the province by their forced removal and subsequent looting and destruction of their homes, or by the shelling of villages. Surviving residents were sent to the borders of neighboring countries. En route, many were killed, abused and had their possessions and identification papers stolen. Furthermore, several massacres are alleged to have been committed in different places.

Based on the entirety of these facts, Slobodan Milosevic was to answer for 66 counts of indictment (genocide, crimes against humanity, grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions, violations of the laws of customs of war).

Slobodan Milosevic was arrested on 1 April 2001 in Belgrade and transferred to the ICTY on 29 June 2001. He was found dead in his cell on 11 March 2006.

You can argue over legal terminology if you want, but this was what Alex Salmond wanted the world to turn a blind eye to.

Guest TPAFKATS

Oooooh!

Doublespeak!

George Orwell would be proud.... And I believe I've pointed out that kind of word-twisting before on this thread. :)

And.... Cockles...?

Herr Dixon's link was at least informative as to the content of the link. In its practicality it can't be faulted - so he didn't actually lie, to be fair...

You've lost me with that bluto - are you saying you've already pointed out that the BT scare stories are never based on definite but instead things that are coulds, might, maybes?