The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bud have you any idea how powerful these weapons are, you really need to sit back and have a think about that. These are the only nuclear weapons in the world to be near a population of 2 million people. It's crazy and extremely dangerous. It's not a huge employer ether. It was all doom and gloom when the yanks pulled out of Dunoon. Now it's vibrant. How anyone can just accept weapons 100 times stronger than was dropped in Japan is on their door step acceptable is nuts

I said I don't think we should have it or a need for it , I don't agree with it .

Yup. I think the scores were leveled tonight on the debate front with a win for Salmond. Darling tried to use the same script as last time and Salmond was prepared for it. Too much shouting over each other but I think it was more informative than the previous debate.

There was no way Salmond would make the same mistake again. Darling was a one trick pony that had the cheek to accuse Salmond of scare stories about the health service.

The better together campaign is based on nothing else but scare stories.

I don't think there's ever been a dispute about that.

The problem arises when rUK changes interest rates to reflect the rUK's economic need, without any regard to the impact it might have on Scotland.

It's a third-world way of running (actually NOT running) your economy.

It would as silly as breaking away from the UK yet wanting to keep tugging your forelocks to the rUK's monarch.

It's a risible, half-arsed "independence".

Edited by bluto

Yup. I think the scores were leveled tonight on the debate front with a win for Salmond. Darling tried to use the same script as last time and Salmond was prepared for it. Too much shouting over each other but I think it was more informative than the previous debate.

I'd say that's fair. I had Darling just on top in the first debate, I'd have Salmond just on top in the second debate, 1-1. They have both scored, maybe we should sign them.

Tonight we heard Alistair Darling admit that Scotland could use the pound. "Of course Scotland can use the pound " he said.

So what was all that pish about last time round then ? Better together lying again ?

If we don't have our own currency we could use any freely traded currency that is available in the world.

I wonder what the exchange rate would be.

It may be a good time to start using the euro hen it is at a low.

We would be getting a good exchange rate.

Guest TPAFKATS

Right from the opening statement Darling started by playing the man but couldn't bring himself to use his opponents name.

He only veered from the evil 'him' to mention plan b.

Yes, Yes... Oh non-existent deity YES!!!!

No more Tories.

No nuclear weapons in our name or soiling our land.

No drains on Scottish taxpayers in London-centric or English infrastructure projects (London Sewerage overhaul or HS2/HS3 for starters).

The knowledge that universal access to a free education is more important than an elitist one.

These are just a few of the larger reasons I'll be voting yes. With the risk of stating the obvious, the negativity of the No campaign has been abhorrent. Let's send those self-serving Scottish MPs a message.

Bye bye Douglas Alexander!! Get tae f*#k Alastair Darling!!! And finally, let me get the final boot in to oust Jim Murphy from these shores...

Try leeching over £200,000 a year from some other nation because I won't vote for you.

Why is anyone believing the lies and negativity of anyone trying to save their own job and bloated lifestyle? These people don't represent me and I hope we rob them of the chance of stealing any more from us. PFI, Iraq, bankrupting a nation:

Never Again.

Edited by Fluff Cultivator

Gotta admit, I might have switched over to Liverpool v Man City at points, but watched most of it. Salmond won it, crushed Darling at the start and was prepared on the currency answer which left Darling flustered.

The middle cross examining was too shouty so got bored of that.

Don't think we learned much new and not sure it will impact on the polls.

I don't think there's ever been a dispute about that.

The problem arises when rUK changes interest rates to reflect the rUK's economic need, without any regard to the impact it might have on Scotland.

A bit like it does right now, you mean?

Of course they are sub-contracted ya f**kin halfwit - you obviously have no idea about this at all, have you? Contracts can take many forms (and I don't mean many bits of paper - though they invariably do).

I know law is devolved in Scotland and that we have our own legal system but this is interesting. When Englands NHS contract out healthcare services to the likes of BUPA, Alex Salmond calls that privatisation, but when the same thing happens in Scotland you call it sub contracting.

Hypocrisy is rife in the Yes Campaign

A bit like it does right now, you mean?

If we keep the pound I assume we would have to keep the same interest rates at the rest of the new UK.

Would it not have to work that way?

If they set the rate at say 3% then we couldn't offer less as no one would invest for a lesser return on the same currency.

And if we offered more we would need to use up our reserves to service the greater interest given as no one would invest with the rest of the UK when we are guaranteeing a greater return?

Yes campaign surely managed to sway many undecided voters tonight.

Darling crashed big time.

I've just finished watching it. I thought Darling looked flustered throughout. Salmond took the debate IMO, but it wasn't a good win for him either. His constant interruptions after asking a question very quickly became annoying, his lies - and he told some real whoppers tonight - will be easily disassembled again over the coming days, and who the f**k told him that when he was asked a question from the audience that the best way to answer it would be to go for a wee walk first - that looked utterly ridiculous.

If the two were boxers I would say Darling took it over the two rounds on points. He won the first one by a bigger margin than Salmond did the second one but regardless of how the judges see it, there was no big knock out punch landed.

Tonight we heard Alistair Darling admit that Scotland could use the pound. "Of course Scotland can use the pound " he said.

So what was all that pish about last time round then ? Better together lying again ?

I thought that was a bizarre thing for the Natsi's to claim as a victory. Darling acknowledged in the first debate that Scotland could use any currency it wanted. He even listed the Russian Ruble. The point he made then as now was that operating without a lender of last resort is not a good way for a country to operate.

Okay , if you are serious about the moral implications of Trident on YOUR doorstep next month you get the chance to do something about that . .

We learned tonight though that even with a Yes Vote, we're going to have Trident on our doorstep at Faslane until at least 2020 and possibly until 2025. Clearly the Natsi's are in no rush to get these "American weapons" as Salmond called them, off our land.

Darling openly supporting Tory party policy while belittling his own parties was a pitiful sight. He was reduced to a stuttering shell by the closing statements. Given around 16% of the electorate start voting tomorrow his performance might just have made this interesting.

When did he do that? He said repeatedly that he was a Labour MP and that he didn't agree with Conservative policies. You're making it up.....again.