Van Morrison Smiling

RickMcD

I know it's hard to believe but if you look at today's BBC Northern Ireland news you'll actually see a picture of Van the Man smiling. A very rare occurrence. His surliness and sour demeanor are legend over here but I must admit I do like quite a lot of his music. He got the Freedom of Belfast yesterday.

I know it's hard to believe but if you look at today's BBC Northern Ireland news you'll actually see a picture of Van the Man smiling. A very rare occurrence. His surliness and sour demeanor are legend over here but I must admit I do like quite a lot of his music. He got the Freedom of Belfast yesterday.

Are you sure it wasn't just wind?

Agree about his music, Rick, but the smile? Photoshop, must be - it's the only way you'd ever get one onto his coupon!

:lol :lol :lol

Classic interview between two top class nutters. Spike Milligan v Van Morrison: http://www.raubenheimer.nl/spikevan.html

I saw Van at Edinburgh Castle about 10 years ago maybe with a bunch of mates on one of Van's famous off nights of pointless jazzy noodling. Utter rubbish, sadly. We were er, quite 'refreshed'. During a quiet interlude one of our team enquired 'Do you know any Van Morison songs?' which I thought was an excellent line in the circumstances.

The Scotsman (an Edinburgh-based newspaper) reported the next day that the contemplative nature of the event had been spoiled for many by the loutish behaviour of 'Glasgow types'. What an insult.

Veedon Fleece is a forgotten classic album. Check it out with an open mind and a camberwell carrot.

3-1 Saints ramorra.

Edited by Barney63

This is worth a thread of its own. Loved his music for more years than I care to remember but he is the most crabit and unsmiling human being on the planet besides most posters on this forum smile.png

him and wee Gus should go to the cinema together.

I love Astral Weeks one of my all time bestest albums.

Edited by stevie-dee

Classic interview between two top class nutters. Spike Milligan v Van Morrison: http://www.raubenheimer.nl/spikevan.html

I saw Van at Edinburgh Castle about 10 years ago maybe with a bunch of mates on one of Van's famous off nights of pointless jazzy noodling. Utter rubbish, sadly. We were er, quite 'refreshed'. During a quiet interlude one of our team enquired 'Do you know any Van Morison songs?' which I thought was an excellent line in the circumstances.

The Scotsman (an Edinburgh-based newspaper) reported the next day that the contemplative nature of the event had been spoiled for many by the loutish behaviour of 'Glasgow types'. What an insult.

Veedon Fleece is a forgotten classic album. Check it out with an open mind and a camberwell carrot.

3-1 Saints ramorra.

Thanks for the lead into the interview. I laughed out loud at quite a lot of it. Two geniuses (Or is it genii? Where's Bluto?) What's a camberwell carrot? There are a stack of stories over here about Van. A lot negative but a lot of good stuff too that never reaches the press.

I want 5-0 today. I'm greedy.

No problem.

Now did you brush your teeth today like I asked?

Did you time yourself for 60 seconds using wheel motions on each toothy?

BTW as an aside, have you ever been tempted to make a dentist appointment for 2:30?

I've always wanted to do that.

I have one this Friday at 2.00... :unsure:

Eta: the carrot thing is a long drug-filled cigarette, a reefer, if you will...

Geniuses and if you're in a Latin conversation, genii.

Edited by bluto

I have one this Friday at 2.00... unsure.png

Eta: the carrot thing is a long drug-filled cigarette, a reefer, if you will...

Geniuses and if you're in a Latin conversation, genii.

Sooooo close.

BTW have you been smoking that reefer cos I can't understand that second paragraph.

ETA: Just spotted the ref above.....never heard of a Camberwell Carrot.

Edited by oaksoft

The Belfast Cowboy deserves that freedom but smiling? no, he doesn't know how.

Astral Weeks, Moondance, St Dominics Preview, Into The Music & Veedon Fleece. Everyone a classic.

He's been essentially rerecording the same album for years now but if he got a decent producer in like Rick Rubin or Ethan Johns I think there could be another classic in him.