Gus Macpherson

Jp_92

Yeah guys, Roddy Collins been appointed Derry City manager ahead of Gus MacPherson. Been reported that Gus wanted a 2 year deal and DC board were only offering one with a review in six months time if everything was going well.

I think what put the board off giving someone like Gus a 2 year deal was the John Robertson debacle back in 07, one board appointed him, 3 months later there was a new board in place, Robertson went walkies and no one could get a hold of him, not saying that Gus would do the same but if the board offered a 2 year deal and it didn't work out then they would have to pay up the other year.

Thanks for your help and feedback guys, appreciate it.

All the best for the rest of the season.

Yeah guys, Roddy Collins been appointed Derry City manager ahead of Gus MacPherson. Been reported that Gus wanted a 2 year deal and DC board were only offering one with a review in six months time if everything was going well.

I think what put the board off giving someone like Gus a 2 year deal was the John Robertson debacle back in 07, one board appointed him, 3 months later there was a new board in place, Robertson went walkies and no one could get a hold of him, not saying that Gus would do the same but if the board offered a 2 year deal and it didn't work out then they would have to pay up the other year.

Thanks for your help and feedback guys, appreciate it.

All the best for the rest of the season.

not like gus to want a contract whereby when you find him out and want rid then you have a sizeable amount to pay him for the privilige of doing hee haw - well actually it is just like him

I heard they binned the idea of bringing Gus in account of his expectations being unrealistic....

"All I need is Everything" he apparently told them.

Been reported that Gus wanted a 2 year deal and DC board were only offering one with a review in six months time if everything was going well.

FFS, I was right!ohmy.pngtongue.png

I'm surprised to find myself taking issue with something you've written there.

I witnessed one of the best attacking performances from any Saints team (up there with some of the swashbuckling Hendrie performances during the 1st Division winning season) under MacPherson when we blew Falkirk away at their ground to avoid the drop. It was 0-2 going on 0-6.

That was a fantastic performance, but one of the things that made it so noteable was that it was also exceptional. I conclude from this that Gus did have the tools (aherm) but all too often opted to play it safe. A key feature of that famous victory in Grangemouth, howver, was also the support. I have no doubt (and players confirmed this) that we, the support, drove the team on, and contributed to that result. Again, however, this was exceptional in many respects.

Funnily enough, it makes aspects of Gus' tenure all the more frustrating when many of us witnessed what was possible (the 4-0 defeat of Celtic is another example, albeit they were shambolic that evening). Gus didn't take chances often enough for my liking. He was a stubborn sod who created his own limitations at times, perhaps because that approach had served its purpose, but, in the end, it turned way too many people (myself included) off.

I'd love to think he was holding something back from us, but there's not enough evidence over seven years for me to give him the benefit of the doubt that he had some attacking ideas up his sleeve. The Falkirk game was majestic; a fantastic performance. The Celtic game had a wonderful outcome, but it was a freak result, where they dictated throughout until they went 0-2 down against the run of play, then adopted a daft, desperate formation that left them wide open at the back, and they ended up being lucky that it was only 4-0.

When I say he lacked ideas, I'm thinking about when we used to talk about how totally inept we were at set pieces. Jack Ross then had a discussion about set pieces on his radio show, where various players were comparing notes about how they train for them, and Jack revealed that we never practiced set pieces, ever, much to the surprise everyone else in the studio, but not to anyone who was watching Saints regularly.

I finally gave up at Fir Park, watching us toil to create anything against hopelessly relegated, and soon to be liquidated, Gretna.

A two year deal when he's been away doing radio. Deluded!

Deluded?

What a load of crap.

The man asked for what he wanted.

That comes from being in a position to be able to say no.

He didn't get it.

That's business.

What's deluded about it?

He should be saluted for making a decision about what to accept rather than just bending over for the first suitor.

ETA: Sounds like someone is jealous.

Sounds VERY much like someone wishes they could be in a position to turn down a job.

Edited by oaksoft

Deluded?

What a load of crap.

He didn't get it.

That's business.

What's deluded about it?

He should be saluted for making a decision about what to accept rather than just bending over for the first suitor.

Sounds VERY much like someone wishes they could be in a position to turn down a job.

WTF is wrong with you ? So much anger !

Deluded?

What a load of crap.

He didn't get it.

That's business.

What's deluded about it?

The delusion comes from him thinking he's worth it, he's not! He's happy to be another lazy arse on the radio. Ross County too far away, Derry not offering two years...many managers in the past never needed a contract. No surprise you've supported him and what's with the pathetic little personal attack?

I have a job, I'm happy in that job and I'll leave it at that.

As many have said, he took us out the doldrums and won promotion and keeping us in the SPL.

Personally, I'm interested in seeing him in another job to see who the real Gus is; the one from early Saints, the one that ended with Saints or the one that failed at QotS. Think his next job will make or break his managerial career.

The Lingering Gus Mac aroma on this site...........it never ends.

Ok fwiw, he was good for us and us him , up to a point !

He seemed to retreat into a shell of ambivalence towards the supporters, the same people who willingly and without question only wanted to support a team having a go now and again , score some goals and get stuck in. I often thought he genuinely seemed to go about the job it seemed out of a kind of spite for St Mirren minded people.

Gus, perhaps not surprisingly ( as a defender to trade ) viewed not conceding a goal in a game as some sort of major acheivement.....his ambition being if you don't concede you don't lose. Got sick to my heart at how many late losses , late goals concededin matches we took over his tenure, and his rigid lack of ambition was certainly his undoing...................enough said there mad.gif

Always seemed that he promised to deliver but could never get any momentum into the team.................simply , far too negative in his approach to our team set up, always far too respectful of opposing teams, forced players into unfamiliar defensive regimes all across the park.

I really liked Gus and was pleased for his early achievements but as the screw tightened around him he certainly did not help himself.............his boorish attitude to supporters, his belief in the 'negative set up' and our lack of money to match his ambition just smacked of schoolboy excuses, .nah , sorry mate, it got laughable in the extreme, ....................bye bye.

I don't think MacPherson had thought it through. indeed he was 'Oblivious' to the potential pitfalls.

Gus was probably hoping the new job would get him 'Back on Board,' but right now he probably feels he is back 'Down the Dip' . When he looks back , he probably thinks that when he was at Saint Mirren he was 'Working in a Goldmine'. .

The Lingering Gus Mac aroma on this site...........it never ends.

Ok fwiw, he was good for us and us him , up to a point !

He seemed to retreat into a shell of ambivalence towards the supporters, the same people who willingly and without question only wanted to support a team having a go now and again , score some goals and get stuck in. I often thought he genuinely seemed to go about the job it seemed out of a kind of spite for St Mirren minded people.

Gus, perhaps not surprisingly ( as a defender to trade ) viewed not conceding a goal in a game as some sort of major acheivement.....his ambition being if you don't concede you don't lose. Got sick to my heart at how many late losses , late goals concededin matches we took over his tenure, and his rigid lack of ambition was certainly his undoing...................enough said there mad.gif

Always seemed that he promised to deliver but could never get any momentum into the team.................simply , far too negative in his approach to our team set up, always far too respectful of opposing teams, forced players into unfamiliar defensive regimes all across the park.

I really liked Gus and was pleased for his early achievements but as the screw tightened around him he certainly did not help himself.............his boorish attitude to supporters, his belief in the 'negative set up' and our lack of money to match his ambition just smacked of schoolboy excuses, .nah , sorry mate, it got laughable in the extreme, ....................bye bye.

Brings back very painful memories, the amount of late goals, mainly down to us retreating and hoofing the ball which was immediately back onto us within seconds.

He's history, I've no interest in him whatever he does from now on. bye1.gif

I fully appreciate that Gus took over at a difficult time and turned us around, he took us to the first division championship and the challenge cup win, but my abiding memory of his philosophy is playing wee Dargo up front on his own against monster centrebacks, and pumping long balls in his general direction, that was a few years ago mind, and hopefully he has learned not to tell the paying supporters that if you want entertainment then go to the pictures..

Guest somner9

Derry employed a guy called Roddy which Somner9 believes will delay any Aztec Camera comeback. Crazy.

So are Derry being managed by a scottish supergroup now..? Time for a quick slurp of OJ

The delusion comes from him thinking he's worth it, he's not! He's happy to be another lazy arse on the radio. Ross County too far away, Derry not offering two years...many managers in the past never needed a contract.

FFS the man is entitled to set his OWN value, to set his own conditions and to set his own expectations.

People will pay it or they won't.

In short Gus is controlling his own life.

WTF has it got to do with you?

Scottish Disease strikes again - "Aye he should know his place".

f**k that!

WTF is wrong with you ? So much anger !

Nothing wrong with me bud.

The Scottish Disease needs challenged wherever it is found.

It's corrosive and bollox and the sooner this shitty negative bullshit attitude of taking pleasure in seeing people put in their place dies out, the better.

What Scotland needs is ambitious and courageous people to take us forward.

What we don't need is snivelly, negative, stale and unambitious "know your place" wasters who are holding us back.

As for Gus?

He appears to be very content, living where he wants, earning a reasonable salary.

That allows him to feel confident setting his own salary demands and job description.

We should be applauding any ordinary worker who stands up for themselves (without a union) and makes demands from their rich employer not knocking them down just because we have some misplaced nonsensical idea about them "getting ideas above their station".

Edited by oaksoft

Nothing wrong with me bud.

The Scottish Disease needs challenged wherever it is found.

It's corrosive and bollox and the sooner this shitty negative bullshit attitude of taking pleasure in seeing people put in their place dies out, the better.

What Scotland needs is ambitious and courageous people to take us forward.

What we don't need is snivelly, negative, stale and unambitious "know your place" wasters who are holding us back.

As for Gus?

He appears to be very content, living where he wants, earning a reasonable salary.

That allows him to feel confident setting his own salary demands and job description.

We should be applauding any ordinary worker who stands up for themselves (without a union) and makes demands from their rich employer not knocking them down just because we have some misplaced nonsensical idea about them "getting ideas above their station".

I take it you're not including Derry City among the rich employers Gus could take on? Compared to Derry City, Rangers were parsimonious, albeit in a larger arena.