M8 -M74 For Saturday

Isle Of Bute Saint

Thought you could miss out kingston bridge when going to the M74 ? Looking at road directions for Saturdays cup game they take you across the kingston bridge any of you frequent travelivers keep me right. Road directions say it will take over 3 hours. That being the case will need to get a hotel as we will miss the last ferry which is 19.45

Thanks before hand

Thought you could miss out kingston bridge when going to the M74 ? Looking at road directions for Saturdays cup game they take you across the kingston bridge any of you frequent travelivers keep me right. Road directions say it will take over 3 hours. That being the case will need to get a hotel as we will miss the last ferry which is 19.45

Thanks before hand

Ms Bluto is from the Stewartry.

I've spent 40 years driving to and from there visiting both families.

Drive to Ayr then go via Dalmellington and Carsphairn. 2 hours max from Paisley.

If you are going from an island in the Firth of Clyde I would certainly not recommend you even contemplate the M74!

ETA Just had a swatch on the AA route finder. It gives you the M74.

Even with the Carsphairn route as a via it's 2h 34m

I go via the Braes carpark, lugton turn right at the erstwhile Paraffin Lamp, and down by Irvine.

2 hours max.

I hope this helps? :)

Edited by bluto

M74 has been a god send for me too. I use it every day. Just watch your speed on the stretch between Kinning Park and Rutherglen. The speed limit is 50mph and I regularly see cameras and police on that route even at 5am.

Just to re-iterate what Greenhill Road said - stick to the left hand lane at Ibrox if you are on the M8 and the ramp off the M77 if you are going that way. It feels counter intuitive since the M74 veers off to the right but if you miss it there's no other way to do it than to stay on the M8 and suck up the extra time and distance you need to travel.

Will take you an hour and a half max taking the m74 route from Paisley. I drive it regularly as the inlaws stay in Dumfries. 30 mins to Hamilton another 30 to the Dumfries/Moffat cut off and then 30mins to the ground

M74 has been a god send for me too. I use it every day. Just watch your speed on the stretch between Kinning Park and Rutherglen. The speed limit is 50mph and I regularly see cameras and police on that route even at 5am.

Just to re-iterate what Greenhill Road said - stick to the left hand lane at Ibrox if you are on the M8 and the ramp off the M77 if you are going that way. It feels counter intuitive since the M74 veers off to the right but if you miss it there's no other way to do it than to stay on the M8 and suck up the extra time and distance you need to travel.

I would agree, but he's coming from Arran, I believe... So it's a long way round when the scenic route would be as effective.

Will take you an hour and a half max taking the m74 route from Paisley. I drive it regularly as the inlaws stay in Dumfries. 30 mins to Hamilton another 30 to the Dumfries/Moffat cut off and then 30mins to the ground

I'm probably just a bit slower at driving than you - I prefer to stay around the speed limit - but for me I get to the David Keswick Centre in just under 1 hour. I'd say I have a 40 minutes start on those from Paisley and it would take a further 5 minutes from the David Keswick to get to Palmerston. I'd estimate closer to 1hr 45 mins if the roads are clear and your lucky with lorries on the stretch between Motherwell and Lesmahagow and with tractors on the road from Moffat into Dumfries.

I live in the flats that look over the M74 and the kingston bridge and we literally see police cars pulling people over every 10 mins, especially late at night and its often unmarked police cars thumbdown.gif

We had a weekend stay in Castle Douglas a few weeks back (about 15 miles from Dumfries or thereabouts).

Based on that journey, I'd give it a couple of hours from Paisley. From Arran, though, it would be possible to come off the ferry at Ardrossan and take the Ayr route down to Dumfries. Not sure how long that would take, but might be the better option (Auchinleck, Cumnock etc. on the A76). I reckon you're talking less than 2 hours.

ETA: Just Google mapped it - a conservative 1 hour 50 minute drive. Defintely the best option I'd have thought.

Edited by Drew