Adam Campbell Day - Killie Away

Bud the Baker

We could always hope someone just go through him in the first minute and he has to hobble off.thumbup2.gif

Why is it we always find one striker per season that rips us apart. Do we not do our homework or as you say play these guys differently. At the moment its Boyd, last season it was Leigh Griffiths and before that Skatchel at Hearts.

Boyd has been doing it to us from the moment he signed for Killie again. I would hazard a guess they are just excellent strikers at our level. Thomo does it to other clubs repeatedly too. Our fragility in defence doesn't help either. He is a big unite to rattle to be fair but it's obvious we need to take a different approach against him. Ideally he will join his beloved bretheren up the A77 and then I fear Killie would slump big time

I think that's the third carbon copy goal Boyd has scored against us plus a couple of others. We appear to play a high line against him on exactly the basis you point out however from what I can see he is actually QUICKER than our CBs. I doubt that is raw speed but he has a good footballing brain and can pull off his designated marker onto the slower defender. He also plays right on the shoulder of his marker so despite a lack of raw pace I would hazard a guess we are playing him all wrong as once he has got in behind and is in on goal he, as top all time league scorer, invariably buries it. A high line with 20-30 metres in behind is not the way to play Boyd unless you have a fast mobile CB. Perhaps defending him a little deeper might be the answer in future.

And his goal is more cringeworthy as McGregor was in the papers before the game saying that he's never faced him and wouldn't give him any space to play - looks like he had plenty when he galloped through to fire the winner!

Not great defending on either goal conceded.

attachicon.gifSaints Killie goal 2.jpg

attachicon.gifSaints Killie goal 1.jpg

you could add to the first one ,Mcgregor outjumped by Boyd, & Naismith clearance falling at the feet of a totally unmarked midfielder.

& the second all came from a stupid ball forward to nobody from Zico Harkins who then walked about in his usual who gives a f**k stylee while his team-mates scampered back to cover for his f**k up !!

All round Bad Bad Bad.

you could add to the first one ,Mcgregor outjumped by Boyd, & Naismith clearance falling at the feet of a totally unmarked midfielder.

& the second all came from a stupid ball forward to nobody from Zico Harkins who then walked about in his usual who gives a f**k stylee while his team-mates scampered back to cover for his f**k up !!

All round Bad Bad Bad.

The first still shots don't show where the goal scorer came from. The angle behind the goal would be good. Wee McGinn let him go, had he tracked him instead of being drawn towards the ball he probably would have broke it up.

Other than that he was brilliant.

All round Bad Bad Bad.

What no mention of Cheesy breaking the defensive line to follow the forward, then let

the ball bounce off his thigh keystone cop style....

easy target Harkins losing the ball 90 yards up the park.....

What no mention of Cheesy breaking the defensive line to follow the forward, then let

the ball bounce off his thigh keystone cop style....

easy target Harkins losing the ball 90 yards up the park.....

Read my post again. Im not absolving cheesy from blame, ive ADDED to the previous posters observations.

& i did say ALL ROUND BAD >

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

In you're opinion, I keep my glass half full..... I'll admit we failed to create much, mainly due

to our wide players Newton (needs dropping) and Grainger, but we had a few good performers, Mcginn

McGowan and Campbell, for me the only killie player that stood out was Samson, tells its own story.....

We created more and better chances than Killie did though.

The save from Thommo's flick, and the clearance of the line from Grainger (both at 1-1) could easily have seen us go ahead again.

I did, at no point did you or the previous poster highlight the obvious balls up that caused

the second goal..... simply bad defending..

Cheesy had to come with the striker who dropped deep. The ball then hit him and there's wasn't much he could really do about that.

McGregor was deeper than the rest which caused the goal. It's been highlighted quite a few times this season. It's a common mistake with Darren.

The first goal several players made bad decisions. McGregor was out of position, took a while to get back, when he did he dropped deep again, left a player to run behind Cheesy. McGinn then lost his man, went toward the ball, the ball them passed to the player he let go who had acres of space. Cheesy reluctant to close him down as a player had just ran in behind him. Should have closed him down though, Kelly standing still also.

Nobody has questioned Kello? He had a good view of the shot and probably could have did better also.

The defending all round was poor. It's too easy to single out one player here. Mistakes all round.

Edited by davidg

Cheesy had to come with the striker who dropped deep. The ball then hit him and there's wasn't much he could really do about that.

McGregor was deeper than the rest which caused the goal. It's been highlighted quite a few times this season. It's a common mistake with Darren.

The first goal several players made bad decisions. McGregor was out of position, took a while to get back, when he did he dropped deep again, left a player to run behind Cheesy. McGinn then lost his man, went toward the ball, the ball them passed to the player he let go who had acres of space. Cheesy reluctant to close him down as a player had just ran in behind him. Should have closed him down though, Kelly standing still also.

Nobody has questioned Kello? He had a good view of the shot and probably could have did better also.

The defending all round was poor. It's too easy to single out one player here. Mistakes all round.

I'm not singling Cheesy out, overall the defending was shocking on both killie goals, but sorry

David that's not the way I see the second goal...

Cheesy decides to break the defensive line to go with the forward 45 yards out no need, he vacates the space

between Mcgregor and Kelly, fails to deal with the situation, his poor touch lays perfectly for the forward, then

Boyd exploits the space Cheesy leaves behind, pass, sprint, goal....

two bits of slack defending robbed us yesterday, of what I thought was an ok performance otherwise....

I'm not singling Cheesy out, overall the defending was shocking on both killie goals, but sorry

David that's not the way I see the second goal...

Cheesy decides to break the defensive line to go with the forward 45 yards out no need, he vacates the space

between Mcgregor and Kelly, fails to deal with the situation, his poor touch lays perfectly for the forward, then

Boyd exploits the space Cheesy leaves behind, pass, sprint, goal....

two bits of slack defending robbed us yesterday, of what I thought was an ok performance otherwise....

The lack of a defensive midfielder meant he had to step up. He would have got slaughtered if he had left the guy in space there to turn and run at them.

We've all got different views mate but I thought there were far more than 2 bits of slack defending yesterday. I thought we were all over the place.

Edited by davidg

The defending all round was poor. It's

too easy to single out one player here.

Mistakes all round.

Kello and McGinn don't mistakes because they are liked. Everything is Cheesy's fault in defence and it's Lennon's fault that McGregor plays 5 yards deeper than everyone else.

Edit by davidg- fixed the quoting for you.

Edited by davidg

The lack of a defensive midfielder meant he had to step up. He would have got slaughtered if he had left the guy in space there to turn and run at them.

We've all got different views mate but I thought there were far more than 2 bits of slack defending yesterday. I thought we were all over the place.

Disagree David. I think you are letting your personal friendships colour your views here. I would have gone through our kids at juvenile level if one of the centre halves had got sucked in like that. McAusland sold himself at the second goal by leaving the line and that's made the job of the striker much easier. It's made even worse by the fact that he wasn't even close to challenging the Killie player as the ball dropped, he's just standing in the vicinity when the ball comes off him.

The BBC highlights package is only five minutes long yet time and time again when Kilmarnock are attacking there is one defender who stands out as being ineffective. Yeah when you look more closely others can be criticised but McAusland is the one making basic errors.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Disagree David. I think you are letting your personal friendships colour your views here. I would have gone through our kids at juvenile level if one of the centre halves had got sucked in like that. McAusland sold himself at the second goal by leaving the line and that's made the job of the striker much easier. It's made even worse by the fact that he wasn't even close to challenging the Killie player as the ball dropped, he's just standing in the vicinity when the ball comes off him.

The BBC highlights package is only five minutes long yet time and time again when Kilmarnock are attacking there is one defender who stands out as being ineffective. Yeah when you look more closely others can be criticised but McAusland is the one making basic errors.

I'm not, I've criticised him in this thread. Only Naismith got pass marks out the back 4 IMO.

You could equally argue your opinion of cheesy is colouring your views. Boyd had 2 chances within a minute and should have scored both. They were McGregors mistakes so there's not one defender who continually stands out.

Fair play to Darren, he recovered one if them and made a great block.

Like I said, the defence was poor on Saturday. Cheesy, McGregor and Kelly especially.

Edited by davidg

I'm not, I've criticised him in this thread. Only Naismith got pass marks out the back 4 IMO.

You could equally argue your opinion of cheesy is colouring your views. Boyd had 2 chances within a minute and should have scored both. They were McGregors mistakes so there's not one defender who continually stands out.

Like I said, the defence was poor on Saturday. Cheesy, McGregor and Kelly especially.

I've got studick on ignore but can't help seeing him quoted at times. He has had it in for Cheesy from time immemorial and it's impossible to take him seriously. I've always suspected Cheesy's dad being a director is part of it. Studick is the only guy on this forum who has never been wrong. Aye, right! We know his attitude to all things St.Mirren and even Stewart Gilmour. It's a pity, David, you have no influence with the moderators.

I've got studick on ignore but can't help seeing him quoted at times. He has had it in for Cheesy from time immemorial and it's impossible to take him seriously. I've always suspected Cheesy's dad being a director is part of it. Studick is the only guy on this forum who has never been wrong. Aye, right! We know his attitude to all things St.Mirren and even Stewart Gilmour. It's a pity, David, you have no influence with the moderators.

He is a moderator ! bangin.gif

Got to say, Mcgregors mistake was just as bad as Cheesy's and could easily have led to a goal,,,,

but on Saturday, we're talking about the same game here right....1eye.gif

I've praised McAusland on this forum as a person after finding out that he was guesting at a kids charity hosted by a friend of mine. He's clearly a decent guy - but as a footballer he's piss poor David and nothing in football annoys me more than poor defending. I don't think any side with McAusland in it is going to consistently win matches in the top flight. He simply isn't good enough.

Edited by Stuart Dickson