Telly Programmes

shull

Watched the first episode of the new two doors down series tonight. I felt it had run it’s course after watching the last series (tired, lazy puns with very little originality) well I can now say I have done a 360 degree turn. The return of Doon Mackichan has reignited the whole cast and appears to be the missing piece that was needed to return it to its original glory. Looking forward to the next episode. 

On 11/21/2023 at 11:36 AM, antrin said:

Boat Story.

6 one hour episodes. (Available on iPlayer, now)

I watched  episodes 1 and 2 on Sun and Monday.  BBC.

Excellent - fast, funny, brutally and gratuitously violent.  Critics complain that it’s too Coen Brothers or Tarantino-ish… which I see as V. complimentary.

genuinely funny and a wonderfully intricate/complicated style of storytelling.

eg we saw the Epilogue as Prologue early in the first episode.  Just shows what confidence the writers have in the material.

Fantastic acting.

it’s by Harry Williams and Jack Williams, who wrote The Missing and Baptiste….  Which I’ve not seen but might now look for.

Watched episode 1 on your recommendation.

You were spot on.

Watching episode 2 now. 

Top tip thanks. 

Episode 3 was a wee bit slow but 4 picked up the pace again!

I’ve always loved storytelling where they tell you where the story’s going, you start recognising how that’s going to happen…. Then they shock and surprise you by getting there in a wholly original direction.!

This does that.

Also the most minor of characters, perhaps with only 2 words in an early scene, leap back to figure again, but much bigger and significant this time.

(I’m now expecting/hoping someone “trivial”  from the opening scenes to be quite inventively slaughtered in episode 6 - no spoilers)

Edited by antrin

31 minutes ago, antrin said:

Episode 3 was a wee bit slow but 4 picked up the pace again!

I’ve always loved storytelling where they tell you where the story’s going, you start recognising how that’s going to happen…. Then they shock and surprise you by getting there in a wholly original direction.!

This does that.

Also the most minor of characters, perhaps with only 2 words in an early scene, leap back to figure again, but much bigger and significant this time.

(I’m now expecting/hoping someone “trivial”  from the opening scenes to be quite inventively slaughtered in episode 6 - no spoilers)

Planning to watch 3 and 4 tonight.

Thanks for the heads up.

"Still Game" is on tonight on the BBC Scotland channel at 10:30pm.  Even after multiple repeats, it's still a great show that can make you laugh out loud.  It's far superior than anything Limmy could produce in my opinion.

Here's a wee appetiser...(I hope no-one feels offended by this as I know some deluded folks on here think everything is about them!  Or maybe it is?:lol:)

35 minutes ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

"Still Game" is on tonight on the BBC Scotland channel at 10:30pm.  Even after multiple repeats, it's still a great show that can make you laugh out loud.  It's far superior than anything Limmy could produce in my opinion.

Here's a wee appetiser...(I hope no-one feels offended by this as I know some deluded folks on here think everything is about them!  Or maybe it is?:lol:)

Still Game is fantastic.

Always makes me laugh, even after watching many repeats.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Michelle McManus, nice wee prog on BBC1, very funny from a very ordinary Scottish girl with a very Scottish background. 

Saw this one last night, she comes across as a genuinely nice big lassie who went through a nasty experience and came through it admirably and rebuilt her career. 

Cowell and Waterman, what a pair of aresewipes !!!

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Saw this one last night, she comes across as a genuinely nice big lassie who went through a nasty experience and came through it admirably and rebuilt her career. 

Cowell and Waterman, what a pair of aresewipes !!!

More so Waterman who didn't have the grace to even put a face on it.

Nice support from Robbie Williams who, himself, has been a walloper in his day. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Dynamo is Dead, never fails to amaze me.

It's magic. 

He gives a guy a Rubik's cube, it starts off with a single colour on each face, then asks him to mix it up a bit.

After a minute or so asks him to put it behind his back and continue mixing it up while telling him about a successful event in his life.

After another minute or so he asks the guy to show him the cube......................... It's back to its original set up with a single colour on each face.

Now, that's magic. 

Watching Agatha Christie’s two-parter (Murder is Easy) last night, I kept commenting on how many fine Scots actors were in this very Midsomer-murdery entertainment.

Also, I couldnae fathom where (in the south, on a rural rail route via Epsom allegedly into London) it was filmed.  🧩 🤔

It was filmed in…. East Lothian, Stirling and… Paisley!

(I think I recall Forbes Place looking toward Causeyside, for a start.  Almost tempted to skim through again. Almost.)

It was ok.  Entertaining.
LOTS of murders, lots of potential murderers, sunny, great costumes and an eventually complicated denouement.

eta: it was 2 one hour episodes.

Edited by antrin