So....

Drew

I get really fecked off with dumbed down documentaries basically explaining most of the programme in the title scenes.

I also find it irritating when after an ad break they decide to throw in a part that explains where we left off a minute ago.

Feck off. Maybe I'm just getting old. I've always been grumpy.

Even worse when it's an American show on the BBC. You get the recaps without the ads.

Couldn't you just pause before answering? Presumably a pause of the same duration as it takes you to say 'so' wouldn't be an issue, even on radio?

The verbal pause of uttering "so" replaces the pause that a person would perhaps do by touching ones chin, or scratching ones nose. touching your specs, etc.

The person saying "So" on the radio believes they may not be communicating with their audience who would not be seeing a normal facial pause mechanism and therefore, almost subconsciously, utter "So" as a substitute.

Just ask Brian Butterworth about speech disfluency.

The verbal pause of uttering "so" replaces the pause that a person would perhaps do by touching ones chin, or scratching ones nose. touching your specs, etc.

The person saying "So" on the radio believes they may not be communicating with their audience who would not be seeing a normal facial pause mechanism and therefore, almost subconsciously, utter "So" as a substitute.

Just ask Brian Butterworth about speech disfluency.

Speech effluency is what I call it!

Oh, and no bugger gets to touch my specs!

Can't say I've noticed the 'So' thing that much, but now you've mentioned it, I'll start noticing it! A few things are getting on my tits at present. Let's kick off with....Inanimate objects. The cord on yer' lawnmower or vacuum cleaner for example. You leave them in a neat circle, or in the case of the vacuum, around the handle... Next time you use the fcukers, the cords are tied in knots. How come? Basturts, that's what they are.

The second thing getting on my man boobs just now are cnuts who go to a concert, then when the band is on, they talk, and talk, and talk. When the band get loud, they just shout louder at each other. Why pay X amount to go to a gig at all? Stay in the pub, save the money, or shut the fcuk up and listen to the band. Women are worst for this and I make NO apologies for stating that.

Hurrumph, rant over.

so .. there are the people who say and write "could of" instead of could have, and "at the end of the day" also cannot stand paul lewis on breakfast bbc when they label him and most other guests as "experts" ffs he comes on and tells you you can save money by shopping around - no shit sherlock!

Guest TPAFKATS

I get really fecked off with dumbed down documentaries basically explaining most of the programme in the title scenes.

I also find it irritating when after an ad break they decide to throw in a part that explains where we left off a minute ago.

Feck off. Maybe I'm just getting old. I've always been grumpy.

Aye, this (both of them)!

although I'm also told I'very been grumpy all my adult life ????

I'd prefer People On TV That Get On Your Nerves.

Starting with Robert Peston, Dominic Littlewood, Phil Tuffnell, Matt Dawson, Brian Moore, Will Carling, Jeremy Guscott (ok, every ex-England rugby international now on tv), Harry Redknapp, the Welsh lass presenting The One Show, Brian Sewell, John Hannah (surely the worst actor in the UK), Gerard (the Dude) Butler, Rob Bryden (oh so unfunny), everyone that ever appeared in Gavin & Stacey (an extra vote for Rob Bryden), Andy Townsend, ............... pause for breath.

FFS. .

I thought it was just myself that thought that , his voiceovers are Omni-present and shite. .

so .. there are the people who say and write "could of" instead of could have, and "at the end of the day" also cannot stand paul lewis on breakfast bbc when they label him and most other guests as "experts" ffs he comes on and tells you you can save money by shopping around - no shit sherlock!

To be fair.... At the end if the day.... When all's said and done....if we had looked at it early doors...going forward...with the benefit of hindsight...it was a no brainer.