Langs Pub, Moss St (The Brewers Tap)

Lizard King

Oi McD......Where abouts in Glenburn was Nethercraigs school?

If you go up Glennifer Road past Stanley Dam and branch left onto Nethercraigs Road (I'm not sure about the road layout now) it was just in the gusset created by the Glennifer Road and Nethercraigs Road. It was a grey sandstone place and in my opinion a nice old building. From memory there were only two classrooms. Originally it was mainly farmers families and farm workers children that went there or so the story went. I was in it the odd time but when I moved to Glenbiurn i think it was only P1&2 that were there then and we were in Blackland House. The janny at Langcraigs, John Martin lived in the house within Nethercraigs and he went on living in it for years after it was a school. John was a great guy, a BB officer in the town. I remember John telling me that Archie would play for Scotland when he was still only about 9 yrs.old. Knocking the school down was legalised vandalism in my view. There's a nursing home there now and my mother was in it for a while.

I've forgotten a hell of a lot I was taught at school but the lang thing stuck for some reason. Every time I come across it I think of high and wonder does it fit. Langside? Aye, quite high. Langbank? Dunno. It's long OK but before the road was there It's not hard to imagine there being a big high bank.Lanholm? Dunno, never been there.

Do you know the poem 'There's a bogle by the boor tree, at the lang loan heid'? Great poem but that actually made me think long. Auld Lang Syne is supposed to mean times gone by but I suppose we could say times long gone.

It's context.

Mostly in Scots it is LONG, not high or tall.

The Burns thing is 'old long (times)since(now/today)'.

I'd guess Lang bank is a long beach and McDiarmid always talked about Langholm as 'the lang toun'... and it is. A literal litoral... :)

Edited by bluto

Langs pub eh?

Just last summer I was wandering down New street on a warm summers day. I had a drouth on me, the type of drouth that only an ale sold to you by the pint having been discharged from a barrel sent direct from the brewery to an ale house and delivered via the pump sytem known as the beer tap could extinguish.

Well I entered the public house known then as Langs, attended at the bar and the barkeep enquired as to my wishes and subsequesntly poured me a pint of ale in a glass. The ale incidentally was from the J & R Tennant brewery in Duke St, Glasgow. The glass, well I must confess I did not enquire as to the manufacturer.

I acquired myself a seat, the seat being in a booth by the window of said Langs public house and there I sat alone with my pint of ale and a drouth that only a pint of ale could extinguish. Well fellow forum user's I drank that ale by placing the glass against my lips and allowing the sweet, cold and beautifully brewed ale to enter the chamber of my mouth, wash down my throat and deliver a familiar refreshing feel. After the ale was finished I re-attended at the bar, placed my empty glass on the table and left the premises of Langs pub with the barman shouting his thanks for my custom as I re-entered the warm day that waited for me in Moss street.

That pint of ale was my last in that public house and that is why I find it so surprising the public house is now closed. What I failed to mention above is that I paid the barkeep over £3.00 for that pint of ale. With prices like that I would have expected that bar to be operating comfortably into the next century.

Does anyone have a more interesting memory of Langs? I would wager not!

It's context.

I'd guess Lang bank is a long beach and McDiarmid always talked about Langholm as 'the lang toun'... and it is. A literal litoral... smile.png

Aye , there used to be a whisky called Long John ( l haven't seen it fur years ) and it used to say on the bottle that the original owner of the firm was a very tall guy called John , hence , Long John . .

long-john-blended-12-yo-75-cl-43_IM43783

Aye , there used to be a whisky called Long John ( l haven't seen it fur years ) and it used to say on the bottle that the original owner of the firm was a very tall guy called John , hence , Long John . .

long-john-blended-12-yo-75-cl-43_IM43783

A whisky getting named after you just for being tall? Are you sure it couldn't have meant something else?

It's context.

I'd guess Lang bank is a long beach and McDiarmid always talked about Langholm as 'the lang toun'... and it is. A literal litoral... smile.png

So would an extended 12" remix of a Bay City Rollers classic be a 'Shang-a-long' then ?

I've forgotten a hell of a lot I was taught at school but the lang thing stuck for some reason. Every time I come across it I think of high and wonder does it fit. Langside? Aye, quite high. Langbank? Dunno. It's long OK but before the road was there It's not hard to imagine there being a big high bank.Lanholm? Dunno, never been there.

Do you know the poem 'There's a bogle by the boor tree, at the lang loan heid'? Great poem but that actually made me think long. Auld Lang Syne is supposed to mean times gone by but I suppose we could say times long gone.

That's because it was a lang time ago.

This might be the wrong thread but my son in Paisley has asked my do I remember three old pubs in Paisley. They were The Lighthouse and The Piccadilly, both apparently in Cotton Street, and The Vaults in Springbank Road. The Lighthouse kinds of rings a bell with me but I can't really remember any of them. Does anyone out there remember them?

This might be the wrong thread but my son in Paisley has asked my do I remember three old pubs in Paisley. They were The Lighthouse and The Piccadilly, both apparently in Cotton Street, and The Vaults in Springbank Road. The Lighthouse kinds of rings a bell with me but I can't really remember any of them. Does anyone out there remember them?

There's a picture of The Vaults in todays PDE, taken in 1970 when the building was derelict.

The Lighthouse was a famous Paisley pub situated around Bridge St/Cotton St I think.

Where Cotton Street/theold bridge crosses The Cart, there was a walkway on the east side that you led you beside the Cart to the tannery and East End park.

The lighthouse stood on that corner. Nice wee pub.

I pretty sure that there's (or was) a pic on here... In a Paisley pubs thread....

ETA : Looks like the walkway's still there

Pub where the arrow points....

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=248551&y=663830&z=115&sv=248551,663830&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=859&ax=248551&ay=663830&lm=0

Edited by bluto

There's a picture of The Vaults in todays PDE, taken in 1970 when the building was derelict.

The Lighthouse was a famous Paisley pub situated around Bridge St/Cotton St I think.

Must have been the PDE thing that prompted the question. Can you figure from the photo exactly where it was?

Where Cotton Street/theold bridge crosses The Cart, there was a walkway on the east side that you led you beside the Cart to the tannery and East End park.

The lighthouse stood on that corner. Nice wee pub.

I pretty sure that there's (or was) a pic on here... In a Paisley pubs thread....

ETA : Looks like the walkway's still there

Pub where the arrow points....

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=248551&y=663830&z=115&sv=248551,663830&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=859&ax=248551&ay=663830&lm=0

Thanks for that. Can't for the life of me remember it. I always reckoned I'd been in virtually every pub in Paisley at least once but i guess not.

Piccadilly and the Lighthouse are both in this picture.

Thanks for the photies you guys have posted. mcd, (lovely initials by the way) the clarity of your photo is amazing. Can you describe to me where the Piccadilly was? Still can't place it. And bluto, now I've seen the lighthouse I do remember it and I recall being in it once. But the name Lighthouse still means nothing. Was it always called that?