What Is There To Elderslie?

dave.j

So, having just moved to Elderslie (for a few months) whilst my house is for sale, i find myself looking about and thinking.... what is there to Elderslie, apart from a ridiculous amount of hairdressers and curry shops.

Don't get me wrong, so far so good, even if it is on Main Road, the traffic is mental, there's a railway at the bottom of our back garden and there's a plane passing by every two minutes.

It's a beauty of a house, with a cracking garden and after living in a flat for years, our 3 year old daughter is like a newly released caged animal, she's not stopped running around for the last 3 days!

But... apart from going down to Asda for a wee walk round, once the good lady has gone to bed, what is there to do in Elderlie?

Nice golf club too. Here we see ourselves as the rather quaint and pleasant DMZ between Ferguslie, Linwood, Foxbar and Johnstone Castle.

Ain't much to do really. Wouldn't really recommend the Ajuba or that a Chinese which has recently changed it's name from Night ll Palace to something I can't remember. Although the amber cusine (a Chinese carry out shop) does a fine special meal deal for two.

Best bet to go out for something to eat is to go to La Tratoria Roma or Papa Macs in Johnstone. Drinking wise there's now only the Inn in Elderslie since the Tavern became a Nisa. That's old mannish and friendly enough. Better pubs in Johnstone are the Thorn Inn - just on the wrong side of the Elderslie border - Callum's and Rennies.

Nice golf club too. Here we see ourselves as the rather quaint and pleasant DMZ between Ferguslie, Linwood, Foxbar and Johnstone Castle.

Ain't much to do really. Wouldn't really recommend the Ajuba or that a Chinese which has recently changed it's name from Night ll Palace to something I can't remember. Although the amber cusine (a Chinese carry out shop) does a fine special meal deal for two.

Best bet to go out for something to eat is to go to La Tratoria Roma or Papa Macs in Johnstone. Drinking wise there's now only the Inn in Elderslie since the Tavern became a Nisa. That's old mannish and friendly enough. Better pubs in Johnstone are the Thorn Inn - just on the wrong side of the Elderslie border - Callum's and Rennies.

Nice one mate, we were in the Jasmine Palace(?) the other week for Jane's mum n dad's wedding anniversary and it was really nice, even if they have a weird way of doing a buffet!

i don't drink any more, apart from a shandy every second Saturday, but seen as the Elderslie Inn's only 50 yards away, it would be rude not to.

Once we're settled in somewhere at the end of the summer, i can see myself getting the clubs back out, not swung the wrenches in years.

Kilbarchan and Lochwinnoch are well worth a look.

Kilbarchan is close to motorway some great pubs and village with a lot of character.

Lochwinnoch has everything and not as far out as some think. its got a train station , national cycle track , lake with all sort of sports clubs around it , bird sanctuary , shops , great pubs , golf course , indoor football , every kind of club you could think of. Local football team , history by the dozen. These are my two places in Renfrewshire that hit the spot

So, having just moved to Elderslie (for a few months) whilst my house is for sale, i find myself looking about and thinking.... what is there to Elderslie, apart from a ridiculous amount of hairdressers and curry shops.

Don't get me wrong, so far so good, even if it is on Main Road, the traffic is mental, there's a railway at the bottom of our back garden and there's a plane passing by every two minutes.

It's a beauty of a house, with a cracking garden and after living in a flat for years, our 3 year old daughter is like a newly released caged animal, she's not stopped running around for the last 3 days!

But... apart from going down to Asda for a wee walk round, once the good lady has gone to bed, what is there to do in Elderlie

Insert an 's' between 'r' and 'l', or alternatively, pish oneself...

Kilbarchan and Lochwinnoch are well worth a look.

Kilbarchan is close to motorway some great pubs and village with a lot of character.

Lochwinnoch has everything and not as far out as some think. its got a train station , national cycle track , lake with all sort of sports clubs around it , bird sanctuary , shops , great pubs , golf course , indoor football , every kind of club you could think of. Local football team , history by the dozen. These are my two places in Renfrewshire that hit the spot

I cannae. I just cannae...

But... apart from going down to Asda for a wee walk round, once the good lady has gone to bed, what is there to do in Elderlie?

A brisk 15 minutes walk via Feggie and you could watch the saints next season. whistling.gif

A brisk 15 minutes walk via Feggie and you could watch the saints next season. whistling.gif

Funny, we were down at the storage place on Abercorn Street, and jane was telling me about a bridge they used to cross over as a short cut to get to love street!

Thanks for the offer, maybe for a cup game, otherwise it's a 20 minute drive to firhill.

It was a footbridge with pipes strapped to one side. Has been shut off for some time now due to total deterioration of footpath.

Sir William Arrol and Co also made the pedestrian lifting bridge across the White Cart Water at Carlile Quay (off New Sneddon Street) but this has been disabled from lifting for over 30 years and has been closed to traffic since 1997, the structure being deemed unsafe.

post-4944-0-52000100-1434380327_thumb.jp

Edited by pod

From Elderslie? Grab your camera and head into Paisley.... In advance, contact the guys at the Museum and Art Gallery, arrange to be taken up and into the Coats Observatory, it is fascinating. Admire and photograph Thomas Coats Memorial Church. Go across the road and grab a coffee and pastry in Cardosi's. From Cardosi's walk down the High Street, quickly divert into the Paisley Centre - go into JD Sports and play an entertaining game of 'spot the St Mirren merchandise amongst the Sellik and Barcelona taps'... give up and leave the Paisley Centre. Continue down past the recently renovated Town Hall and go into the Abbey. The folk in there will be happy to tell you tales about the Abbey. Admire the magnificence of it and check out the wee gift shop. Walk towards the Watermill Hotel and go down to the river to view the former Abbey Mill and crashing water on the rocks. Head back into town and go for a toasted bagel with scrambled egg and smoked salmon for lunch in Cafe Lusso just off Moss Street. After lunch, turn right out of Cafe Lusso and in about two minutes you will be on cobbled streets with old style lamp-posts and grand old mansion houses. From there, head home to Elderslie, slap in the St Mirren's Day League Cup DVD, pour yourself a bourbon & coke, raise your glass as Isma equalises and loudly shout 'Up the Saints!'.

A grand day out.

Edited by pozbaird

Naw,don't.

Enough upset on here last week.

The shim is a grade one fanny thank fully most of the forum know that.

As for Chingford , met him in a pub in Blackpool during a Saints tour he was in a corner with the a huge oxford dictionary and the Daily Times crossword book of the year. Looked a really cheery chap !

The shim is a grade one fanny thank fully most of the forum know that.

As for Chingford , met him in a pub in Blackpool during a Saints tour he was in a corner with the a huge oxford dictionary and the Daily Times crossword book of the year. Looked a really cheery chap !

Shim who?

The chinese at the old Wallace Tree pub is quite nice

There's no nice pubs in Johnstone well apart from Rennies you have mentioned

From Elderslie? Grab your camera and head into Paisley.... In advance, contact the guys at the Museum and Art Gallery, arrange to be taken up and into the Coats Observatory, it is fascinating. Admire and photograph Thomas Coats Memorial Church. Go across the road and grab a coffee and pastry in Cardosi's. From Cardosi's walk down the High Street, quickly divert into the Paisley Centre - go into JD Sports and play an entertaining game of 'spot the St Mirren merchandise amongst the Sellik and Barcelona taps'... give up and leave the Paisley Centre. Continue down past the recently renovated Town Hall and go into the Abbey. The folk in there will be happy to tell you tales about the Abbey. Admire the magnificence of it and check out the wee gift shop. Walk towards the Watermill Hotel and go down to the river to view the former Abbey Mill and crashing water on the rocks. Head back into town and go for a toasted bagel with scrambled egg and smoked salmon for lunch in Cafe Lusso just off Moss Street. After lunch, turn right out of Cafe Lusso and in about two minutes you will be on cobbled streets with old style lamp-posts and grand old mansion houses. From there, head home to Elderslie, slap in the St Mirren's Day League Cup DVD, pour yourself a bourbon & coke, raise your glass as Isma equalises and loudly shout 'Up the Saints!'.

A grand day out.

Buddie, I've just moved out of the glorious town of Paisley, after 4 splendid years...

We hope to return, once my house in Newton Mearns has sold. Anyone looking to buy a 1 bedroom house in The Broom for 80k?

Elderslie has certainly got a 1990s Newton Mearns feel to it. f**k all there except more and more houses.

There's a good walk at the top of Auchenlodment if you want to get the wee one out. After the hairpin, on the left hand side, there are a couple of paths through the fields. Mostly used by dog walkers. Not quite the braes but you get decent views back towards Paisley.

Edited by Julian Banjos

There's a good walk at the top of Auchenlodment if you want to get the wee one out. After the hairpin, on the left hand side, there are a couple of paths through the fields. Mostly used by dog walkers. Not quite the braes but you get decent views back towards Paisley.

Superb is that Windyhill?