What Is There To Elderslie?

dave.j

By the way, is there something weird in the water in Elderslie?

All 3 of us, our hair has been a riot since we moved in on Friday.

Lol. .

There is a special wee well quite near you on the Main Rd , it is famous for its mineral content , which is mostly iron , by the looks. .

I agree with Windae Cleaner. .

There isn't much to do in Elderslie and they are planning to build another 250 new houses.

To think there used to be 4 pubs in the place down to one now

Maybe that will force them to fix/repair/resurface Auchenlodment Rd. .but I have my doubts. .

I would agree about the 4 pubs ; The Inn , The Cabin , Wallace Tree ,and the Wallace Tavern?

I would agree about the 4 pubs ; The Inn , The Cabin , Wallace Tree ,and the Wallace Tavern?

The Inn was previously the Elderslie Inn, snlt, The Haven before that and (I think) The Trust before that. The Wallace Tavern was better known as Jimmy Blue's. The Ring of Bells was the lounge iirc.

The Inn was previously the Elderslie Inn, snlt, The Haven before that and (I think) The Trust before that. The Wallace Tavern was better known as Jimmy Blue's. The Ring of Bells was the lounge iirc.

Bloody hell I was born in the village and didn't know that , you must be older than I thought , SB zorro.gif Yeh was still the Ring of Bells until it closed , I believe . . drinking beer is a dirty job but someone has got to do it. .tongue.png

I seem to remember his daughter Anita was a rather attractive red head.

Although to be fair my Knave fuelled fantasies at that age made any female from my schooldays seem attractive........................

Think she was the year above me in school.

As for the pubs themselves: I quite liked The Cabin. Quality pie and mushy peas at their quiz night.

A virtual hat and a balloon to anyone who can remember the name of bar/restaurant that The Cabin morphed into.holiday.gif

The Cabin's downfall began when it and The Cross Keys in Houston swapped landlords.thumbdown.gif

All this talk of elderslie, hmm , poor mans Bridge of Weir and some areas of Houston imo.

On the Houston side what the hell happened to the Fox and Hounds ? Place is an utter eyesore now and really drags down what was a fab Main Street with three superb Inns , taverns , whatever. Someone maybe mentioned that the Fox and Hounds is now solely a micro brewery type arrangement. Feckn shame that. Was a bit of a go to boozer for a fair old time.

I seem to remember his daughter Anita was a rather attractive red head.

Although to be fair my Knave fuelled fantasies at that age made any female from my schooldays seem attractive........................

Think she was the year above me in school.

As for the pubs themselves: I quite liked The Cabin. Quality pie and mushy peas at their quiz night.

A virtual hat and a balloon to anyone who can remember the name of bar/restaurant that The Cabin morphed into.holiday.gif

The Cabin's downfall began when it and The Cross Keys in Houston swapped landlords.thumbdown.gif

Brubecks,the manager was an old friend of ours.

You're right about the Cabin

In fact that Landlord is now in the Wee Barrell

Hey , there used to be a guy on here called Chingford , maybe , you know him . .

Ahhh Chingford. Such a pleasant chap. Wouldn't think he'd associate with bluto. :P

Naaaah....

Ching's... er.... Ching was a wanker.

From Elderslie? Grab your camera and head into Paisley.... In advance, contact the guys at the Museum and Art Gallery, arrange to be taken up and into the Coats Observatory, it is fascinating. Admire and photograph Thomas Coats Memorial Church. Go across the road and grab a coffee and pastry in Cardosi's. From Cardosi's walk down the High Street, quickly divert into the Paisley Centre - go into JD Sports and play an entertaining game of 'spot the St Mirren merchandise amongst the Sellik and Barcelona taps'... give up and leave the Paisley Centre. Continue down past the recently renovated Town Hall and go into the Abbey. The folk in there will be happy to tell you tales about the Abbey. Admire the magnificence of it and check out the wee gift shop. Walk towards the Watermill Hotel and go down to the river to view the former Abbey Mill and crashing water on the rocks. Head back into town and go for a toasted bagel with scrambled egg and smoked salmon for lunch in Cafe Lusso just off Moss Street. After lunch, turn right out of Cafe Lusso and in about two minutes you will be on cobbled streets with old style lamp-posts and grand old mansion houses. From there, head home to Elderslie, slap in the St Mirren's Day League Cup DVD, pour yourself a bourbon & coke, raise your glass as Isma equalises and loudly shout 'Up the Saints!'.

A grand day out.

Only problem with Paisley is the tumbleweed bowling down the empty streets.

At least that's how it was today. :unsure:

Perhaps the evacuation of most students was the cause.... Awfy empty.

The shim is a grade one fanny thank fully most of the forum know that.

As for Chingford , met him in a pub in Blackpool during a Saints tour he was in a corner with the a huge oxford dictionary and the Daily Times crossword book of the year. Looked a really cheery chap !

A cheery wanker.... :whistle:

Think your brain has gone with age - pretty sure it was The Challenge before The Haven!

Random Elderslie history. The carpets were made in Elderslie by Stoddards for the Titanic itself and for the movie I believe. St.Patrick reputedly loitered awhile in the village during his pilgrimage. Emperor Haile Selassie during his exile from Ethiopia stopped off to get petrol about 200 yards from where Dave J must be staying. I put a stunning volley through my parents' kitchen window age 12.

Random Elderslie history. The carpets were made in Elderslie by Stoddards for the Titanic itself and for the movie I believe. St.Patrick reputedly loitered awhile in the village during his pilgrimage. Emperor Haile Selassie during his exile from Ethiopia stopped off to get petrol about 200 yards from where Dave J must be staying. I put a stunning volley through my parents' kitchen window age 12.

I like that, thank you.

I was showing my dad on google maps, the house. In my day, he said, all that land behind the house was full of Hillman Imps waiting for trains to take them across the UK.

I take it , you saw him filling up at what was Connolly's in later years , probably 1936 . Where Thorndene housing estate is now was the site of Thorn Hill hospital which would have been the birthplace of many a Buddie born before 1970. .

The Queen visited the village in the 70s.

John Byrne`s Slab Boys play was set in the Carpetfield (Stoddards).

U.S. Governor George Wallace visited the monument in the 70s.

The late Margo McDonald spoke at one of the Wallace Days.

Jim Leighton grew up in Elderslie (via Kilbarchan).

The place is full of history!