The Return Of The Beautiful Game

I think the whole romance surrounding LCFC winning the English Premiership is potentially being over-egged. It is undoubtedly a fantastic achievement, and wholly unexpected, but are they not owned by a billionaire who has ploughed a couple of hundred million quid into the club?

Could be wrong on this, however.

Edited by Drew

I think the whole romance surrounding LCFC winning the English Premiership is potentially being over-egged. It is undoubtedly a fantastic achievement, and wholly unexpected, but are they not owned by a billionaire who has ploughed a couple of hundred million quid into the club?

They keep going on that the team was put together for "only" £30 million.

Wow......what a fairy tale.

I'm glad they won it but.........

Vardy on £75 grand a week, hardly a footballing backwater is Leicester.

They keep going on that the team was put together for "only" £30 million.

Wow......what a fairy tale.

I'm glad they won it but.........

I know. Our team was put together for hee haw and I think the average salary is about £30,000 a year. The Leicester guys will all be multi millionaires and on about £90,000 a week. Different worlds.

When I read that the Leicester players were all going round to Jamie Vardy's house to watch the game last night I had an image in my head of them all squeezed into his living room, fighting for a seat on the couch.

In reality, looking at the footage this morning, the room they were watching the game in looked bigger than a cinema...

Its a different world alright!

But in relative terms its still a fairytale.

Their main striker was playing non league football 4 years ago. Mahrez was signed from the French 2nd tier. Kante was unheard of and had 1 season of top flight French football behind him.

The rest of their squad is made up of journeymen and rejects.

Its not like when Blackburn won the league when they signed up a load of the country's best players.

Leicester's tactics have triumphed against better players.

As I keep repeating... their stats for possession, number of passes, passing accuracy, etc are amongst the worst in the league.

The sit back and defend in depth and when they win the ball they get it forward quickly to a striker with a pace. Their most creative player, Mahrez, does his business in the attacking third and because they hit on the break, he does it with extra space.

Nottingham Forest

Derby County

Portsmouth

For example

It's because it's relative.

Like it or not as St.Mirren fans, we're in a completely different world to the English Premier League.

In fact, the winners of any league in Scotland are in a completely different world to any team in the English Premier League. That's just a fact.

But if anyone out there doesn't think that a team who were just over a month away from relegation last season, then went on an incredible run to stay up, then followed that up the following season by winning one of the most difficult leagues to win in world football, losing only 3 games so far, ISN'T a fairytale in modern day football, then I don't know what is!!??

Edited by Leicester Saint

When I read that the Leicester players were all going round to Jamie Vardy's house to watch the game last night I had an image in my head of them all squeezed into his living room, fighting for a seat on the couch.

In reality, looking at the footage this morning, the room they were watching the game in looked bigger than a cinema...

Its a different world alright!

But in relative terms its still a fairytale.

Their main striker was playing non league football 4 years ago. Mahrez was signed from the French 2nd tier. Kante was unheard of and had 1 season of top flight French football behind him.

The rest of their squad is made up of journeymen and rejects.

And to think he could have been playing for a great team if he hadn't run out on them. whistling.gif

The fact that Vardy is on £90k a week takes the romance out of it.

I disagree.

The romance is the very fact that Jamie Vardy has gone from playing non league football 4 years ago at the age of 25 to earning £90k per week, winning the league with Leicester and getting capped for England.

The romance is that Mahrez & Kante was playing in the French 2nd tier 2 years ago.

Leicester plucked these guys from obscurity and won the league while up against clubs that can afford to sign the best players in the world.

Match of the day mentioned that Man Utd have spent more in the last 2 seasons than leicester have in their entire 132 year history, also the fact the bookies had them at 5000-1 means it's probably the biggest sporting upset that i can think of.