Scottish Election 2016

shull

In another post yesterday, didn't you say no government is ever going to make a difference to anyone's ability to get a good job or get on in life, and it was about time people realised this and stopped expecting politicians to deliver anything and folk should get off their arses and take responsibility for themselves?

Maybe folk listened to you and that's why the turnout was low. Maybe you got through and a whole swathe of the population said, 'fcuk voting for any politician then, they make no difference' and they were most certainly not looking for one with vision and a compelling story to enthuse them to get out and vote.

Voter apathy? Damn right there was. The way the Scottish independence referendum ended as a fractuous, bitter, divisive experience. The apparent inability of Nicola Sturgeon to shut her fcuking gob about 'indy 2' and allow the nation to collectively calm down a bit for a few years - and I say that as a 'yes' voter and someone who likes and voted yesterday for my local SNP candidate Jamie Hepburn. The ongoing 'Euro Brexit' bullshit - which is following much of the scaremongering shenanigans of our 'indy 1' vote with the public having little of substance on which to base their decision. The arse falling out of Scottish Labour with little to inspire their traditional voters to get off their arse and vote. The arse fell out of the Lib Dems world the day Nick Clegg threw away the massive upturn in their fortunes he personally generated - before dropping his boxers and taking it up the arse for David Cameron.

For these reasons, and more, I absolutely believe voter apathy certainly exists. Looks like the Ruth Davidson effect has helped her party do better, and my guess is that for many who voted Tory, they suddenly hadn't found their inner Toryness... they knew Scottish Labour were fooked and were voting against nippy sweetie Sturgeon, who is now actually turning folk off voting SNP due to her apparent inability to accept the undependence referendum was lost, and like a spoilt child, is scweaming and scweaming and will not stop kicking her wee legs until she gets what she wants. My advice to her is very simple. For fcuk sake, shut. the. fcuk. up. about. independence.... for a good while. You lost.

Rant over.

There are now more pro independence MSP's in the new parliament than there were previously as that is the green stance too so I doubt it's going to go away whether we like it or not.

Only those of a certain age will remember the spitting image puppets of Maggie Thatcher and David Steel.

If we had a Scottish version we would have Nicola and Patrick Harvie.

I give you this analogy as Patrick is now Nicola's new best pal since he holds the balance of power.

oh ffs..............Spitting Image on Holyrood.

laugh.png

Would Harvey humping Nicola be the modern take on Reagan does Thatcher , that special arrangement

What says it all is that when given the chance, Scotland voted democratically to remain part of the UK warts and all.

You really need to accept that and move on.

Also, judging by results tonight it looks like the SNP may struggle to get a majority ever again. In that case the case for independence is dead and it appears it woz the Tories wot dunnit.

Time to move on with all of this.

You seem to forget the lies that kept Scotland in the UK. That's why I despise the Tories/ Better together rubbish that was spouted from Darling. Well Labour are finished because they sided with the Tories. Lib are finished because they went into power with the Tories. Milliband lost his job over the Independence question, as will Dugsdale.

However our unionist friends on here seem to still think the organ grinder is somehow a representation of society. Really love that explained as per Life of Brian " What have the Tories ever done for us"

SNP are far from perfect- they have one purpose , its in the title.

Apologies if I offended anyone here, I get very passionate when it comes to my country, and I solely belief that Scottish and British is about as possible as being Irish and British.

However TC out of order and apologise.

There are now more pro independence MSP's in the new parliament than there were previously as that is the green stance too so I doubt it's going to go away whether we like it or not.

Don't get me wrong, I am not asking, nor expecting, talk of independence to have disappeared following the 'no' vote. I voted for independence. I can only speak for myself, and my take on it is that for many nationalists, having garnered a very respectable amount of 'yes' votes, they seem to think they were cheated out of victory and were wronged - and like a dog unwilling to let go of a bone, aren't about to let it go either. What part of the result can't they grasp? An election took place and the 'no' vote won. That fact seems unpalatable for some and they seemingly want to impose the minority will on the country. Ach well, gie's a signing or ten!

You seem to forget the lies that kept Scotland in the UK. That's why I despise the Tories/ Better together rubbish that was spouted from Darling. Well Labour are finished because they sided with the Tories. Lib are finished because they went into power with the Tories. Milliband lost his job over the Independence question, as will Dugsdale.

However our unionist friends on here seem to still think the organ grinder is somehow a representation of society. Really love that explained as per Life of Brian " What have the Tories ever done for us"

Apologies if I offended anyone here, I get very passionate when it comes to my country, and I solely belief that Scottish and British is about as possible as being Irish and British.

My family are British and Irish and are decent.

And being a decent human being is really what it is all about.

Hopefully, you might aspire to that.

Especially when Scotland becomes a Region under European Rule.

Regards

W.S.

Blair and his cronies did more harm to Labour and Scotland than Maggie Thatcher ever did!

They destroyed trust and have made supporting Labour all but impossible.

At the last election I voted SNP as a protest vote against Labour and how I regret it.

I just hope they stop banging on about independence and try running the country for a wee change!

Sturgeon is Tony Blair mk II.

A right wing charasmatic dictator masquerading as a left wing politician!

Power corrupts.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Guest TPAFKATS

What a night.. SNP losing its majority and a Tory surge into second place.

Fantastic stuff all round, beyond even the most optimistic Tories wildest dreams.

Did the snp have a majority to lose?

According to the stv analysis last night ( obviously once the polls had closed) the snp haven't had a majority since Margo died and her seat wasn't filled. This was after they had 2 list msp's who became independents.

Edited by TPAFKATS

And there we have the perfect example of why the SNP majority will continue to decrease.

You really do not get any less democratic than that!

Labour did not "side with the tories". Their stance on a non-party issue happened to be similar.

SNP are siding with the Tories on EU membership going by your thinking. Are you going to criticise or disown the tartan tories?

Of course not! Why?

You answered that question in your original diatribe!

"SNP... - they have one purpose , its in the title."

They were elected to run the country... not bang on about an issue that has already been addressed!

Blair and his cronies did more harm to Labour and Scotland than Maggie Thatcher ever did!

They destroyed trust and have made supporting Labour all but impossible.

At the last election I voted SNP as a protest vote against Labour and how I regret it.

I just hope they stop banging on about independence and try running the country for a wee change!

Sturgeon is Tony Blair mk II.

A right wing charasmatic dictator masquerading as a left wing politician!

Power corrupts.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I think you'll find that Blair gave Scotland the vote to have a Scottish Parliament and delivered the parliament. Not sure why you think he shafted Scotland?

Guest TPAFKATS

And there we have the perfect example of why the SNP majority will continue to decrease.

Labour did not "side with the tories". Their stance on a non-party issue happened to be similar.

SNP are siding with the Tories on EU membership going by your thinking. Are you going to criticise or disown the tartan tories?

Of course not! Why?

They were elected to run the country... not bang on about an issue that has already been addressed!

Didn't Ruth Davidson run her whole campaign on protecting the union?

Of course not! Why?

I think I have indentified my problem. I am a nationalist, but clearly not a rabid nationalist who feels the 45% that did vote 'yes' gives me the platform to go around slapping 'no' voters across the napper with a big stick until they relent and say 'oh for fcuk sake, have independence then, if it will shut you up and stop you slapping me 24/7 with that fcuking stick'.

Ain't happening. Not any time soon at least. I'll live.

Edited by pozbaird

My family are British and Irish and are decent.

And being a decent human being is really what it is all about.

Hopefully, you might aspire to that.

Especially when Scotland becomes a Region under European Rule.

Regards

W.S.

Shull ok I have apologized but don't confuse that be being belittled or making me out to be racist. This is not about people its about parties and policies.

I am Irish by blood, and I also know of the massive political upheavel between the two countries, but lets not go there.

The Tories, once upon a time, did represent the people then along popped thatcher and since then its been any man/woman for themselves which is also why better together won, the fear factor- remember- Banks will leave, shipyards shut, no currency blah blah blah .

Hey I am happily open to hearing why the Tories are a Scottish solution. Trust me SNP aren't, they are a way to Independence, they should not be a party in power, but a party to open the way to power.

What I have seen of the tories/ and indeed Labour on a national scale has been nothing short of a disgrace and I worry about their ties with racist and homophobic orgs. America is about to go in meltdown with Trump feeding fury, I don't want any part of that. I also like you have kids...

So there you go. I will leave this thread and go concentrate on why I am here.......... The Revolution of the Mind that is Saints

Edited by DougJamie

What a night.. SNP losing its majority and a Tory surge into second place.

Fantastic stuff all round, beyond even the most optimistic Tories wildest dreams.

Yes if it wasn't for proportional representation the Tories would still be a backwater party in Scotland. Perhaps they'll look at this and deliver proportional representation to the UK elections. Oh and Agnew and Carswell will play for Scotland one day.

Of course not! Why?

Ok maybe not leave just yet. Buddie, sorry but Labour did side with the tories. The Tories were the Govt, and Darling/Brown (Labour)waved their banner. Cameron managed a trip to Stirling with 20 people in a room.

Correct- The SNP are there for one purpose- Independence- That's it. End Of. If people don't want Independence at the table don't vote for them.

However as demonstrated people keep voting for them. Not sure on your stance on will of the people and all that.

As we are a demorcracy and the SNP continue to succeeed then probably in our lifetime we will be Independent.

Andwhy shouldn't the SNPs side with Tories. My hatred lies with the hierarchy not Ruth Davidson however she is very much tarred as is Dugsdale.

The SNP aren't. White as snow and single purpose of mind. One aim Independence....

Edited by DougJamie

Guest TPAFKATS

I give you this analogy as Patrick is now Nicola's new best pal since he holds the balance of power.

The snp should seek support from all parties in the parliament on a policy by policy basis.

The Tories, Lib Dems, and media spoke more about another independence referendum than Nicola Sturgeon did. She was repeatedly asked about, and, when necessary, responded.

A few rabid SNP supporters on Twitter and elsewhere have also made a campaign out of "indy ref 2", but don't mistake that for the leadership of the SNP. They are more politically astute than that.

I say all this as a relatively satisfied Green Party member this morning.

...................................makes voters apathetic.

Aye OK smart arse. The latter was being blamed for the low turnout when in fact the former should be looked at.

Cause and effect. Its quite important to know which is which if you are actually interested in solving the problem.

Guest TPAFKATS

Constituency vote share:-

Snp increased by 1.1% to 46.5%

Tory increased by 8.1% to 22%

Labour decreased by 9.2% to 22.6%

Lib Dem decreased by 0.1% to 7.8%

Green increased by 0.6% to 0.6%

Regional List:-

Snp decreased by 2.3% to 41.7%

Tory increased by 10.6% to 22.9%

Labour decreased by 7.2% to 19.1%

Greens increased by 2.2% to 6.6%

Lib Dem no change at 5%

Source BBC

Edited by TPAFKATS

The Tories, Lib Dems, and media spoke more about another independence referendum than Nicola Sturgeon did. She was repeatedly asked about, and, when necessary, responded.

A few rabid SNP supporters on Twitter and elsewhere have also made a campaign out of "indy ref 2", but don't mistake that for the leadership of the SNP. They are more politically astute than that.

I say all this as a relatively satisfied Green Party member this morning.

You must be the only vegetarian, Green, St Mirren supporter in the village.

Go Drew!

I think you'll find that Blair gave Scotland the vote to have a Scottish Parliament and delivered the parliament. Not sure why you think he shafted Scotland?

He didn't just shaft Scotland... He shafted the whole of the UK by blindly refusing to listen to the electorate and believing he was beyond reproach.

He surrounded himself with sycophants and went on a power trip covered by spin.

He killed labour as an electable force in Scotland and too many relics from his gravy train remain at a local level for the electorate to yet trust them... as Corbyn is finding out.