Miles short

It is not pre season!!! It's the league cup. Remember the tournament we won 3 years ago in front of a full house at Hampden? Didn't feel like an insignificant tournament then.

Players should have had one week off at the end of the season then started pre season training. No excuse for not being sharp enough now.

Very concerning performances so far, just as many were last season. Rae needs to be told in no uncertain terms how unacceptable this is.

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

It is not pre season!!! It's the league cup. Remember the tournament we won 3 years ago in front of a full house at Hampden? Didn't feel like an insignificant tournament then.

Players should have had one week off at the end of the season then started pre season training. No excuse for not being sharp enough now.

Very concerning performances so far, just as many were last season. Rae needs to be told in no uncertain terms how unacceptable this is.

Get to yir bed, grumpy. 

Although, pre season should begin a week or two earlier to have the players tip top fitness. 

5 hours ago, Kemp said:

He dosent need to be told its unaxcceptable did you not listen to his interview after the game.

Without one influential midfielder (Quinn) we were exposed in lacking anyone to influence play. Mallan is good pushing forward, but not good enough to control things and bring others into the game. Hutton was ineffective too, hopefully he just had a bad game yesterday.

bringing on Walsh and Shankland gave us a bit more hope, but continuing to pump long balls at them just made it as predictable as it is doing that with Sutton and Clarky. Rae needs to be able to play more than one style.

7 hours ago, Kemp said:

Yes it is perhaps not acceptable but everyone seems to think we have suddenly become a team that shouldn't lose to a SPL team. We will be better this season once players are fully match fit, and new ones settle in.

We have no divine right to win a game and form will fluctuate with a team of young talent, potential and seasoned pros over the course if this season. .Hamilton took their chances and we didn't.  Bad day at the office and Alex will sort it out. Remember we did win our first two games against decent opposition.

Guest TPAFKATS

One week off?
Fortunately employment law requires a minimum amount of leave per year. Although I'm sure we can now debate whether the players are employed full time or not. :-P

Sent fae ma fone

On 24/07/2016 at 11:30 AM, nedflanders123 said:

Yes it is perhaps not acceptable but everyone seems to think we have suddenly become a team that shouldn't lose to a SPL team. We will be better this season once players are fully match fit, and new ones settle in.

We have no divine right to win a game and form will fluctuate with a team of young talent, potential and seasoned pros over the course if this season. .Hamilton took their chances and we didn't.  Bad day at the office and Alex will sort it out. Remember we did win our first two games against decent opposition.

What chances? From what I can remember St Mirren had a Mallan shot on goal blocked by a Hamilton player and nothing else to talk about. The whole issue is that St Mirren weren't creating at all whilst defensively sloppy play and silly mistakes meant St Mirren conceded 3. 

I hope you've got your shite about needing time to be match fit and gelling saved. Copying and pasting it will certainly be easier than having to type it out every week. But I'll ask you now, at what point in the season do you expect a professional footballer to be fit enough - if it isn't for the first competitive match of the season? 

3 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

What chances? From what I can remember St Mirren had a Mallan shot on goal blocked by a Hamilton player and nothing else to talk about. The whole issue is that St Mirren weren't creating at all whilst defensively sloppy play and silly mistakes meant St Mirren conceded 3. 

I hope you've got your shite about needing time to be match fit and gelling saved. Copying and pasting it will certainly be easier than having to type it out every week. But I'll ask you now, at what point in the season do you expect a professional footballer to be fit enough - if it isn't for the first competitive match of the season? 

We had plenty of chances - some good , some half . 

Selective memory I think .

4 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

If you can't see the need for match practice etc then you are clueless. Celtic lost to a bunch of part timers as did Falkirk and Killie lost at home to Morton. I would wager both teams will not be fully match fit and will improve and Celtic win the league. As I said it was a bad day at the office and to start knickerwetting before July is out is laughable.  Like others you forget we won our first 2 competitive games.

44 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

If you can't see the need for match practice etc then you are clueless. Celtic lost to a bunch of part timers as did Falkirk and Killie lost at home to Morton. I would wager both teams will not be fully match fit and will improve and Celtic win the league. As I said it was a bad day at the office and to start knickerwetting before July is out is laughable.  Like others you forget we won our first 2 competitive games.

No - I was at the Livingston game and I know only too well that the result papered over some very apparent cracks. The lack of movement throughout the side is blatantly obvious. If you haven't noticed that yet you are clearly clueless. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, munoz said:

We had plenty of chances - some good , some half . 

Selective memory I think .

I honestly can't think of them Munoz. There was an opening in the first half that St Mirren created for Mallen and he scooped it well over the bar but other than that and Mallans deflected shot in the second half I cant think of anything that would constitute as a good chance - and in neither of those instances was their keeper forced to make a save. 

I get that if you can't be optimistic about the season this early on you may never be optimistic, but the two matches I've seen so far St Mirren have been piss poor with very few players getting pass marks in either match. I certainly can't see how some on here seem to think St Mirren have a good squad on paper either. The reality is that it's a paper thin squad with plenty of experience amongst a number of journeymen players in the squad, but there is very little quality with only Irvine, Clarkson and Morgan showing up well in either match. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

I am not a big fan of this "takes a few weeks to get to speed" stuff.

Why are these players not mentally and physically up to speed on day one?

Its their only job FFS.

Can you imagine Andy Murray taking 6 weeks to get to speed at Wimbledon?

At the Aussie open he plays one tournament after 6 or 7 weeks out, usually does well in it and then straight into the Open.

You dont see him struggle to hit form at any stage other than very rarely.

In a recent interview he talked about the risk of using the first set as a way of settling in.

He aims to treat the first game like the last. That way he can win the first set before his opponent has woken up.

That is why he is a winner.

Too many Scottish players perform shite at this stage of the season because they know that culturally they are expected to do so.

Rae is talking about our players cowering out of tackles in a competitive game. WTF?????

Its a bad mentality from players who should be embarassed to call themselves professional.

Edited by oaksoft

2 hours ago, tony soprano said:

Andy Murray took weeks to get 'up to speed' when he returned to playing.

Sent fae ma fone

Andy Murray very rarely takes any time at all to get back to being one of the best in the world regardless of when he returns.

In 2016 alone he has won 46 singles matches and lost just 6.

Over his entire professional career he is at an average win rate of 78% of all matches he takes part in. He has been sustaining or bettering that ratio every single year since 2007 with only his first two years as a pro understandably bringing those numbers down.

If Saints did that we would be sitting on 84 points or thereabouts.

Edited by oaksoft