Can We Risk-A-Rookie?

Forgetting who the next manager may or may not be. Given we are in a relegation fight, with a team that hasnt yet won, can we risk another Rookie to keep us up?

or should we be looking for a beast, to battle for our survival?

Who do you have in mind who isn't a rookie and within our price range?
I don't think a rookie is the answer but can't think of anyone else who fits the bill at the moment.

As soon as Rae left I was 100% of the opinion that the new manager had to be experienced above all else.

Then when you sit down and look at where we are, the size of the club and the finances that are available you realise that any experienced manager with a good track record isn't going to be within our reach unfortunately as the likes of Davies and Hughes have confirmed.

Even in those two cases there would have been risk. Both have had failure as well as success.

Then there is the likes of Gus and Mixu who are certainly experienced without being box office. Both are within reach (you would assume) but one would be divisive having already been here for six years previously and the other had what could only be described as an appalling stint at his last club.

So then you start thinking that the only way we are going to get a stellar appointment is to take a risk on a rookie.

It's a bigger gamble but I remain of the opinion that the failure of Murray and to a lesser extent Teale (who had the rug pulled from under him) shouldn't preclude any future rookie appointments.

Two of our most successful managers in Hendrie and Ferguson were both rookies, whilst Gus himself had never managed before landing our gig first time out.

Of the names I'm seeing being bandied about Jack Ross is the only one that excites me even a bit, and I'm still not 100% convinced.

So, aye. Maybe is the shorter answer to the OP question.

As soon as Rae left I was 100% of the opinion that the new manager had to be experienced above all else.

Then when you sit down and look at where we are, the size of the club and the finances that are available you realise that any experienced manager with a good track record isn't going to be within our reach unfortunately as the likes of Davies and Hughes have confirmed.

Even in those two cases there would have been risk. Both have had failure as well as success.

Then there is the likes of Gus and Mixu who are certainly experienced without being box office. Both are within reach (you would assume) but one would be divisive having already been here for six years previously and the other had what could only be described as an appalling stint at his last club.

So then you start thinking that the only way we are going to get a stellar appointment is to take a risk on a rookie.

It's a bigger gamble but I remain of the opinion that the failure of Murray and to a lesser extent Teale (who had the rug pulled from under him) shouldn't preclude any future rookie appointments.

Two of our most successful managers in Hendrie and Ferguson were both rookies, whilst Gus himself had never managed before landing our gig first time out.

Of the names I'm seeing being bandied about Jack Ross is the only one that excites me even a bit, and I'm still not 100% convinced.

Hendrie wasn't a rookie (2 years at Berwick and 2 at Alloa, promotion at both?)...but apart from that I agree with everything else

When Gus was appointed he was a rookie, 

When Craig, Murray and Rae were appointed they were established managers. 

Every appointment is a gamble. 

A good few years ago, someone took a gamble on me and gave me a senior appointment that I absolutely shone in. Now I'm in a different job and am basically coasting to retirement. If offered that same job again, I'd probably decline but if given it would not put in the same amount of energy and inventiveness that I did then. 

Same with Gus, if he was the same manager that we appointed back in the day then yes go for it, But he's not and I think he'd either not take it or not be arsed if he did.

Maybe Mixu could be our Claudio Ranieri. :-) Bombed at Greece in dramatic fashion after a reasonable management career to then win the unthinkable at Leicester. Given his stint at United he won't get a look in at many clubs down south so I think we would be in with a shout of getting him.

Calderwood is another who always seems to the bridesmaid but never the bride in terms of getting a gig. Since he has left Aberdeen he really hasn't had a decent run at a post. Killie for a few months then abroad for a short time. Really not too sure what he has done since leaving the granite city about 10 years ago.

I am not convinced about Jack Ross and think it's a massive gamble for Gordon Scott and the club but understand every appointment has varying degrees of risk. I just don't think he would be quite ready for us just yet but Alloa have produced a few decent managers over the years so what do I know.

I would be very confident Gus would have us in that top 4 every year until we came up but his football was hard to watch especially once promoted. He would split the support even before a ball was kicked.

Getting a late goal yesterday and seeing the reaction from the fans and the team gives me a little bit of hope that we could turn this round and salvage the season. Priority though is to avoid relegation.

I am sure we will see someone appointed in the next 48 hours or so. Whoever that is they will have my full backing.

COYS

9 hours ago, Mr Zo said:

Maybe Mixu could be our Claudio Ranieri. :-) Bombed at Greece in dramatic fashion after a reasonable management career to then win the unthinkable at Leicester. Given his stint at United he won't get a look in at many clubs down south so I think we would be in with a shout of getting him.

Calderwood is another who always seems to the bridesmaid but never the bride in terms of getting a gig. Since he has left Aberdeen he really hasn't had a decent run at a post. Killie for a few months then abroad for a short time. Really not too sure what he has done since leaving the granite city about 10 years ago.

I am not convinced about Jack Ross and think it's a massive gamble for Gordon Scott and the club but understand every appointment has varying degrees of risk. I just don't think he would be quite ready for us just yet but Alloa have produced a few decent managers over the years so what do I know.

I would be very confident Gus would have us in that top 4 every year until we came up but his football was hard to watch especially once promoted. He would split the support even before a ball was kicked.

Getting a late goal yesterday and seeing the reaction from the fans and the team gives me a little bit of hope that we could turn this round and salvage the season. Priority though is to avoid relegation.

I am sure we will see someone appointed in the next 48 hours or so. Whoever that is they will have my full backing.

COYS

The above highlights what a massive risk it would be to appoint a rookie like Ross. He had as much time as Rae did for us last season to steady their ship, but he got his side Alloa relegated, they were rank and even made us look good.

this season they have had a good start, but that is now falling away. Is that because the Alloa players have now gone bad, or perhaps because of managerial naivety? Regardless, the point is Ross has no experience of taking a relegation candidate and saving them. And that is what we need now... To win ugly.

are the board willing to appoint him, and stick buy him if, as is favourite we are relegated to the third tier..? Given the mess Rookies Have left us in recently will the support stick buy him and the board if we are relegated to the football wilderness..?

Before Murray was appointed i was set dead against it primarily because he hadn't achieved anything as a manager, I Even suggested Ross could come in at that time as number two with an experienced manager to learn from. Since then Ross hasn't achieved yet as a manager and lacks the experience, drive, fight and presence to get this squad to perform and keep us in the league.

he hasnt yet moved on from a potential number two for a club like ours. If we appoint him, then we can expect him to achieve what he did last season and take his club down to the third tier. That is the sum total of his actual managerial achievements to date..... RELEGATION..!

On 02/10/2016 at 7:28 PM, Lord Pityme said:

Not so much about naming names, as what is right for us now. The club made a show of going after two names you wouldn't have thought were in our price range. If we get a rookie and get relegated, how many will take that as part of the re-building process?

What another re-build.