Glasgow Airport - New Pick Up and Drop Off Charges

shull

When I was young, you could go to Glasgow Airport, as a non-flying person, and go up onto the viewing gallery which had an amusement arcade and cafe. You could walk down the long spur of the viewing gallery and watch the planes. Flying was still glamourous and far from an everyday, run-of-the-mill event. At Prestwick, it was even more glamourous, as it was international travel - jumbo jets in exotic livery with far-flung names like 'Northwest Orient'. The viewing gallery was the length of the terminal, there were viewing telescopes that you could use for free by shoving a piece of card in and out - and the place was buzzing with families waving white hankies towards loved ones on-board as Pan Am or Air Canada jumbos sped along the runway. You could see huge visiting US military aircraft, and from my youth I remember the paintings lining the staircase up to the viewing gallery - artists impressions of future aircraft. I took some photos of these paintings a couple of years ago - as keepsakes of youthful memories surely soon to disappear, with Prestwick seemingly now on its last legs. Must dig them out and see if they jog the memories of similarly aged posters on here. Flying was exciting. Airports were exciting. The first few times I actually flew myself - it was like entering another world when you got through security and entered the previously unknown to you world of duty free areas, departure gates, and the prospect of boarding a BEA Trident 3 sending butterflies into your tummy.

Fast-forward many, many years. Flying became routine. Airports closed open-air viewing platforms. At Glasgow though, you could still go up the escalators (as a non-flying visitor to the airport), and cross over the wee tunnel to the front area of the building. Garfunkels restaurant to the right, some shops and you could look out the glass to still see the planes. One window had etched vinyl saying when the Queen opened the airport.

Fast-forward again. Access to that 'front' section of the airport was restricted to those actually flying. If you remember, at this time that meant the Celtic shop suddenly being cut-off from casual non-flying visitors. I said to Mrs Poz that halving the airport in two would harm a business like that - sure enough, in jig time, the Celtic shop moved 'back' so it once more was in a part of the airport accessible by flying and non-flying visitors.

A period of stability in regard to being a non-flying visitor to both Glasgow and Edinburgh airports had arrived. Main car parks were £4 for the first hour. Either dropping off or picking up, you could breeze into the main car park, and trying to time it right, have time to go for a coffee and look around the airport - lots of people waiting at the arrival gates to open trying to spot loved ones shoving their suitcases on a trolley, and acting like they hadn't seen you for a year - when in fact they'd only been in Tenerife for a week. Lots of guys browsing through Top Gear magazine in the wee John Menzies' outlets, bemoaning the loss of a time when you could sneak a quick swatch' at a Men Only or Mayfair from the top shelf... anyone around the age of 55 plus... don't tell me you didn't do it in airports! Anyway - if you were dropping off, you would pay the £4 for an hour, help relatives wheel their luggage in, grab a coffee with them, kiss them on the cheek and wave cheerio... still time to walk across to the car and get out of Dodge before your hour was up.

Fast-forward again. Certainly at Edinburgh, the chunts did away with the 'cheap' first hour, and it went to something like £10 - but you got longer than an hour. However, no-one who did the 'I'll come in with you for a coffee' routine when dropping someone off, or went in for a wander around before picking someone up needed more than an hour to achieve that, nor did they want to pay a crazy amount for doing it like £10. This killed stone-dead the non-flying visitor to the airport terminals. At this juncture, with mobile phones obviously commonplace, all you saw at Edinburgh especially, were cars parked up in long lines at 'wee quiet' streets near the terminal, so your loved one could call you to say 'we're at the pick-up point' and you would start the engine and drive around. Anyone went down the 'side road' that leads to Ingliston exhibition hall!? Cars full of guys usually, half-asleep, listening to Radio 5 Live waiting for their phone to go...

Fast-forward again. Glasgow introduces a £2 charge. For 10 minutes.. so, you'll see the 'Edinburgh' situation replicated big time - hunners' of cars will sit wherever they can, up towards Love Street maybe? Waiting for a call to say 'we're here - and you can get in and out in yer' ten minutes. Just about the only people entering airports now will be those actually flying. Shops like the Celtic shop, and certain food and coffee outlets will suffer. (I have obviously no real concern for how often the tills in the Celtic shop go ker-ching, but I use it as an example of how I see this affecting airport businesses). I will watch with a bit of interest the fate of some airport shops.

All in all, I find it a bit sad. Sorry about the rant, time for a coffee... just not at an airport any more as a non-flyer.

Edited by pozbaird

When I was young, you could go to Glasgow Airport, as a non-flying person, and go up onto the viewing gallery which had an amusement arcade and cafe. You could walk down the long spur of the viewing gallery and watch the planes. Flying was still glamourous and far from an everyday, run-of-the-mill event. At Prestwick, it was even more glamourous, as it was international travel - jumbo jets in exotic livery with far-flung names like 'Northwest Orient'. The viewing gallery was the length of the terminal, there were viewing telescopes that you could use for free by shoving a piece of card in and out - and the place was buzzing with families waving white hankies towards loved ones on-board as Pan Am or Air Canada jumbos sped along the runway. You could see huge visiting US military aircraft, and from my youth I remember the paintings lining the staircase up to the viewing gallery - artists impressions of future aircraft. I took some photos of these paintings a couple of years ago - as keepsakes of youhful memories surely soon to disappear, with Prestwick seemingly now on its last legs. Must dig them out and see if they jog the memories of similarly aged posters on here. Flying was exciting. Airports were exciting. The first few times I actually flew myself - it was like entering another world when you got through security and entered the previously unknown to you world of duty free areas, departure gates, and the prospect of boarding a BEA Trident 3 sending butterflies into your tummy.

Fast-forward many, many years. Flying became routine. Airports closed open-air viewing platforms. At Glasgow though, you could still go up the escalators (as a non-flying visitor to the airport), and cross over the wee tunnel to the front area of the building. Garfunkels restaurant to the right, some shops and you could look out the glass to still see the planes. One window had etched vinyl saying when the Queen opened the airport.

Fast-forward again. Access to that 'front' section of the airport was restricted to those actually flying. If you remember, at this time that meant the Celtic shop suddenly being cut-off from casual non-flying visitors. I said to Mrs Poz that halving the airport in two would harm a business like that - sure enough, in jig time, the Celtic shop moved 'back' so it once more was in a part of the airport accessible by flying and non-flying visitors.

A period of stability in regard to being a non-flying visitor to both Glasgow and Edinburgh airports had arrived. Main car parks were £4 for the first hour. Either dropping off or picking up, you could breeze into the main car park, and trying to time it right, have time to go for a coffee and look around the airport - lots of people waiting at the arrival gates to open trying to spot loved ones shoving their suitcases on a trolley, and acting like they hadn't seen you for a year - when in fact they'd only been in Tenerife for a week. Lots of guys browsing through Top Gear magazine in the wee John Menzies' outlets, bemoaning the loss of a time when you could sneak a quick swatch' at a Men Only or Mayfair from the top shelf... anyone around the age of 55 plus... don't tell me you didn't do it in airports! Anyway - if you were dropping off, you would pay the £4 for an hour, help relatives wheel their luggage in, grab a coffee with them, kiss them on the cheek and wave cheerio... still time to walk across to the car and get out of Dodge before your hour was up.

Fast-forward again. Certainly at Edinburgh, the chunts did away with the 'cheap' first hour, and it went to something like £10 - but you got longer than an hour. However, no-one who did the 'I'll come in with you for a coffee' routine when dropping someone off, or went in for a wander around before picking someone up needed more than an hour to achieve that, nor did they want to pay a crazy amount for doing it like £10. This killed stone-dead the non-flying visitor to the airport terminals. At this juncture, with mobile phones obviously commonplace, all you saw at Edinburgh especially, were cars parked up in long lines at 'wee quiet' streets near the terminal, so your loved one could call you to say 'we're at the pick-up point' and you would start the engine and drive around. Anyone went down the 'side road' that leads to Ingliston exhibition hall!? Cars full of guys usually, half-asleep, listening to Radio 5 Live waiting for their phone to go...

Fast-forward again. Glasgow introduces a £2 charge. For 10 minutes.. so, you'll see the 'Edinburgh' situation replicated big time - hunners' of cars will sit wherever they can, up towards Love Street maybe? Waiting for a call to say 'we're here - and you can get in and out in yer' ten minutes. Just about the only people entering airports now will be those actually flying. Shops like the Celtic shop, and certain food and coffee outlets will suffer. (I have obviously no real concern for how often the tills in the Celtic shop go ker-ching, but I use it as an example of how I see this affecting airport businesses). I will watch with a bit of interest the fate of some airport shops.

All in all, I find it a bit sad. Sorry about the rant, time for a coffee... just not at an airport any more as a non-flyer.

All very true and very sad ☹️

Ps , the big futuristic paintings are still on the staircase walls at Pik. [emoji574]️

I did visit the newly opened Paisley airport on a couple of Sundays cos you could be served beer there as a bona fide  traveller - just as a change from the local mobbed hotels.  But it was gey dull....

it makes sense to me that only travellers should be well catered for at an airport.  That's its function.  Gatwick, Luton and Stansted offer no reason to be landside - better to be swiftly processed thru security, divested of your baggage and be prepared for the flight.

airside travellers can shop to their heart's content, and eat and drink...  (I know I'm past it when I see squads of guys shovelling in pints... At 6.00am...)

yearning for strange halcyon days at airports is like yearning for the age when you sat enjoying a wee cup of tea and a cake at a garage.  Why would you do that rather than visit a more pleasant location designed specifically for that purpose?

48 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

When I was young, you could go to Glasgow Airport, as a non-flying person, and go up onto the viewing gallery which had an amusement arcade and cafe. You could walk down the long spur of the viewing gallery and watch the planes. Flying was still glamourous and far from an everyday, run-of-the-mill event. At Prestwick, it was even more glamourous, as it was international travel - jumbo jets in exotic livery with far-flung names like 'Northwest Orient'. The viewing gallery was the length of the terminal, there were viewing telescopes that you could use for free by shoving a piece of card in and out - and the place was buzzing with families waving white hankies towards loved ones on-board as Pan Am or Air Canada jumbos sped along the runway. You could see huge visiting US military aircraft, and from my youth I remember the paintings lining the staircase up to the viewing gallery - artists impressions of future aircraft. I took some photos of these paintings a couple of years ago - as keepsakes of youhful memories surely soon to disappear, with Prestwick seemingly now on its last legs. Must dig them out and see if they jog the memories of similarly aged posters on here. Flying was exciting. Airports were exciting. The first few times I actually flew myself - it was like entering another world when you got through security and entered the previously unknown to you world of duty free areas, departure gates, and the prospect of boarding a BEA Trident 3 sending butterflies into your tummy.

Ooft! That's a long one (eta - MATRON!).

Away out and get some fresh air, FFS!:P

Edited by Drew

53 minutes ago, antrin said:

I did visit the newly opened Paisley airport on a couple of Sundays cos you could be served beer there as a bona fide  traveller - just as a change from the local mobbed hotels.  But it was gey dull....

it makes sense to me that only travellers should be well catered for at an airport.  That's its function.  Gatwick, Luton and Stansted offer no reason to be landside - better to be swiftly processed thru security, divested of your baggage and be prepared for the flight.

airside travellers can shop to their heart's content, and eat and drink...  (I know I'm past it when I see squads of guys shovelling in pints... At 6.00am...)

yearning for strange halcyon days at airports is like yearning for the age when you sat enjoying a wee cup of tea and a cake at a garage.  Why would you do that rather than visit a more pleasant location designed specifically for that purpose?

Not yearning for the old days, like Fergie's Furies and Love Street, those days are gone, but it's still a bit sad that things have changed so much that a visit to an airport now is merely an exercise in getting in and out in under ten minutes and paying £2 for the privilige. 

I happen to believe it is a poor long-term business decision for the businesses inside airports. The downstairs Starbucks in Glasgow, for example, was always buzzing. As a flying passenger, I never used it, or any of the ground-side businesses. It's always a case of wanting to get checked in, get through security, then find a place for a coffee before flying. I'm not really coming at this yearning for the old days, just wondering how this decision could further harm the airport experience. At Glasgow there are a fair few ground-side businesses. A mini Tesco, Starbucks, Menzies, Wetherspoons, another coffee outlet, maybe some others?

Airports and the wee world of their own they create interest me. I find the bubble they exist in quite an interesting place.

I'm just thinking out loud about an interest I have... 

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Not yearning for the old days, like Fergie's Furies and Love Street, those days are gone, but it's still a bit sad that things have changed so much that a visit to an airport now is merely an exercise in getting in and out in under ten minutes and paying £2 for the privilige. 

I happen to believe it is a poor long-term business decision for the businesses inside airports. The downstairs Starbucks in Glasgow, for example, was always buzzing. As a flying passenger, I never used it, or any of the ground-side businesses. It's always a case of wanting to get checked in, get through security, then find a place for a coffee before flying. I'm not really coming at this yearning for the old days, just wondering how this decision could further harm the airport experience. At Glasgow there are a fair few ground-side businesses. A mini Tesco, Starbucks, Menzies, Wetherspoons, another coffee outlet, maybe some others?

Airports and the wee world of their own they create interest me. I find the bubble they exist in quite an interesting place.

I'm just thinking out loud about an interest I have... 

Fairy Nuff, if that's your bag.  I just see it as a functional facet of life.  I don't like clutter.

Those scant land-side businesses exist in the airports I mentioned.  I use the stores to get fresh milk, bread and a few other bits - maybe salads and an easy meal.  They're there to service arriving passengers. or ease the pain for folk who NEED to wait for arrivals. 

The authorities don't need an infrastructure that will support or attract a local community.  It would be expensive and inefficient.

2 hours ago, antrin said:

Fairy Nuff, if that's your bag.  I just see it as a functional facet of life.  I don't like clutter.

Those scant land-side businesses exist in the airports I mentioned.  I use the stores to get fresh milk, bread and a few other bits - maybe salads and an easy meal.  They're there to service arriving passengers. or ease the pain for folk who NEED to wait for arrivals. 

The authorities don't need an infrastructure that will support or attract a local community.  It would be expensive and inefficient.

It's really not 'my bag'. It's merely an observation about how dramatic the changes have been to the public interaction with airports, and how I forsee the changes being detrimental in the long run to the very place that has introduced these charges, which now sees people drive in and out in minutes, rather than spend time and money ground-side.

'My bag' is following a frustrating fitba' team who play close to the airport in question. I'd be up for paying £2 to spend only ten minutes there instead of about £18 for ninety. :P

Edited by pozbaird

4 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Was there this morning dropping the wife off have to say was very impressed with the new system. Daughter taking the wife to San Diego for a long weekend. They waved good bye and said now look after the dog. Aye very good absolutely fabulous the two of them. 

San Diego? For a long weekend?

Just now, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Daughter is part of the cabin crew. Mum you want to come , of course. I would have said naw if asked. Paisley will be a better place to be this weekend :)

Still a long way to go for such a short time... have been there once, lovely place.

12 hours ago, pozbaird said:

When I was young, you could go to Glasgow Airport, as a non-flying person, and go up onto the viewing gallery which had an amusement arcade and cafe. You could walk down the long spur of the viewing gallery and watch the planes. Flying was still glamourous and far from an everyday, run-of-the-mill event. At Prestwick, it was even more glamourous, as it was international travel - jumbo jets in exotic livery with far-flung names like 'Northwest Orient'. The viewing gallery was the length of the terminal, there were viewing telescopes that you could use for free by shoving a piece of card in and out - and the place was buzzing with families waving white hankies towards loved ones on-board as Pan Am or Air Canada jumbos sped along the runway. You could see huge visiting US military aircraft, and from my youth I remember the paintings lining the staircase up to the viewing gallery - artists impressions of future aircraft. I took some photos of these paintings a couple of years ago - as keepsakes of youthful memories surely soon to disappear, with Prestwick seemingly now on its last legs. Must dig them out and see if they jog the memories of similarly aged posters on here. Flying was exciting. Airports were exciting. The first few times I actually flew myself - it was like entering another world when you got through security and entered the previously unknown to you world of duty free areas, departure gates, and the prospect of boarding a BEA Trident 3 sending butterflies into your tummy.

That brought back a few memories and gave me a few realisations . I remember spending many a 55minutes on a Trident 3 during the Shuttle days when the Trident got you to Heathrow in under the hour , something never achieved nowadays .My lasting memory of the viewing gallery on the roof a Abbotsinch was that it was full the day the Scotland team returned to Abbotsinch from Germany in 1974 undefeated (on a Trident I believe), phenomenal crowds.

l realised that they f**ked up the airport when they stuck that other monstrosity in front of the original terminal building, it was downhill after that . I imagine that the loss of a viewing area must have gotten rid of the hoards of planespotters that used to hang around the terminal , something else from a bygone era perhaps.

I spent 6 years of this lifetime working at the airport and back then you got to know the other people that worked at the airport quite easily , it was like a little community , there was something of a buzz around the place, that you touch on . It was good fun at times and you often saw some famous Scots passing through.

All the latest security measures and the heavily armed cops certainly make it a wee bit more sobering to visit the place . I was at the airport in 2001 as the atrocity in New York was unfolding , there were a lot of worried faces and not just the punters. I remember being abroad on hoilday in 2007 and being told by a fellow Scot at a night out that Glasgow Airport had been closed after a terrorist attack . I suppose it was never the same after that.

Maybe Blur were right afterall . .Modern Life Is Rubbish

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, billyg said:

I don't have a problem with this at all. Edinburgh Airport has been doing it for years and the money made from the scheme has been channelled into attracting new airlines and services to the airport by reducing landing charges in start-up deals etc

Edinburgh has to do it because it's basically charging airlines next to feck all to win the business. Shafting the public and employees along the way. At least Glasgow held off doing it until now. Another reason they're doing it is because of the huge amount of numpties who double/triple park at the existing drop off area, that's DROP OFF area, waiting for Auntie Mabel's delayed arrival from Magaluf. So we've got them to thank as well. I don't blame Glasgow for doing something about it, but a notional £1 charge would have been plenty, £2 is just profiteering and as other's have said, what next ? £2 for a shite in the lavvy and 50p per square of bog roll ? A precedent has been set and don't be surprised to see similar initiatives pop up in other places too.

18 minutes ago, FS said:

Edinburgh has to do it because it's basically charging airlines next to feck all to win the business. Shafting the public and employees along the way. At least Glasgow held off doing it until now. Another reason they're doing it is because of the huge amount of numpties who double/triple park at the existing drop off area, that's DROP OFF area, waiting for Auntie Mabel's delayed arrival from Magaluf. So we've got them to thank as well. I don't blame Glasgow for doing something about it, but a notional £1 charge would have been plenty, £2 is just profiteering and as other's have said, what next ? £2 for a shite in the lavvy and 50p per square of bog roll ? A precedent has been set and don't be surprised to see similar initiatives pop up in other places too.

:lol:

Where to start?

I've no proof, as I doubt you have, that Edinburgh are "charging airlines next to feck all to win the business. Shafting the public and employees along" as I'm sure managing an airports a fairly complex operation.

I also doubt auntie Mabels relatives are the one's to blame either.

Glasgow has, as far as I'm led to believe, built a purpose built drop off point which will make it easier to do as it says on the tin. Sure it will make them money in the long term, I'm sure that what a business is designed to do.

Without knowing the economics of the situation I can't comment on the charge of £2 but ,and it's only a guess, I feel it's not the end of the world.

If your prediction of charging for a shite comes true I will make sure I shite before I go to the airport in future. :lol:

You better go soon then because quite clearly based on your smug, presumptuous response, you are so full of shit you couldn't possibly afford any charges that may be meted out by Glasgow Airport. Whoops, there a wee smilie for ye pal... :rolleyes:

It really is very hard to understand why anyone would give the sum total of two f**ks about this sort of thing.

Use another airport.

Take the train/tube/tram/taxi/go camping instead.

It really is unbelievable. Spending £300-£2000 on a holday and complaining about £2. It really could only be a Scot complaining about that. :lol: