So Farewell Then Mrs Brown's Boy

shull

Mrs Brown's Boys is a tv show I just do not get. Hugely popular with its audience so I suppose I must be missing something. The 'acting' is chronic. I actually find it cringeworthy, embarrassing and amateurish. Happy to acknowledge being in the minority though.

Mrs Brown's Boys is a tv show I just do not get. Hugely popular with its audience so I suppose I must be missing something. The 'acting' is chronic. I actually find it cringeworthy, embarrassing and amateurish. Happy to acknowledge being in the minority though.

I would guess the acting is deliberately bad since Mrs Brown sometimes throw in a different line to wind the rest of the cast up. I enjoy it but can understand it won't appeal to everybody. I shared a table at a do with Dino from the show a few years and he certainly had his moments. Even got my picture taken with John Mcginn that night [emoji106]

I only got into Mrs Brown's Boys about six months ago (aye, ooh err missus, could have re-phrased that), anyway, it had passed me by somehow, and the bits I caught on TV had me mark it down as a throwaway sitcom. My sister-in-law was into it (fcuk sake another ooh err matron!), and insisted I give it a go and she gave us a loan of the box sets. I fell in love with it. Simple as that.

Having watched it all, and the live shows, my gut tells me that Rory Cowan is leaving for two reasons. One is simply he's had 26 odd years of it, and even to the end, his character was something of a bit-part. He, like a few other characters, were only briefly involved. The second reason I would guess, would be the live shows - which are not new material, but material from the TV series taken into a live setting - with a few wee changes, but pretty much just based on the series of the time. To be something of a bit-part actor with few scenes, having already done it in the studio was probably becoming a drag.

Or, of course, he's pissed off with Brendan O'Carroll for some reason. :)

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Love it when they pretend to fluff their lines because they are "laughing" so hard at MB

it's not contrived at all

It's recorded twice, once 'professionally' in the tv studio with correct dialogue and acting, then again that evening in front of an audience as live theatre with all the corpsing and ad libs. What you eventually see on screen is a hybrid edit of both versions. Great bunch of folk to work with, some of the best in fact.

Its up there with Hi di Hi, Aint Half Hot mum and Alo Alo......

Discussed this the other day in what is perceived as funny- TBF- Its in front of a live audience, not canned laughed, funny is personal, so despite peoples views , if the BBC keep renewing it , then its making them money- End Of......

Would Fawlty Towers have been funny if it had done as many shows as Mrs B, I very much doubt it 

4 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Its up there with Hi di Hi, Aint Half Hot mum and Alo Alo......

Discussed this the other day in what is perceived as funny- TBF- Its in front of a live audience, not canned laughed, funny is personal, so despite peoples views , if the BBC keep renewing it , then its making them money- End Of......

Would Fawlty Towers have been funny if it had done as many shows as Mrs B, I very much doubt it 

A lot of people actually find Sarah Milican and Miranda Hart funny. It's a crazy old world right enough. I once insisted that Mrs Poz watch Blazing Saddles, as she'd never seen it. At the end, her verdict was 'stupid rubbish'. I mean, what can you do?

I thought Allo Allo was utter rubbish. I eventually really loved Mrs Browns Boys. My best mate Michael loves the Rolling Stones, me? I like two or three of the big songs, the rest I simply don't see why folk like them.

Funny. Old. World. :)

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

A lot of people actually find Sarah Milican and Miranda Hart funny. It's a crazy old world right enough. I once insisted that Mrs Poz watch Blazing Saddles, as she'd never seen it. At the end, her verdict was 'stupid rubbish'. I mean, what can you do?

I thought Allo Allo was utter rubbish. I eventually really loved Mrs Browns Boys. My best mate Michael loves the Rolling Stones, me? I like two or three of the big songs, the rest I simply don't see why folk like them.

Funny. Old. World. :)

My missus thinks Life of Brian is crap. That must at least 30 years hard labour surely.

I like the new format where Mrs B interviews, as its a live audience its so much better ...... Some stuff on BBC3 is Hilarious- Uncle and so on, but as you say its all about taste.....

I find Shull side splitting, and do believe he is worth a pilot series 

My missus thinks Life of Brian is crap. That must at least 30 years hard labour surely.
I like the new format where Mrs B interviews, as its a live audience its so much better ...... Some stuff on BBC3 is Hilarious- Uncle and so on, but as you say its all about taste.....
I find Shull side splitting, and do believe he is worth a pilot series 

A kamikaze pilot?

:)

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

6 words....

Tearing the arse out of it.

Only my subjective opinion, mind.

I used to laugh at it, but wouldn't bother to sit through it now.

That's how I feel about Michael McIntyre. Initially I enjoyed his humour, as the years have went by, I now find him an irritating pain in the arse*

*see also - David Walliams.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

That's how I feel about Michael McIntyre. Initially I enjoyed his humour, as the years have went by, I now find him an irritating pain in the arse*

*see also - David Walliams.

I concur, on both counts.

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

I concur, on both counts.

...and Eddie Izzard. An absolute comedy genius IMHO..... around the time of his 'Definite Article' show and a couple of shows beyond that. Then.... became Bono in a skirt.

Edit. To be more accurate, Bono in a skirt shoving politics down everyone's throat. Just fcuk off.

Edited by pozbaird

6 words....

Tearing the arse out of it.

Only my subjective opinion, mind.

I used to laugh at it, but wouldn't bother to sit through it now.

How many people counted the 6 words just to make sure it was 6, or just me that doesn't trust Drew? [emoji112][emoji121]

59 minutes ago, Buffs said:

How many people counting the 6 words just to make sure it was 6, or just me that doesn't trust Drew? emoji112.pngemoji121.png

I don't trust any vegetarians, so I counted too. I'm surprised though. It's Drew, it's six words. I was expecting FFSFFS.

He'll get me back.... knife between the shoulder blades at the Buddie Good Food Van... St Mirren Cluedo. :D

Edited by pozbaird