Coronavirus

faraway saint

So, we continue to overreact, make random decisions targeting areas and business's that are contributing very little to the recent rise in cases.
Worldwide, aye, the whole wide world, there's been 124 people per MILLION died of this deadly virus.
That's 1.24% per million.
I'm way past being fed up with this overreactive, scaremongering shite but, as previously, I will play the game.

Eh?

So Sweden has had no increase in cases for 2 months.
The death rate has all but dropped to zero. 
What are the Swedes doing that we, and other countries, aren't?
Are the public more sensible as they are still having a fairly normal life. 
New Zealand, averaging single figures in cases for 5 MONTHS with, and no real surprise, 7 fatalities. 
I could easily dig up other countries who have managed to control this deadly virus but that doesn't suit the agenda of the scaremongers who would have us all live in a cave as the only solution. 
There's probably not enough caves to have one each, or even one per family. What will we do????? [emoji38]

6 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I don't deny services have been cut back due to covid, obviously they have. (and rightfully so to protect some of the most vulnerable in our society). My point is on this story and the clear spin. We are in a horrible situation, there was never a solution where everyone came out of it alive and there were always going to be stories of this nature. It doesn't mean the actions taken weren't the right ones. 

The closure of significant aspects of the health service was one of the biggest scandals of this. 

We are in the middle of a public health crisis, what should we do?

I know, let's send home all the GPs so no-one can get treatment. Then, in a couple of months, we'll send on the head doctor thingy to do a press conference and ask people to still come and see their GP's. Via zoom. 

9 minutes ago, Hendo said:

The closure of significant aspects of the health service was one of the biggest scandals of this. 

We are in the middle of a public health crisis, what should we do?

I know, let's send home all the GPs so no-one can get treatment. Then, in a couple of months, we'll send on the head doctor thingy to do a press conference and ask people to still come and see their GP's. Via zoom. 

It was unavoidable in places, a lot of people going into hospital & doctors would be putting themselves at significant risk. there was no easy, catch-all solution.

There's been a lot of people with this gripe (and fair enough) but I'm yet to hear a solution that wouldn't have risked more spreading of the virus and the issues that go with it. Especially among people with existing health conditions who obviously make up a fair portion of those visiting hospitals and doctors. 

41 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

So Sweden has had no increase in cases for 2 months.

The death rate has all but dropped to zero. 

What are the Swedes doing that we, and other countries, aren't?

Are the public more sensible as they are still having a fairly normal life. 

New Zealand, averaging single figures in cases for 5 MONTHS with, and no real surprise, 7 fatalities. 

I could easily dig up other countries who have managed to control this deadly virus but that doesn't suit the agenda of the scaremongers who would have us all live in a cave as the only solution. 

The statistics for the last week in Sweden suggest something different.

image.thumb.png.9bfaf3e42a3fb720a8b2ba9abb1f525b.png

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus-cases-update-b506060.html

A  sensible, balanced discussion about the situation in Sweden and the dangers of constantly lauding its figures.

Whether Sweden’s strategy is succeeding, however, is still very uncertain.

Now, as infection numbers surge again in much of Europe, the country of 10 million people has some of the lowest numbers of new coronavirus cases -- and only 14 virus patients in intensive care.

Its health authorities, and in particular chief epidemiologist Dr. Anders Tegnell, keep repeating a familiar warning: It’s too early to tell, and all countries are in a different phase of the pandemic.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus-cases-update-b506060.html
A  sensible, balanced discussion about the situation in Sweden and the dangers of constantly lauding its figures.

Now, as infection numbers surge again in much of Europe, the country of 10 million people has some of the lowest numbers of new coronavirus cases -- and only 14 virus patients in intensive care.
Its health authorities, and in particular chief epidemiologist Dr. Anders Tegnell, keep repeating a familiar warning: It’s too early to tell, and all countries are in a different phase of the pandemic.

He's obviously wrong about that as apparently it's a FACT that lockdown is the way to go if you want to save lives. :whistle

1 hour ago, Slarti said:

He's obviously wrong about that as apparently it's a FACT that lockdown is the way to go if you want to save lives. :whistle

It's also a FACT that wearing masks saves lives but despite widespread mask wearing, cases are going back up so clearly that was bollocks as well.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It's also a FACT that wearing masks saves lives but despite widespread mask wearing, cases are going back up so clearly that was bollocks as well.

I only wear a mask at work and going into shops. I haven’t been wearing one in friends and relatives homes. Maybe that was the problem? 

8 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Was round my brothers last night sorting out insurance forms. (Stupid bassa drove into the back of a private hire driver that stopped at an amber light)emoji54.png

Do you have to wear a mask when visiting now? emoji54.png

You're not allowed to visit at all, unless you stay in the garden. Police!

Edited by Hendo

5 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Was round my brothers last night sorting out insurance forms. (Stupid bassa drove into the back of a private hire driver that stopped at an amber light)emoji54.png

Do you have to wear a mask when visiting now? emoji54.png

Didn't you read the news!!!!! You shouldn't have been at his house at all.

You are putting LIVES AT RISK.

Did I strike the right tone of overblown panic there?