Coronavirus

faraway saint

12 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

Sweden didn’t lockdown and have had the least number of excess deaths in Europe

Lockdowns have killed thousands in the U.K and millions worldwide, caused the cost of living crisis, destroyed the education of children, destroyed business, ruined lives, crippled the NHS, plunged millions into poverty worldwide, the rich have got richer and poor have got poorer. 

And all of this was for seen, I stated it would happen from the very beginning

4 points

The Swedish Government had active pandemic planning activities in the years leading up to the COVID 19 pandemic and while not having a knowledge-base that supported their tactic they did have enough quasi-independent advice to allow them to be comfortable with their stance which led to them prioritising the economy.  They knew that any approach would be a gamble .  The fact that they had fewer excess deaths, or at least seemd to, was a very welcome bonus.

The Swedish government did bring in a raft of protections such as shutting down non-essential services, restrictions on the use of public transport, social distancing which was more rigourously observed by the population than here and bans on large gatherings and events.  Swedes were expected to follow very much the same restrictions as ourselves without the legal weight, which was always there and ready to be used if needed, however the Swedes seemed to be far more publc spirited than many other countries

They referred older COVID patients to be moved to palliative and respite care, effectively not giving them restorative medicine and it remains to be seen how many of the people designated as age-related deaths actually died of COVID.  They were effectively sacrifised as no-longer being economically active.

Finally, Sweden has a massive boost to reducing the spread of infectious disease, it has a population density of only 26, Scotland's is more than 2.5 times that and the larger countries in Europe have densities that approach 10 times that of Sweden.  The number of deaths in the few large cities was massively more than the less populated areas, had Stockholm or Gothenburg's figures been typical then the lack of lockdown would have been blamed for a massive wave of death.

My view is that the article that sparked this line of debate was selective and the reality is that it actually argues against it's own point.  There were no studies, no pandemic planning and no modelling  that were done by the responsible body, which is the UK government.  To say that the Scottish Government made it's decisions without evidence is absolutely correct since the people who retained responsibility for this never acted and that is the true reason why the UK's response was so slow and poor

15 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

To say that the Scottish Government made it's decisions without evidence is absolutely correct since the people who retained responsibility for this never acted and that is the true reason why the UK's response was so slow and poor

Are you saying the Scottish Government had no power to make decision on its response to covid? 

14 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

Sweden didn’t lockdown and have had the least number of excess deaths in Europe

Lockdowns have killed thousands in the U.K and millions worldwide, caused the cost of living crisis, destroyed the education of children, destroyed business, ruined lives, crippled the NHS, plunged millions into poverty worldwide, the rich have got richer and poor have got poorer. 

And all of this was for seen, I stated it would happen from the very beginning

To be fair the majority of Swedish people have a bit of intelligence and common sense unlike a high percentage of our countrymen, women and neds.

12 hours ago, Warrior Saint said:

Haha is wee dick doing the grassing🤣

He goes out of his way to troll and antagonise others.  Then, when he gets the reaction he craves, he hits the "report" button and screams with faux outrage about being hard done by, offended, "personal abuse" etc.

I suppose he should be pitied but he doesn't make it easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Not been on here for a long time - but wanted to share - been ill for about 5 days now (fever, aches etc) - with a cough like no other - but not testing positive (daughter tested positive first day) - I finally tested positive last night.

I can honestly say I have never been so unwell in my life - I’ve had some health issues in the last year but this is different level (in terms of symptoms).

Covid is back (In my hoose anyway) - please don’t underestimate this buds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, RichardBuddie said:

Not been on here for a long time - but wanted to share - been ill for about 5 days now (fever, aches etc) - with a cough like no other - but not testing positive (daughter tested positive first day) - I finally tested positive last night.

I can honestly say I have never been so unwell in my life - I’ve had some health issues in the last year but this is different level (in terms of symptoms).

Just heard the government have brought the vaccination program forward a month due to a new variant.

Fortunately, the vaccination is keeping most people safe, hope you get well soon mate. 

2 hours ago, RichardBuddie said:

Sorry to hear that Richard.

Hope you and your daughter feel better soon. 😥

• 2 weeks later...

Son in law tested positive for the 4th time earlier in the week.

Thankfully just heavy cold like symptoms. 

Between him, my daughter and granddaughter they've proved positive 11 times since this shitty virus appeared. 

As my daughter works with vulnerable people she's had to take time off work to protect her clients.

Fortunately they've all only experienced the cold/flu type symptoms.

I'm due my booster later this month. 👍

So, after managing to avoid covid when it was rife, it finally got me.

My symptoms were slight cough, sore throat, aching joints and constant nausea, although it never progressed to vomiting. 

Fortunately these symptoms only lasted 24 hours and today I've only a little bit of a sore throat, cough and slight ache in certain areas but, all in all, I'm,  fingers crossed, past the worst.

Back to work tomorrow.  👍

23 hours ago, faraway saint said:

So, after managing to avoid covid when it was rife, it finally got me.

My symptoms were slight cough, sore throat, aching joints and constant nausea, although it never progressed to vomiting. 

Fortunately these symptoms only lasted 24 hours and today I've only a little bit of a sore throat, cough and slight ache in certain areas but, all in all, I'm,  fingers crossed, past the worst.

Back to work tomorrow.  👍

Still not 100%, luckily today I finish at one so I should get through it and rest up over the weekend. 

Cough and sore throat and tired. 

Unfortunately Mrs Faraway has caught it so hopefully it'll be passed the worst in 24 hours. 

36 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Still not 100%, luckily today I finish at one so I should get through it and rest up over the weekend. 

Cough and sore throat and tired. 

Unfortunately Mrs Faraway has caught it so hopefully it'll be passed the worst in 24 hours. 

Why are you going to work today?