We Buy Any Car

faraway saint

Thinking of buying a new car, not interested in an electric or even a hybrid.

Just punched in the details of my existing car to We Buy Any Car, so that gives me an idea of its worth before I try to trade it in.

Never used them before, heard/read mixed reports.

Anybody used them? 

Any other options that people have used? 

Edited by faraway saint

A good number of years ago I had to get rid of my mum's car after she died.

There was only just over a month before it needed a service, MOT, Road Tax and Insurance. It was only worth about a grand so I took the easy way out and sold it via We Buy Any Car.

I had to take it to a unit in an industrial estate in Hamilton where I was met by a typical used car salesman.

The transaction went smoothly but whether I might have got more for it if I tried to sell it privately, who knows.....

Edited by ianmac

35 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Just punched in the details of my existing car to We Buy Any Car, so that gives me an idea of its worth before I try to trade it in.

Anybody used them? 

Compared them with Arnold Clark buybacks and found AC to be better valuations 

This was around this time last year when valuations were strong as used car market was strong and new car delivery was longer than expected 

37 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Anybody used them? 

Heard they go over your car with a fine tooth comb to find faults and defects. So only estimated quote online. 

5 minutes ago, alanb said:

Compared them with Arnold Clark buybacks and found AC to be better valuations 

This was around this time last year when valuations were strong as used car market was strong and new car delivery was longer than expected 

We normally use AC anyway so they'd be the direct comparison. 

Its still a similar situation with the used car market, works both ways, better selling valuation but higher cost to buy.

10 minutes ago, pod said:

Heard they go over your car with a fine tooth comb to find faults and defects. So only estimated quote online. 

I've "heard" mixed reports so real experience would be more helpful. 

I'm aware the online valuation is, as it only can be, an estimate. 

You can't blame any company looking closely at buying any car, so would you if you were buying. 

Pretty decent, to say the least, reviews.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.webuyanycar.com

image.png.fae77219383b9b7a3c5cd6f06211d7c8.png

Edited by faraway saint

I sold my car last May and looked at We buy, Motorway etc and in the end the dealer offered me the best price. 

The online webuy price changed significantly over the space of 7 days and I found Motorway disappointing, they essentially set up an auction for your car, my car was a clean low mileage car just over 3 years old.  Their suggested price and reserve price was in line with the highest I’d had offered elsewhere but on auction day the closest bid was about £4k down. 
I think the market is a bit less volatile now than May but my advice would be not to budget on the offer or suggested price from these buyers until you have the cash in your hand. 

2 minutes ago, DumboBud said:

I sold my car last May and looked at We buy, Motorway etc and in the end the dealer offered me the best price. 

The online webuy price changed significantly over the space of 7 days and I found Motorway disappointing, they essentially set up an auction for your car, my car was a clean low mileage car just over 3 years old.  Their suggested price and reserve price was in line with the highest I’d had offered elsewhere but on auction day the closest bid was about £4k down. 
I think the market is a bit less volatile now than May but my advice would be not to budget on the offer or suggested price from these buyers until you have the cash in your hand. 

I'm looking to use it as a starting point and I'll see what AC come up with.

I'm in no rush so I can take as long as it takes to get the car and as reasonable a price as I can, I won't be rushed. 

8 minutes ago, Bgsaint said:

Looking at getting rid of the wife’s car. We buy any car offered more this month than they did 2years ago which shows what’s happened to the used car market. Motorway estimated about 40% more than we buy any car. 

Motorway declined to offer due to the age of the car. :lol:

Almost 9 years old. 

4 hours ago, Bgsaint said:

Weird, my wife car is 14 years old, low mileage right enough. 

Just tried again, this is the message I get............................I feel victimised. 

I continued to this "Car Buying Group" who have come up with a value over £400 more than We Buy Any Car.

All well and good as I'm sure there would be a reduction but, as I said, it's only to give me an indication before I try a dealership. 

image.png.b1701703b3418741b0e00ee9ab4feb66.png

Edited by faraway saint

7 minutes ago, Smithers Jones said:

The estimate you receive will be way above the figure that you will actually get. WBAC used to have an office in Merlin House, Hillington Ind est which I used. They did, however, take an Astra off my hands which was absolutely gubbed 😄

So, they could have used you in their current advertising campaign dancing about after taking the rust bucket off your hands? 😉

15 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Anybody used them? 

it will be quick and easy and will give you less than a dealer trade in would offer.  The dealers no longer follow the traditional model of inspection and will only give it a quick drive and review of the paperwork before offering anything between £500-2500 more than WBAC.  I took my Honda civic to them last year and got a matching offer for a trade-in from a dealer, thought twice and got 2 grand more from Arnold Clark and that figure  was less than £500 shy of what i paid for it 2 years before-from Arnold Clark!  They didnt even twig that the turbo had a highly probable oil leak (minimum £1200 to fix!).  What i took from that is that you might get a keen price for a used car from AC but any defects are passed on to the next buyer so it pays to get a quick report done on the car.  I used to always call the prvious owner from V45 details but with mobiles replacing landlines and GDPR you cant get to the previous person anymore

5 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

it will be quick and easy and will give you less than a dealer trade in would offer.  The dealers no longer follow the traditional model of inspection and will only give it a quick drive and review of the paperwork before offering anything between £500-2500 more than WBAC.  I took my Honda civic to them last year and got a matching offer for a trade-in from a dealer, thought twice and got 2 grand more from Arnold Clark and that figure  was less than £500 shy of what i paid for it 2 years before-from Arnold Clark!  They didnt even twig that the turbo had a highly probable oil leak (minimum £1200 to fix!).  What i took from that is that you might get a keen price for a used car from AC but any defects are passed on to the next buyer so it pays to get a quick report done on the car.  I used to always call the prvious owner from V45 details but with mobiles replacing landlines and GDPR you cant get to the previous person anymore

I should add, dealer number one (i think it was a Vardy store or similar) asked me why i hadnt taken up their offer and i told them AC offered 2 grand more and a volvo select warranty.  They then said that they would have matched.  Who would have wasted the time to get a match from someone you now know was ripping you off (not that arnold doesnt rip you off as well)?

CR-v is heavy on fuel, but i loved the one i had as a team pool car and as manager i hogged it.  I rate it above competitors like the X-trail (or n-trail as i call it), the toyota equivalents or any vauxhalls

My daughter has a Kuga, she loves it but the son in law bumped it and the mG was the courtesy car.  She hated it.  Price wise the Kuga falls in the middle and is worth a drive

I saw good deals on Volvo XC 40s last summer, highy recommended and maybe the best small SUV based on the model hstory 

9 hours ago, Smithers Jones said:

The estimate you receive will be way above the figure that you will actually get. WBAC used to have an office in Merlin House, Hillington Ind est which I used. They did, however, take an Astra off my hands which was absolutely gubbed 😄

was it red? If so its probably the one my wife bought 

You could have warned me

6 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

CR-v is heavy on fuel, but i loved the one i had as a team pool car and as manager i hogged it.  I rate it above competitors like the X-trail (or n-trail as i call it), the toyota equivalents or any vauxhalls

My daughter has a Kuga, she loves it but the son in law bumped it and the mG was the courtesy car.  She hated it.  Price wise the Kuga falls in the middle and is worth a drive

I saw good deals on Volvo XC 40s last summer, highy recommended and maybe the best small SUV based on the model hstory 

Any info on Mazda?

I had a Mazda 6 a few years ago, great car, nice inside, possibly the best car I've had, but I hasten to add I'm not "into" cars. 

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Any info on Mazda?

I had a Mazda 6 a few years ago, great car, nice inside, possibly the best car I've had, but I hasten to add I'm not "into" cars. 

Depends on what size of car you are looking at, from above sounds like small SUV, the Mazda 5 is a nice car only had one as a courtesy car, when my 2 was in for service and the 3 looks really nice rated by Chris Harris of Top Gear.