Fraser Taylor - Loan to Ballmena Utd

24 minutes ago, truesaint said:

Good luck to them both - hopefully plenty game time ahead 

2 hours ago, golf buddie said:

Would have hoped both might have played at higher level, especially Offord

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

I’m not sure Offord is ready yet for a step up from where he played part of last season .  A season in Lg 1 will do him the world of good …… if he gets regular game time. I’m not sure he’d get much game time in the championship. 

Taylor is going to play at the same level as McMenamin did , which I would say isn’t much different from the standard of lg1 here. 

• 4 months later...
On 12/23/2023 at 5:20 PM, portmahomack saint said:

That was dreadful at times.. even when we had a bit of the game midway through the second half,  up front we're totally toothless 

Mark O'Hara totally off it all season but there's nothing on that bench right now any better, but we do have a clever wee player out on loan at Ballymeana 20 year old Fraser Taylor bring him back and give him a chance

There you go found it  :rolleyes:

Unfortunately it would appear that amongst the dizzy echelons of the SPL, our management team do not consider that any of our promising youngsters are good enough to mix with the greats of Scottish football. Whereas, in the Premier League in England, a number of clubs have no such hesitation in blooding young players at the top level.

Against Celtic last night we were literally operating without a midfield - no tackles - no energy - no play making.

And up front we are still persevering with a toothless bought-in strikeforce.

St Mirren used to be a club who developed their own younger players - but that is the case no longer, despite having a good academy setup.

38 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Looks like someone else's grandson has been let go. emoji849.pngemoji6.png

My grandson is only 5 years old - so we're not at that stage yet!

I was just reflecting on the fact that there was no one from the academy who featured last night and in recent months only 2 or 3 have had fleeting opportunities to display their talents in the first team. Even Jim Goodwin gave youth more of an opportunity to shine.

The lack of genuine opportunities for our academy players is a concern for me.  Yes one or two get a few cameos but precious few see any decent runs in the team.  
The model of bringing in “underperforming” players from lower leagues and hoping to turn them round to be sold for a profit seems to be to the detriment of our own youngsters. 

The lack of genuine opportunities for our academy players is a concern for me.  Yes one or two get a few cameos but precious few see any decent runs in the team.  
The model of bringing in “underperforming” players from lower leagues and hoping to turn them round to be sold for a profit seems to be to the detriment of our own youngsters. 
Hopefully with a coach leaving last summer things will improve. I know a parent of a former youth who said it would be a good thing for us that he is no longer at the club. [emoji1696]

7 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Totally agree... While I don't expect them to get it right every time with English lower league recruits we surely can find and give homegrown talent a better platform than they're getting now.. 

Lewis Jamieson showed to me in the Aberdeen alone he is far more talented and has a lot more potential than the 2 that started yesterday, yet we have hardly seen him, at 22 he's no baby he should be a lot more involved, Maybe it's because we have 6 forwards in the first team squad, for a club our size that seems far too many to me... 

I always thought 4 was our quota,  I'd be trying to punt 2 or {3. bring in one} of them in this window.. which 2/3 would you look to let go 

Based on league games 

These stats won't tell you everything about what a player brings to the team but a striker is mostly judged on how many times he can hit the back of the net 

Ayuga,   Grieve   Jamieson,   Mandron,   Nahmani,   Olysanya, 

Minutes on pitch          572         433           236                894             230              801 

Goals                                 2             2                1                     3                   1                    1  

And you can't pick them all  :rolleyes: 

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Hopefully with a coach leaving last summer things will improve. I know a parent of a former youth who said it would be a good thing for us that he is no longer at the club. emoji1696.png

The problem ATM is that, even when we have youngsters doing well in the academy, our first team management team are either not interested in playing them or they don't trust the lads to make the step up. I don't think losing one youth coach is going to waive that mistrust.

The problem ATM is that, even when we have youngsters doing well in the academy, our first team management team are either not interested in playing them or they don't trust the lads to make the step up. I don't think losing one youth coach is going to waive that mistrust.

[emoji1787]

As it could cost him his job, the manager would and will pick what he considered are the clubs best players.

10 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

emoji1787.png

As it could cost him his job, the manager would and will pick what he considered are the clubs best players.

Maybe it's more to do with a lack of trust that the lads can't replicate what they show in training. That's more to do with the manager's lack of belief than the ability of the boys in question. IF he thinks none of our young players will make the grade then something is very wrong with this supposedly elite academy.  These lads will NEVER get real game time while the manager lives in fear of playing them. Even when they do well they are, in the main, dropped back to the bench or even out of the squad. We are a club that needs to be bringing youth through and selling them on.

16 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Maybe it's more to do with a lack of trust that the lads can't replicate what they show in training. That's more to do with the manager's lack of belief than the ability of the boys in question. IF he thinks none of our young players will make the grade then something is very wrong with this supposedly elite academy.  These lads will NEVER get real game time while the manager lives in fear of playing them. Even when they do well they are, in the main, dropped back to the bench or even out of the squad. We are a club that needs to be bringing youth through and selling them on.

Or maybe he uses the reports he gets back from the individuals that he sends to watch them that to decide they're not developed enough for first team football in the top league.

It looks like he's read the situation with Lewis Jamieson extremely well.

Although I'm sure he'll be grateful for you sharing your wisdom on how to bring young players through.

Edited by FTOF

14 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Or maybe he uses the reports he gets back from the individuals that he sends to watch them that to decide they're not developed enough for first team football in the top league.

It looks like he's read the situation with Lewis Jamieson extremely well.

Although I'm sure he'll be grateful for you sharing your wisdom on how to bring young players through.

I disagree. I think he's handled Jamieson very badly. Flitting him on and out for no apparent reason when the lad did ok is, for me, more likely to demoralise and demotivate the player. And I'm NOT sharing my "wisdom". Like most on here, I'm merely giving my opinion which you seem to decry by giving your own words of "wisdom".. Or is that not allowed in your small world?

13 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I disagree. I think he's handled Jamieson very badly. Flitting him on and out for no apparent reason when the lad did ok is, for me, more likely to demoralise and demotivate the player. And I'm NOT sharing my "wisdom". Like most on here, I'm merely giving my opinion which you seem to decry by giving your own words of "wisdom".. Or is that not allowed in your small world?

It's fortunate for us all that you're not the manager.

You stated, "That's more to do with the manager's lack of belief than the ability of the boys in question"

That's not an opinion.

You're stating that Robinson has no belief in his younger players. Asked him did you?

You've clearly got a beef with our youth system. That's fine, but it skews your views on the matter.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

It's fortunate for us all that you're not the manager.

You stated, "That's more to do with the manager's lack of belief than the ability of the boys in question"

That's not an opinion.

You're stating that Robinson has no belief in his younger players. Asked him did you?

You've clearly got a beef with our youth system. That's fine, but it skews your views on the matter.

Nonsense. It was my opinion.  Read what I said FFS. I started that statement with "Maybe".Or do I have to explain that I DIDN'T ask the manager?

ETA I also followed up with "IF he thinks none of our young players will make the grade "

Now please behave. That statement was my opinion just as your statement is NOT fact but simply your OPINION. .We simply differ in our opinion so please refrain from deciding what I think.

Edited by stlucifer

The lack of youth players getting a chance in the first team is concerning and it's pretty much been the case since Robinson came in. Whether that's because he doesn't rate them or they aren't ready/good enough I'll leave for others to debate because I know very little about the situation in the academy (not that lack of knowledge usually stops people having arguments online). Does anyone who knows about our youth teams know who is likely to be the next to come through? It is a bit of a surprise we found ourselves with no one to put in midfield on Tuesday, or have been playing guys out of position at right wing back rather than giving a young guy a shot. I'm guessing the guys we have in those positions either aren't deemed ready or are out on loan.

You'd have to imagine Reid and whoever we lost to Burnley (apologise, forgot his name) would have been involved by now if they had hung around. It's probably the first time we've been victims of losing kids who have barely kicked a ball for the first team because a bigger club is happy to spend relatively little in the hope they come good. There's not really much else we could have done with them. Henderson would maybe have been a bit more involved had he stayed and I'd have liked us to keep him and let someone like Olusanya go if we could find a taker, even if he has improved, but he obviously wanted more regular first team football, which he wasn't going to get with our system - and seemingly hasn't at County because of injury.

I think some of the kids got some game time in the League Cup. Since then, we've rarely been in a position to chuck the young guys on for some experience late on without any pressure to do something because most of our league games have been tight. I did find it odd we didn't put Jamieson on against St Johnstone (and we made a number of subs at 3-0), however he then got brought on against Hibs and has had some game time since then. Apart from him, I don't think we've had that many young players on the bench - I think Lennon was on it for one league game and away on loan shortly after.

It's a shame as since we sold Erhahon - and Robinson deserves a lot of credit for his progression, even though he was well established in the first team when he arrived - we haven't really had one of our youth products getting regular first team games and I can't remember the last time we have been in that position for as long as this. We had a great run of midfielders and you can draw a pretty much unbroken line from Erhahon back as far as you care to go - I'd traced it back to McLean, then remembered Stephen McGinn - and he broke through at pretty much the same time we sold Lappin (with Shuggy there the whole time!). And that's not forgetting guys in other positions who did well for us like Naismith, McAusland, Baird and Kelly, who were all good players even if they didn't get big moves.

Hopefully Taylor will get his shot, either this season or next. Going by his comments on the Open Goal podcast, Robinson really rates him - however given he joked he'd have liked to loan him to Barcelona for experience due to his style of play I don't think he would have been the answer on Tuesday night!

Edited by Stu

20 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Nonsense. It was my opinion.  Read what I said FFS. I started that statement with "Maybe".Or do I have to explain that I DIDN'T ask the manager?

ETA I also followed up with "IF he thinks none of our young players will make the grade "

Now please behave. That statement was my opinion just as your statement is NOT fact but simply your OPINION. .We simply differ in our opinion so please refrain from deciding what I think.

Behave yourself.

No amount of whataboutery will change the phrase, "That's more to do with the manager's lack of belief than the ability of the boys in question".

No "maybe" or "if" in there.:whistle

Anyway, you'll be happy to know this will be my last post on the matter. Fact.:wink:

Edited by FTOF