In other news - random news stories of interest

W6er

22 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Well show me the expert opinion sources you consulted

Yes your majesty, the source is called Records for Scotland and is a Scottish government department. I have attached a screenshot from your broadcasting company which highlights the news Sire. 

F4DB493A-9CFE-4C74-BCA3-9044CD898E0C.jpeg

Edited by ALBIONSAINT

On 2/9/2024 at 1:40 PM, portmahomack saint said:

I'd ban the stuff altogether, Prohibition is what we need,  I've got loads of unused empty containers gathering dust since you right wing assholes took us out the E.U.

I could turn them into Moonshine factories and speakeasies providing cheap drink for everyone, while supporting independence with my ill gotten gains. 

Just what this town needs another Al Capone 

You would have loved 1903. Bring back the coffee houses! 

https://www.scotsman.com/whats-on/arts-and-entertainment/the-history-of-scotlands-dry-temperance-towns-1483804

8C0F503C-51A0-4A20-8101-81DC8A49C7B3.jpeg

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I concur, hubris sets in and they become completely obsessed with self preservation. That’s why we have democratic elections every four years. 

The trouble with elections is the lying goes into free fall... look at 2019 and the North of England....Levelling up ....HS2.. and of course before Brexit... but who do you believe... even the Greens are at it..  the cost to our countryside...lithium batteries... transferring gender rights....teach it at primary school  .... I think vote none of the above and just avoid the news channel indefinitely. 

8 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Amazing. Bet the tickets cost a fortune 

No cheap but, I have to be honest, a wee bit lees than I envisaged. 

$300 is about £237, suppose for a once in a lifetime experience and you like U2 worth it. 

Tickets at Stubhub and Vivid Seats but they're priced at $300-600 for general admission and approximately $2,000 to more than $4,000 for VIP. The final dates brings the tally to more than 40 shows, with the recently added dates happening throughout the remainder of February and early March 2024.

Putin "at it" again.

Russia's most significant opposition leader for the past decade, Alexei Navalny, has died in an Arctic Circle jail, the prison service has said.

President Vladimir Putin's most vociferous critic, he was serving 19 years on extremism charges that were widely seen as politically motivated.

Navalny was moved to one of Russia's toughest penal colonies late last year.

His wife Yulia has appealed to the international community "to help punish this regime".

One of his closest allies, Anti-Corruption Foundation chief Ivan Zhdanov, said it was "highly likely" Navalny had been killed and that a "murder had actually happened".

The prison service in Russia's Yamalo-Nenets district where Navalny was being held said he had "felt unwell" after a walk on Friday.

He had "almost immediately lost consciousness", it said in a statement, adding that an emergency medical team had immediately been called and tried to resuscitate him but without success.

Another small, but possibly significant, erosion of his "popularity possibly?

The Ukraine shambles has dented his support and this act will further see a growing feeling of displeasure amongst the Russian public.

Unfortunately it's hard to see anything coming of this as he continues to rule by force although history has seen this approach slowly, but surely, fail throughout the years.

Meanwhile in the good old USA another nutter has been hit where it hurts.

It's hard to believe what's going on over there, couldnae make it up TBH.

Donald Trump has been ordered to pay more than $350m, and with interest he and his co-defendants will need to cough up more than $450m.

The bombshell ruling from Justice Arthur Engoron comes after a civil trial in New York that was filled with drama.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-68132436

Another sign the world has gone PC mad....................

Wales and Ireland have to stop wearing their national colours, red and green as some people are colour blind and have trouble identifying each team.

Give me fecking strength. 

Oh I should add this is only when they play each other.......................suppose that's ok then. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Wales and Ireland have to stop wearing their national colours, red and green as some people are colour blind and have trouble identifying each team.

Oh I should add this is only when they play each other.......................suppose that's ok then. :lol:

So the first international rugby match between these two sides was 1882.

One hundred and forty two years of history. Green vs Red. 

One in 12 men suffer from colour blindness.

I wonder why the players down the years on each side never complained or campaigned as there must have been some greatly affected. 

https://www.itv.com/watch/news/wales-and-ireland-to-play-in-red-and-green-for-last-time-ever/9tkr30m

https://www.colourblindawareness.org

16 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

So the first international rugby match between these two sides was 1882.

One hundred and forty two years of history. Green vs Red. 

One in 12 men suffer from colour blindness.

I wonder why the players down the years on each side never complained or campaigned as there must have been some greatly affected. 

https://www.itv.com/watch/news/wales-and-ireland-to-play-in-red-and-green-for-last-time-ever/9tkr30m

https://www.colourblindawareness.org

Aye, as I said, PC madness.

Nothing is safe from some nutters who will justify it for some obscure reason.

I'm deliberately going out today with green trousers and a red top, that'll feck them up. 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, as I said, PC madness.

Nothing is safe from some nutters who will justify it for some obscure reason.

I'm deliberately going out today with green trousers and a red top, that'll feck them up. 

It would be interesting to know how much money passes through this charity and into the pockets of the office holders. 
There are a number of local charities that I support but some of these national organisations are incredible cash generators for directors. 

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

How on earth is that either PC or anything "gone mad"?

I listened to a detailed report and discussion on it on Thursday and  I have to say it seems well grounded in science, there are colour blind players on both side who struggle with the red-green clash and it has simply been swept away by the Welsh authorities. There are current guidelines that advise against the clash and apparently it will become mandatory next year.  It also affects every other team as the red=green is not the only problem for man folks

A sizeable minority have real trouble following these games on TV and it is not as if either side hasn't voluntarily worn a change strip for other reasons.  

2 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

How on earth is that either PC or anything "gone mad"?

I listened to a detailed report and discussion on it on Thursday and  I have to say it seems well grounded in science, there are colour blind players on both side who struggle with the red-green clash and it has simply been swept away by the Welsh authorities. There are current guidelines that advise against the clash and apparently it will become mandatory next year.  It also affects every other team as the red=green is not the only problem for man folks

A sizeable minority have real trouble following these games on TV and it is not as if either side hasn't voluntarily worn a change strip for other reasons.  

Shut up. 🤣🤣🤣

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Scotland wore thier white top against Costa Rica (red) in 1990 because of the clash for those watching in black and white tv's.

• 1 month later...

Some other madmen (2) attacking, and killing, innocent members of the public in Sydney,

Early reports saying several have been stabbed, including a baby, with 4 killed.

One of the loonballs, seemingly, has been shot.

Hope it hurt before he died. :(

Update, only one madman, killed, 5 now dead. 

Edited by faraway saint