In other news - random news stories of interest

W6er

A head teacher commited suicide earlier this year after a poor Ofsted visit.

Not sure Ofsted can be held responsible, although the way they delivered the report was possibly unsubtle.

Are employers or inspectors responsible for the ability of employees to withstand criticism? 

I fear that's the way we're heading. 

Firefighters get compensation for attending the Grenfell tower fire.
Great, I'm looking for cash for going to my workplace every day for almost 50 years.
An absolute joke. [emoji107]
Didn't you get compensation for injuring yourself on something that you knew could hurt yourself. 🫕......... [emoji1787]

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

Didn't you get compensation for injuring yourself on something that you knew could hurt yourself. 🫕......... emoji1787.png

No. 

The duty is on the employer to provide a duty of care.

My employer DIDN'T provide that which resulted in a massive pay out to me. 

There are risks in many jobs which employees accept. 

Edited by faraway saint

Seen/heard snippets of this last night on the way home, a strange one and I'm sure it'll become clearer in the coming days.............

A 17-year-old British boy missing for six years has been found in France.

Alex Batty is at a young person's centre in Toulouse and could be back in the UK within hours, the prosecutors' office in the city told the BBC.

Alex used a motorist's phone to message his grandmother in the UK, saying "I love you, I want to come home".

He had been missing since 2017, but was found on Wednesday morning by the motorist who spotted him walking through rain near Toulouse.

Full details here..................

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67718158

Edited by faraway saint

That's not discrimination, that's good work practice to ensure the best person gets the job fairly and to protect the company from any discrimination claims.
What if a black lesbian got the job? According to the CEO, that person (assuming the company isn't already full of black lesbians) wouldn't be checked by her. If you are singling out a specific demographic for different treatment, it's discrimination.

7 hours ago, Slarti said:
9 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:
Why wouldn't it be legal? The CEO ensured that the best person got the job, so no one can accuse the company of a breach of equality act.

But if she's only checking "non-diverse" appointees, it's discrimination.

Anything that the original poster sticks up should be questioned for veracity.

Here’s a similarly “taken out of all context” quote to balance his bollox and give you a better understanding of the CEO’s actions.

Aviva’s own 2022 latest gender pay gap report reveals that 278 senior leaders at the insurance company are female, and senior male employees account for more than double this, at 560.

Meanwhile, just 78 of Aviva’s senior leaders are ethnically diverse, versus 670 who are white.

The figures hardly scream that Aviva is anti-white or anti-male.

What Blanc appears to be saying (if clumsily) here is that the organisation is looking to clamp down on ‘jobs for mates’ and make sure that historically discriminated against people get the same opportunities as others. This is not about refusing white men, a diverse group of people within itself, a place at the table unless they do not deserve it.

There is far more to diversity and discrimination than gender or race, and this is something that insurance companies do need to get to grips with.

Nevertheless, Blanc and her top team are not wrong to scrutinise hiring processes.

Just saw an item on the BBC news that "spiking" is continuing to be an issue across the country.

I'm astounded, although that's probably an age thing, that it's a growing issue.

On a brighter note the law is to be upgraded to, hopefully, hammer these weird individuals.

I would have thought peer pressure would have seen a reduction but it seems it's become more socially acceptable. 

9 hours ago, antrin said:

Anything that the original poster sticks up should be questioned for veracity.

Here’s a similarly “taken out of all context” quote to balance his bollox and give you a better understanding of the CEO’s actions.

Aviva’s own 2022 latest gender pay gap report reveals that 278 senior leaders at the insurance company are female, and senior male employees account for more than double this, at 560.

Meanwhile, just 78 of Aviva’s senior leaders are ethnically diverse, versus 670 who are white.

The figures hardly scream that Aviva is anti-white or anti-male.

What Blanc appears to be saying (if clumsily) here is that the organisation is looking to clamp down on ‘jobs for mates’ and make sure that historically discriminated against people get the same opportunities as others. This is not about refusing white men, a diverse group of people within itself, a place at the table unless they do not deserve it.

There is far more to diversity and discrimination than gender or race, and this is something that insurance companies do need to get to grips with.

Nevertheless, Blanc and her top team are not wrong to scrutinise hiring processes.

“Checked for veracity” that made me chuckle.  You can be the official veracity officer for the general nonsense section of BAWA. I will however have to check your not “non-diverse” or the other posters will rebel in horror. Good luck with your new post 🫡

• 4 weeks later...

One can only speculate as to what the purpose of these tunnels was:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67938683

The tunnels were built under a prominent street in Brooklyn, where the Chabad-Lubavitch headquarters are located. The building is one of the most significant Jewish sites in the city.

(...)

It is unclear who built the tunnel, how they did it and what their motivations were. It appears the tunnel connects to at least one other building on the street in Brooklyn.

45 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

No wonder Humza he was keen to go to the Cop. Secret meeting with Erdagon to arrange his in-laws escape from Gaza to Turkey. Did he organise for any other Scottish citizens to escape Gaza? Of course not.

356A8225-7753-4E00-9771-2F62DDFBA01A.jpeg

Don't talk sh!te. More SNP bad from those afraid of independence.

39 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

As far as I'm aware, we don't actually know the purpose of the meeting. However, I do not believe a First Minister ought to be chaperoned by a 'UK official'.

I do think, with the UK acting as the World's policeman again yesterday, that it's time for Scottish independence. 

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

Those afraid of independence are growing by the day. Your going to have to offer more that pejorative language to argue for it while the snp are in power.

8 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Those afraid of independence are growing by the day. Your going to have to offer more that pejorative language to argue for it while the snp are in power.

On the contrary. You're equating SNP support, which will bounce back as the truth of labour's real message of more tory cuts and no real benefit for the lower paid in society emerges, with the level of support for a free Scotland. The emperor's new clothes will be hung out to dry. Even with the smear campaigns, the level of support for independence remains at roughly the same level as before. Flitting between high 40s and low 50s. I fully expect that to tilt toward the top end soon.

Edited by stlucifer

17 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

On the contrary. You're equating SNP support, which will bounce back as the truth of labour's real message of more tory cuts and no real benefit for the lower paid in society emerges, with the level of support for a free Scotland. The emperor's new clothes will be hung out to dry. Even with the smear campaigns, the level of support for independence remains at roughly the same level as before. Flitting between high 40s and low 50s. I fully expect that to tilt toward the top end soon.

Got to admire your optimism, still doesn’t take away from the mess the current SNP government have created. 

Edited by ALBIONSAINT

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Got to admire your optimism, still doesn’t take away from the mess the current SNP government have created. 

Just to clarify, I am not a supporter of the SNP. However, I am a supporter of independence. The sooner, the better.

12 hours ago, W6er said:

As far as I'm aware, we don't actually know the purpose of the meeting. However, I do not believe a First Minister ought to be chaperoned by a 'UK official'.

I do think, with the UK acting as the World's policeman again yesterday, that it's time for Scottish independence. 

Especially when said "chaperone" is an unelected, failed ex PM.