In other news - random news stories of interest

W6er

On 1/12/2024 at 9:23 PM, ALBIONSAINT said:

Those afraid of independence are growing by the day. Your going to have to offer more that pejorative language to argue for it while the snp are in power.

There's "growing" and there is sitting on your phone with a biscuit barrel between your "growing" thighs all day.

On 1/14/2024 at 5:14 PM, pod said:

Your right, lets shut down all Universities so that everyone gets an equal chance. 🤪

Not having a degree didn't stop me from progressing in my career, however when I identified a gap in my professional profile i studied for a degree.  Scotland is indeed a nation of lifelong learning, for those who can be arsed.

On 1/29/2024 at 5:37 PM, Albanian Buddy said:

Well I’m glad it’s none of the scientists I worked with on the first modern day climate change study that I worked on from 1990. I was responsible for setting up the computing and data storage infrastructure for this project. 

As I mentioned on another thread it’s important to understand and clarify your sources of information (or misinformation). 

The last sentence sums it up….

IMG_7299.jpeg.ec119908cdae7b93c875d3453179ae49.jpeg

I wish the Daily Mail and the Sun would both go to “sleep” permanently. 

And I was the CDM co-ordinator on a small project at the Beatson, it doesn't mean I helped treat cancer.  The guy in charge of the Beatson previously had been in my class at St Mirin's, maybe I can claim to have been a person of influence there?

8 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

There's "growing" and there is sitting on your phone with a biscuit barrel between your "growing" thighs all day.

Get it right, it’s donuts. You having a bad day because Nicola was on with the crocodile tears? 😝

C7E4D659-8BE8-4253-99BB-2015485AC1C2.jpeg

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Tartan Taliban at it again. They won’t be happy until alcohol in Scotland is as sparse as alcohol in Saudi Arabia. 

031AA7C3-800E-482B-8883-7772FB7E1F67.jpeg

I believe this is just another case of the tail wagging the dog. My only hope is that enough people stand up and say enough is enough and convince their representatives to vote against this ridiculous policy which has never worked. What is required is education. Spain, France and countries prove that price is not the driving factor. This policy is just playing to the anti alcohol brigade, mainly in the green party, who basically want alcohol to be outlawed.

St James Business Centre near Asda closing in April , all the businesses have been given 2 months notice and it will be demolished in April. Assuming that one of the big freight companies based down there must be expanding ? 

18 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Tartan Taliban at it again. They won’t be happy until alcohol in Scotland is as sparse as alcohol in Saudi Arabia. 

031AA7C3-800E-482B-8883-7772FB7E1F67.jpeg

I'd ban the stuff altogether, Prohibition is what we need,  I've got loads of unused empty containers gathering dust since you right wing assholes took us out the E.U.

I could turn them into Moonshine factories and speakeasies providing cheap drink for everyone, while supporting independence with my ill gotten gains. 

Just what this town needs another Al Capone 

18 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I believe this is just another case of the tail wagging the dog. My only hope is that enough people stand up and say enough is enough and convince their representatives to vote against this ridiculous policy which has never worked. What is required is education. Spain, France and countries prove that price is not the driving factor. This policy is just playing to the anti alcohol brigade, mainly in the green party, who basically want alcohol to be outlawed.

What about the research in Scotland that says there have been 13% fewer alcohol related deaths that have been attributed to this policy?  I'm never happy to pay more for stuff but I can say that I am far less likely to buy in stashes of alcohol than I was before the hike and as a consequence i do drink less now.

The only thing wrong with this policy is that the retailers get to keep the difference when it should be used to support public services or drug and alcohol abuse mitigations.

I should add, I can't find any evidence of the Greens wanting to ban alcohol, so, source?

Edited by beyond our ken

2 hours ago, billyg said:

St James Business Centre near Asda closing in April , all the businesses have been given 2 months notice and it will be demolished in April. Assuming that one of the big freight companies based down there must be expanding ? 

Or more housing?

8 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

I'd ban the stuff altogether, Prohibition is what we need,  I've got loads of unused empty containers gathering dust since you right wing assholes took us out the E.U.

I could turn them into Moonshine factories and speakeasies providing cheap drink for everyone, while supporting independence with my ill gotten gains. 

Just what this town needs another Al Capone 

Right wing? I don’t think you have to have right wing leanings to know or believe this is a terrible piece of legislation. 

6 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

What about the research in Scotland that says there have been 13% fewer alcohol related deaths that have been attributed to this policy?  I'm never happy to pay more for stuff but I can say that I am far less likely to buy in stashes of alcohol than I was before the hike and as a consequence i do drink less now.

The only thing wrong with this policy is that the retailers get to keep the difference when it should be used to support public services or drug and alcohol abuse mitigations.

I should add, I can't find any evidence of the Greens wanting to ban alcohol, so, source?

I am not getting into the holes in the 13% fewer deaths research that was used. Plenty others have torn it apart.

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

Well show me the expert opinion sources you consulted

Read and research the full article and you will perhaps find the answer you seek. 

IMG_7574.thumb.jpeg.5bf921c9ec8d5f7d1273791972c0d6ed.jpeg

This policy has failed. The SNP policy appears to be along the lines of….

“Don’t back down - double down!”

I would hazard a guess it will be a treble or quadruple measure.

I will never go for another party in a Uk election because I believe in an independent Scotland UNLESS I think ALBA could win in the area i live. This is NOT about the SNP. It's about why they were formed. I hope to convince any who are being duped by all the unionist, nonsensical media coverage not to be fooled into voting for red Tories who are paying lip service to Scotland to steal their votes before ignoring their wishes. SNP is the only vote that gets us to where we need to be. THEN we can consider getting rid of the SNP.

Edited by stlucifer

17 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I will never go for another party in a Uk election because I believe in an independent Scotland UNLESS I think ALBA could win in the area i live. This is NOT about the SNP. It's about why they were formed.

Trust has been lost. It’s not about being “duped”. It’s about being lied to. 

10 hours ago, DougJamie said:

It just what political parties do.... 

It was ever the case that following gaining power the impetus, once the initial policy programme has been dealt with, changes to maintaining power over ideology, and that is all parties.

Edited by StanleySaint

5 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

It was ever the case that following gaining power the impetus, once the initial policy programme has been dealt with, changes to maintaining power over ideology, and that is all parties.

I concur, hubris sets in and they become completely obsessed with self preservation. That’s why we have democratic elections every four years.