Bottom at Christmas

As it's the half way point , it's worrying to think 'if' we replicated the 1st half of the season then the teams above us would only need 2 wins each from their last 18 games to see us relegated.

I however think we will be off bottom of the table by the end of January , starting with a 3-1 win this weekend.

I also think soon we will hammer a team 5-1 , I thought that would of been the Ayr game but oddly enough I really think we will hammer someone soon.

Just now, shull said:

Deserved and true unfortunately. 

We are not entitled. 

Yep, agree with this. No-one has gerrymandered the leagues to put St Mirren in a false position. There's been no points deductions, just piss poor football. 

What I find revealing, and I'm hearing it from my two sons as well, is that St Mirren fans appear to be accepting the woeful results and lowly league position while talking up the abilities of a number of St Mirren players. One of my sons claimed yesterday having watched the Manchester United v Sunderland match that Kyle McAllister would do well in the Sunderland squad. The truth is that he's millions of miles away from being good enough for the Under 23's squad never mind the Premiership itself. 

Yep, agree with this. No-one has gerrymandered the leagues to put St Mirren in a false position. There's been no points deductions, just piss poor football. 
What I find revealing, and I'm hearing it from my two sons as well, is that St Mirren fans appear to be accepting the woeful results and lowly league position while talking up the abilities of a number of St Mirren players. One of my sons claimed yesterday having watched the Manchester United v Sunderland match that Kyle McAllister would do well in the Sunderland squad. The truth is that he's millions of miles away from being good enough for the Under 23's squad never mind the Premiership itself. 

What exactly qualifies tgat as "the truth" Stuart?

Surely that is an opinion?

16 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

And how exactly does the position of a team that a young lad has just joined reflect "the truth" about his ability?

Admit it... This is no more than your opinion.

Oh yes, that is my opinion. I think it's a far more realistic appraisal of a player in a side sitting adrift at the bottom of the Scottish Championship than much of the deluded shit I see on here though - and even in my home from my own son. Do you think Kyle McAllister would have been picked ahead of Victor Anichebe yesterday? 

Oh yes, that is my opinion. I think it's a far more realistic appraisal of a player in a side sitting adrift at the bottom of the Scottish Championship than much of the deluded shit I see on here though - and even in my home from my own son. Do you think Kyle McAllister would have been picked ahead of Victor Anichebe yesterday? 

So finally you admit that something stated as "fact" is actually no more than your personal opinion!

Merry Christmas Stuart!

What do I think? It's really not that important. I'd rather just support the lads continued development.

Kyle is 17 years old. No one (that I know anyway) is saying he would make their first team today.

To put it into perspective, he could develop in the U-23 'Premier League 2' for the next SEVEN seasons (well, six and a half to be exact!).

Edited by ScotstounSaint
Being exact to combat pedantry

14 hours ago, faraway saint said:

:lol::lol::lol:

The bookies are rich BECAUSE of statistics ya idiot. :1eye 

Run along to general nonsense where you can waffle around till your hearts content and stay away from football, which you know nothing about. :byebye

I said there were NOT MANY rich gamblers out there. I didnt say there were none.

I keep forgetting the level pf pig ignorance I am attemtping to engage with.

Edited by oaksoft

52 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I did not state it was fact. I said it was the truth.

... and BinEK posted "fact"... This is like a re-run of 'Paisley wouldn't give a fcuk' over 'no-one in Paisley would give a fcuk' should St Mirren actually do a George Michael.

Whataboutery, semantics, flim-flam...

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I said there were NOT MANY rich gamblers out there. I didnt say there were none.

I keep forgetting the level pf pig ignorance I am attemtping to engage with.

Clown......................usual tactic, body swerving the "statistic" point because you don't have a clue. :1eye

Run along................try and engage with Rick, he's an easier target. :byebye

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Clown......................usual tactic, body swerving the "statistic" point because you don't have a clue. :1eye

Run along................try and engage with Rick, he's an easier target. :byebye

You really shouldn't use this juvenile 'run along' slogan so often... especially when you've not shown the bottle to run alongside me.... if you can.

Pretending to IGNORE, doesn't let you off that easy...  plumpy saint.  :byebye

In the last 20 seasons, the team bottom of the Championship/Division 1 at Xmas has been relegated in 16 of those.

In 2 of the 4 seasons where the bottom team at Xmas survived, those teams had been deducted points and so were in a bit of a false position. In another (2008/09), Airdrie were spared relegation due to Livingston's financial irregularities. So the 1 'standard' time the team bottom at Xmas has survived was 2012/13 when Dumbarton were 7 points behind but had 2 games in hand, they ended the season in 7th.

So, in the last 20 years (and for 'normal' seasons) no one has managed to survive after being 7 or more points behind and with no games in hand at Xmas..........but none of those clubs were the mighty St Mirren [emoji4]
Capture.PNG

Good post, as you point out if you're bottom at Christmas you're most likely going down. We are no different in this regard. I wonder what the stats are for teams who were bottom on the 13th of January? Because no matter what happens between now and then, we will be.

As you mention, us being bottom isn't the biggest problem. I would bet most of those teams were within 3 or 4 points of 9th at Christmas. We aren't, we are 7 points behind. That's the biggest problem.

That Dumbarton team of 12/13 who you mention who pulled off the great escape had 17 points after 18 games. Our escape will need to be even greater. Not impossible of course, but by any rational analysis it's extremely unlikely.

4 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Good post, as you point out if you're bottom at Christmas you're most likely going down. We are no different in this regard. I wonder what the stats are for teams who were bottom on the 13th of January? Because no matter what happens between now and then, we will be.

As you mention, us being bottom isn't the biggest problem. I would bet most of those teams were within 3 or 4 points of 9th at Christmas. We aren't, we are 7 points behind. That's the biggest problem.

That Dumbarton team of 12/13 who you mention who pulled off the great escape had 17 points after 18 games. Our escape will need to be even greater. Not impossible of course, but by any rational analysis it's extremely unlikely.

Oh god, poor Oaky, more evidence he doesn't have a clue.

I have to say the regularity of being bottom and going down even surprised me.

I was basing my question/thread more on the EPL where it's a fairly regular occurrence.

Still, nothing is impossible. :thumbs2

What's the odds on us escaping?

3 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I remember a player playing for St Mirren struggling in the Scottish Championship

That player played and won a Champion's League medal

Snobbery is rife everywhere it seems

17 hours ago, ScotstounSaint said:

In the last 20 seasons, the team bottom of the Championship/Division 1 at Xmas has been relegated in 16 of those.

In 2 of the 4 seasons where the bottom team at Xmas survived, those teams had been deducted points and so were in a bit of a false position. In another (2008/09), Airdrie were spared relegation due to Livingston's financial irregularities. So the 1 'standard' time the team bottom at Xmas has survived was 2012/13 when Dumbarton were 7 points behind but had 2 games in hand, they ended the season in 7th.

So, in the last 20 years (and for 'normal' seasons) no one has managed to survive after being 7 or more points behind and with no games in hand at Xmas..........but none of those clubs were the mighty St Mirren :)

Capture.PNG

I dont see how any of this is relevant to our current plight because it infers that had all these teams survived that our battle would be easier. Past events only control the present and future when you allow them to by psyching yourself out.

21 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Jeez. The number of misery junkies on here is intolerable. <_<

If we are relegated it will be because our players have decided to give up and believe it is inevitable.

Hopefully they wont read the utter pish on here including all the stats nonsense.

More likely it will be because the players weren't good enough. More time on the training pitch is what they require. It would certainly do them more good than reading a forum.