Jim Goodwins Thoughts.........

HSS

If we can just stay up, Hibs and Dundee United go up, that would see the likes of ICT, Partick, Killie, Accies come down. Depending on who comes up from League One too, we won't be anywhere near challenging for promotion from the Championship next season. Falkirk and Morton might though.

I said when we dropped down we were looking at between five and ten years before bouncing back to the top flight with a totally new-look side from the one dropping down. I did not forsee us being so bad as to be detached at the bottom of the Championship. Never, ever even entered my head that we would be anywhere else than treading water for years as a middle table club.

I'd settle for staying up, followed by years of stability in the boardroom, in the manager's office, and as a mid-table Championship club. Nice words from Jim, but sorry, it looks a very, very long shot. Fitzy probably thinks we'll romp it if we do stay up mind you.

Edited by pozbaird

27 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If we can just stay up, Hibs and Dundee United go up, that would see the likes of ICT, Partick, Killie, Accies come down. Depending on who comes up from League One too, we won't be anywhere near challenging for promotion from the Championship next season. Falkirk and Morton might though.

I said when we dropped down we were looking at between five and ten years before bouncing back to the top flight with a totally new-look side from the one dropping down. I did not forsee us being so bad as to be detached at the bottom of the Championship. Never, ever even entered my head that we would be anywhere else than treading water for years as a middle table club.

I'd settle for staying up, followed by years of stability in the boardroom, in the manager's office, and as a mid-table Championship club. Nice words from Jim, but sorry, it looks a very, very long shot. Fitzy probably thinks we'll romp it if we do stay up mind you.

Tom Hendrie's title winning season came completely out of the blue, MacPherson's less so but we were nowhere near favourites to win the division in most peoples mind at the start of that season - anybodies?

I also didn't reckon we'd bounce back at the first attempt, few do, but in the new league setup we don't have to win the division to get promoted and in the circumstances JG mentions (no Hibs or Dundee Utd.) a play-off spot (fourth or better) should still be a realistic target and one that we should be challenging for most seasons - I'd argue fourth out of ten is pretty much mid-table.

OK, it's far cry from our current position but like I said it's a ray of sunshine.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Tom Hendrie's title winning season came completely out of the blue, MacPherson's less so but we were nowhere near favourites to win the division in most peoples mind at the start of that season - anybodies?

The Sutton/Adam signings were huge at the start of that season. As a Gus side, we were always going to be solid, but they added the craft and the goals.

That has got to be the model for us now in the short term - build from the back, become a solid/stuffy side if we have to, then try to add dashes of quality where we can.

On topic - Jim is a legend. I'll change my 'Top Man' when a suitable new candidate arrives in the stripes, and no sooner.

If wecould scramble to safety this season, and we get have some continuity in charge of the football team, and support from the board, there is no reason why we can't compete at the right end of the table next season. You only have to look at Morton this season, a team who lost many of their good players last season but have recruited well and have a good manager, who has them organised and playing decent football. If they can do it, why can't we? There is no reason.

The hard part in that scenario is what we are doing now - trying to stay up.

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

If wecould scramble to safety this season, and we get have some continuity in charge of the football team, and support from the board, there is no reason why we can't compete at the right end of the table next season. You only have to look at Morton this season, a team who lost many of their good players last season but have recruited well and have a good manager, who has them organised and playing decent football. If they can do it, why can't we? There is no reason.

The hard part in that scenario is what we are doing now - trying to stay up.

The problem there, going on last Saturday's performance, I didn't see much "trying". Though I did find the whole experience thus.

• 1 month later...