The 3 Monthly Spend

Kombibuddie

Not sure about anybody else, but the 3 monthly spend is becoming a chore and completely uninspiring.

Whilst I appreciate the SMISA guys are trying to do their best, what about aiming for something higher than knee height?

Gawd help us when we own the majority of the shares "this 3 monthly spend, what type of rubber bands should we get?"

1 hour ago, melmac said:

Not sure about anybody else, but the 3 monthly spend is becoming a chore and completely uninspiring.

Whilst I appreciate the SMISA guys are trying to do their best, what about aiming for something higher than knee height?

Gawd help us when we own the majority of the shares "this 3 monthly spend, what type of rubber bands should we get?"

I`m sure they would welcome any suggestions. 

Thats not a flippant comment btw, genuinely if any Bud has got ideas for the next , subsequent or combined quarterly spends im sure they will be considered.

1 minute ago, Yflab said:

I’ve been considering writing to them to see how much it would cost to get some massive flags that could be waved by the ball boys after we score a goal. I believe Aberdeen have some. Would add to the match day experience.

We could always use the ones we didnt use during Ian Murrays tenure. 

18 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I`m sure they would welcome any suggestions. 

Thats not a flippant comment btw, genuinely if any Bud has got ideas for the next , subsequent or combined quarterly spends im sure they will be considered.

I would prefer it was spend on improving the stadium, like the disabled platform,  more ambitious long term projects like MELMAC has indicated,   filling the corners, replacing the dome for a more permanent structure,  snowball protection screen for Alex Rae,,  lets finish the job that the old board started.   face painting and jugglers my kids would have a fit if someone painted whiskers on their face, mind you their in there 30s  

7 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

I would prefer it was spend on improving the stadium, like the disabled platform,  more ambitious long term projects like MELMAC has indicated,   filling the corners, replacing the dome for a more permanent structure,  snowball protection screen for Alex Rae,,  lets finish the job that the old board started.   face painting and jugglers my kids would have a fit if someone painted whiskers on their face, mind you their in there 30s  

Dont forget the magicians..!

who never tires of a slightly whiffy, inebriated old codger reaching out towards your ear, pulling his hand back and saying "look you had fifty pence in your ear..,"

at which point a cute young buddy may turn to their guardian and say "da... that clown says he pult 50p oot my ear... a put a quid in there earlier"

3 minutes ago, melmac said:

Alas, whilst I hear what CG says, I suspect any suggestions would be met with the "has this been fully costed bla bla". I'm not aware of any smisa guys being on here now.

Its strange how all the requests from the club and committee  get voted on, but ideas from the members are held at arms length as you say. And the Smisa committee wonder why they don't get much engagement from the members?

Must admit seems a bit like we must spend all money for the sake of it.  While some have been important and no doubt some will be in the future but it would be nice to see some money saved for a bigger fans project. Not wanting any thanks but it would also be nice to here from parties who have benefited. 

20 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Must admit seems a bit like we must spend all money for the sake of it.  While some have been important and no doubt some will be in the future but it would be nice to see some money saved for a bigger fans project. Not wanting any thanks but it would also be nice to here from parties who have benefited. 

Aye, I'm certainly coming round to this way of thinking. 

Most of the suggestions are reasonable and several have been laudable, but I very much agree that we shouldn't be spending money for the sake of it.  The disabled platform was a fantastic (if long overdue) initiative, but others have seemed a bit less, let's nust say, strategic.

Perhaps SMiSA could run a wee poll to see what members think about this.  I would welcome any plan to put money aside for a more ambitious project such as one that would enhance the stadium as suggested previously.

Edited by Drew

On 1/25/2018 at 1:37 PM, melmac said:

ideas have got to be costed and achievable. In the grand scheme the money we get every quarter is pocket change and as such should be treated that way. Sports scientist and analyst by all accounts seem to have had a profound impact on the team so I really don't see the issue there. Supporting the woman's team is a very nice gesture from fans at the club that will no doubt help the local community. The children entertainer idea will result in no financial impact for the club but may increase revenue, again what's the issue? 

Are some fans wanting us to use the roughly £8k to build a new stand or maybe add an East wing to Ralston :lol: 

Fans will say we can save the money for bigger ticket items. Not only is that an option by voting no, even saving the money for say a year isn't going to be a massive value compared to the running of a football club. 

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Aye, I'm certainly coming round to this way of thinking. 

Most of the suggestions are reasonable and several have been laudable, but I very much agree that we shouldn't be spending money for the sake of it.  The disabled platform was a fantastic (if long overdue) initiative, but others have seemed a bit less, let's nust say, strategic.

Perhaps SMiSA could run a wee poll to see what members think about this.  I would welcome any plan to put money aside for a more ambitious project such as one that would enhance the stadium as suggested previously.

Following on from my previous post, if people aren't happy with the vote no option then we could possibly look at doing it a bit different. I know some fans want longer term benefits, others are happy with short-term and the majority don't overlay have an opinion and know the main priority is the £10/ £23 commitments. 

Maybe in the interest of innovation they could shake up the voting structure a bit and have an option saying 'carry the money for more expensive future projects' 'Put money to buy-out' The way that would work for me is only fans voting no to both of those options would get the option to vote on the small ticket items. If a majority have voted in favor of putting money to buy-out/ expensive future projects - then that would be the option that would pass over the small ticket items. Or is that possibly overkill? 

9 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Following on from my previous post, if people aren't happy with the vote no option then we could possibly look at doing it a bit different. I know some fans want longer term benefits, others are happy with short-term and the majority don't overlay have an opinion and know the main priority is the £10/ £23 commitments. 

Maybe in the interest of innovation they could shake up the voting structure a bit and have an option saying 'carry the money for more expensive future projects' 'Put money to buy-out' The way that would work for me is only fans voting no to both of those options would get the option to vote on the small ticket items. If a majority have voted in favor of putting money to buy-out/ expensive future projects - then that would be the option that would pass over the small ticket items. Or is that possibly overkill? 

I'm pretty sure that used to be listed as an option. It certainly was on occasion.

I think given my experiences in life, and no doubt those of a fair few on here! If Smisa cant find a way/ways to effectively engage the membership so that The Members are getting to vote on options put forward by other members. Then interest will wane. At the moment if you were to take a purely cynical overview of what options get put to a vote, and who puts them forward it looks mainly like uninspiring cash grabs by the club out of the Smisa lucky bag.

its no use the Smisa committee simply saying every time a member puts an idea up that "it has to be fully costed and any impact on the club known and approved". The Smisa guys should be engaging with members and helping them flesh these ideas out with the club. Surely that is the main reason we decided to Buy The Buds? So that fans/members could play their part in improving all aspects of their club.

and if the Smisa committee dont think their 'reason for being' is to be that link between club and member, then what on earth is it?

35 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I think given my experiences in life, and no doubt those of a fair few on here! If Smisa cant find a way/ways to effectively engage the membership so that The Members are getting to vote on options put forward by other members. Then interest will wane. At the moment if you were to take a purely cynical overview of what options get put to a vote, and who puts them forward it looks mainly like uninspiring cash grabs by the club out of the Smisa lucky bag.

its no use the Smisa committee simply saying every time a member puts an idea up that "it has to be fully costed and any impact on the club known and approved". The Smisa guys should be engaging with members and helping them flesh these ideas out with the club. Surely that is the main reason we decided to Buy The Buds? So that fans/members could play their part in improving all aspects of their club.

and if the Smisa committee dont think their 'reason for being' is to be that link between club and member, then what on earth is it?

I'd say there has to be an awareness from members (and non-members) that money to St Mirren is always going to be the popular vote for St Mirren fans. Money to the club always seems to be the option to win most comfortably. We can say about new ways to do this and XY&Z but realistically do any of us think there is a single option anyone could have put forward for the club and costed and rubber stamped and all the rest, that would of been voted yes over say  the sports scientist and analyst money? I think a common sense approach says no chance. 

I (and I imagine a lot others) would be perfectly happy for every penny of this fund to go to St Mirren and them to decide how to spend it, whether that be on balls, entertainment, community or air fresheners for the gym locker room. I genuinely would not bat an eyelid if it all went to St Mirren. I know some fans wouldn't be happy with that and might want to try other approaches and money going on different things. But IMO fand like yourself Lordy have to come to a realisation that regardless of what's costed, all evidence suggests fans of St Mirren football club would rather see money go to... St Mirren football club. 

SMISA members not fleshing ideas out... Is that not likely because it would be pointless up against an option that will be more popular with members every day of the week? Again I'm speculating but from a common sense approach, club benefit seems to always win. (and again IMO rightfully so)  

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I'd say there has to be an awareness from members (and non-members) that money to St Mirren is always going to be the popular vote for St Mirren fans. Money to the club always seems to be the option to win most comfortably. We can say about new ways to do this and XY&Z but realistically do any of us think there is a single option anyone could have put forward for the club and costed and rubber stamped and all the rest, that would of been voted yes over say  the sports scientist and analyst money? I think a common sense approach says no chance. 

I (and I imagine a lot others) would be perfectly happy for every penny of this fund to go to St Mirren and them to decide how to spend it, whether that be on balls, entertainment, community or air fresheners for the gym locker room. I genuinely would not bat an eyelid if it all went to St Mirren. I know some fans wouldn't be happy with that and might want to try other approaches and money going on different things. But IMO fand like yourself Lordy have to come to a realisation that regardless of what's costed, all evidence suggests fans of St Mirren football club would rather see money go to... St Mirren football club. 

SMISA members not fleshing ideas out... Is that not likely because it would be pointless up against an option that will be more popular with members every day of the week? Again I'm speculating but from a common sense approach, club benefit seems to always win. (and again IMO rightfully so)  

So you think its a sustainable approach to just let the club pay whatever bills they like with our money, and members (AKA Owners) should simply know their place..?

yeah they seem to favour that model of fan/member/owners participation down the Paisley Road, and look how well it has worked out for their new club.

22 hours ago, bazil85 said:

ideas have got to be costed and achievable. In the grand scheme the money we get every quarter is pocket change and as such should be treated that way. Sports scientist and analyst by all accounts seem to have had a profound impact on the team so I really don't see the issue there. Supporting the woman's team is a very nice gesture from fans at the club that will no doubt help the local community. The children entertainer idea will result in no financial impact for the club but may increase revenue, again what's the issue? 

Are some fans wanting us to use the roughly £8k to build a new stand or maybe add an East wing to Ralston :lol: 

Fans will say we can save the money for bigger ticket items. Not only is that an option by voting no, even saving the money for say a year isn't going to be a massive value compared to the running of a football club. 

Only person mentioning a new stand or East wing at Ralston is ( you ) then you go on to laugh at yourself ?     All of us have said the extra cash has been used for important causes and should continue to but does the cash have to be burnt up in one go every month ? Everyone will have ideas.  We have had problems and complaints with the PA why not help to upgrade the PA after all it is part of the fans match day experience. Having heard good PA systems at other clubs it does help to lift the atmosphere for fans in turn lift the atmosphere for the players as fans vocally get behind the team. How about painting the inside of stand public areas. I'm sure other fans have their own ideas. In other words let's  help improve the fans match day experience. Yes continue to help those who need help but let's also help improve things for fans after all we are going to own the club. 

19 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Only person mentioning a new stand or East wing at Ralston is ( you ) then you go on to laugh at yourself ?     All of us have said the extra cash has been used for important causes and should continue to but does the cash have to be burnt up in one go every month ? Everyone will have ideas.  We have had problems and complaints with the PA why not help to upgrade the PA after all it is part of the fans match day experience. Having heard good PA systems at other clubs it does help to lift the atmosphere for fans in turn lift the atmosphere for the players as fans vocally get behind the team. How about painting the inside of stand public areas. I'm sure other fans have their own ideas. In other words let's  help improve the fans match day experience. Yes continue to help those who need help but let's also help improve things for fans after all we are going to own the club. 

This.

Vambo57 had a good idea to instal big tv screens around the snack bars so buds could see the live early game before kick off, and be able to catch first half highlights if they stream Saints tv to them. If no live games then stick Buddie Vision on! 

A double whammy! Improved matchday experience for fans, club might sell a few more buddie vision/saints tv subscriptions as people can see it and can by for themselves or pressie for far flung buds.

for reasons best known to themselves the Smisa committee wont work with Vambo (or it seems most members with an idea) to conduct cost and feasibility analysis. This begs the question who conducted the cost & feasibility analysis for the womens team, or buying matchballs for the first team??? I suspect the answer is no one, as the club just gave smisa a figure and we ponied up.

if you ignore and treat your membership with contempt it will come back to take a helluva bite out of your ass! 

Whatever the current level of membership Smisa needs to re-chart its course. Theres a long, long way to go before smisa members take over the majority shareholding in the club, and buds that have followed the saints for more than a season or two know for every high we have savoured, we seemed to spend five or more years enduring lows.

this isnt Smisa committee bashing, this is a clear belief and understanding gained from years of similar experience, that is if you fail to fully and effectively engage, represent and involve your stakeholders (smisa members etc) then interest and commitment will fall away. Take a scenario most of us have witnessed, a fantastic promotion winning season, followed by automatic relegation and dire, dull ugly football that almost leads to oblivion for the club.

imagine the potential impact that may have on membership, and the financial position of the club! The current model and set up might not be able to deliver or sustain smisa's fan ownership goals.... what then?

if you want a seemingly small, but telling example of Smisa simply not being proactive in engaging with the members then the fact the committee have in place an agreed position of not participating/boycotting any comment on this forum should set off alarm bells. Yes ffs the one fans forum with a decent/regular audience is being shunned. Main reason for that is simply you..! Are too real for them to handle.

the lack of foresight in proactively engaging with the members, and working with them to build and improve Smisa is the main reason i stopped working with them. Still a member, and barring catastrophe, always will be. But in the words of Hugh Cornwell "something better change"