St Mirren V Liverpool

Guest ballochbud72

This game was the official switch on of the 'new' flood lights.

I played in the 'dummy run' of the switch on of the lights for a Paisley select v Ex Scotland XI the night before. This was organised by our church minister.

I could be wrong here but.......

were the floodlights not in use well before the Liverpool game?Was it not the case we had to wait until they had a free slot to play us?

I could be wrong here but.......

were the floodlights not in use well before the Liverpool game?Was it not the case we had to wait until they had a free slot to play us?

I think you're right HSS, we were playing loads of midweek games around that time with Anglo-Scottish Cup and League Cup ties being played in October, November and December.

Midweek games, nowadays, are rare occurrences but back then they seemed to be the norm!!

I think you're right HSS, we were playing loads of midweek games around that time with Anglo-Scottish Cup and League Cup ties being played in October, November and December.

Midweek games, nowadays, are rare occurrences but back then they seemed to be the norm!!

I don't understand this. We did have floodlights at the time, but I thought they were still the old ones. The 'new' floodlights didn't go in until 1978.

Edited because of a 'senior moment'!

Edited by saint in exile

I don't understand this. We did have floodlights at the time, but I thought they were still the old ones. The 'new' floodlights didn't go in until 1978.

Edited because of a 'senior moment'!

The "new" floodlights must have been in place before 1978 if we had the match to switch them on in 77!!!

What I meant was that altho Liverpool officially switched the lights on we were using them before then.

The "new" floodlights must have been in place before 1978 if we had the match to switch them on in 77!!!

What I meant was that altho Liverpool officially switched the lights on we were using them before then.

That's the point I was making. I thought he floodlights went up in 1978, so how could the match to 'open' them happen before that?

Just done a quick check. The match had bugger all to do with the floodlights. It was to mark our centenary!!!!! 1877 - how could we forget that FFS?

That's the point I was making. I thought he floodlights went up in 1978, so how could the match to 'open' them happen before that?

I've done a but of research and as unlikely as it sounds......I could be talking shite..:o

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Street_(stadium)

(Don't think the Wiki link is working....google it!!)

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/22876-love-st-floodlights/page-1

According to the "St Mirren Programme" website the Liverpool game was our Centenary match and not the lights switch on.

Check Dec 12 in the link......

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Prog_Season.php?season=1977

This is,I think,the night the lights went on.....

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1977&GameID=1659

Do you know something?

That rings a bell!!!

Edited by HSS

Just done a quick check. The match had bugger all to do with the floodlights. It was to mark our centenary!!!!! 1877 - how could we forget that FFS?

Snap.....and how did we forget that???!!!

I do remember that against Liverpool we wore yellow numbers and it was something to do with floodlights.......

Sits back and waits after opening another can of worms.