Jump to content

jimdickloyal

Speculation Thread

Recommended Posts

I'm not sure many, if any Western origin players see their contracts out in places like Iran, Egypt etc. 

Look at Lee Erwin, he was gone within 3 months. Sol Coulibally in Egypt as well.

I certainly don't read into it too much, the cultural differences are massive and most Western players see the money, go out there and then don't fancy it on reflection. Obviously Qatar is the exception there.

Edited by djchapsticks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Yeah... thats why he only managed three in the league for us. Running to the ball, or into positions wasnt his strong suit.

He scored 8 goals - all against Premier League opposition - in 16 games for us, including 2 in 2 games against Celtic and that goal in the League Cup Final.

Getting into goalscoring positions was indeed his strong suit. An extremely strong suit in fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

At the point he went out there, Cypriot teams were qualifying semi-regularly for CL and Europa league groups.

His entire career, he's averaged a goal every three games. Even the three league goals in 11 games you're quite down on translates to 10 or 11 a season, which would be a very good return.

He scored 8 in total that season - all against Premier League opposition- in 16 games.

A brilliant record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm not sure many, if any Western origin players see their contracts out in places like Iran, Egypt etc. 

Look at Lee Erwin, he was gone within 3 months. Sol Coulibally in Egypt as well.

I certainly don't read into it too much, the cultural differences are massive and most Western players see the money, go out there and then don't fancy it on reflection. Obviously Qatar is the exception there.

Imo its academic now that we've signed a similar player (subject to international clearance). Think we need some height upfront now. As well as a couple of left back options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

He scored 8 in total that season - all against Premier League opposition- in 16 games.

A brilliant record.

Indeed it was. The argument being made was that 3 in 11 in the league was somehow a poor return though, which it wasn't.

I'd love a forward to chip in with 10 or 11 league goals this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Load of rubbish. His club Rio Ave wanted 750k. That’s why we didn’t try to get him back.

The guy was an absolute stand out with us. Ran riot in a lot of games. One of the best footballers I’ve seen at the club. He went on to star for the Cypriot team in the Europa league the season after.

The reason he left hearts was Leveins tactics of 1 man up didn’t suit him. Still scored quite a few goals for them, 13 in fact! That’s how found out he was 😄How we could do with that this season. Most hearts fans loved the guy.

id go as far as to say we wouldn’t have won the cup without Isma. Scored in the semi, scored in the final and set up newton as well. If you didn’t like him as a player then you’ll definitely not like any of this seasons lot!!!

Loved Isma but he was very poor in a lot of league games for us did we not go on a ten game loosing streak after making the final?  Not that we could have afforded him anyway 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

I think theres a big touch of the rose tinted's there!

without doubt scoring on his debut against Celtic in the semi final, and a tap in courtesy of Teale in the final cement edin his pkace in fans folk lore. After the cup games he really couldnt be arsed, and his half season with us fizzled out. As regards "Starring" for a cypriot side? My Granny could have done that whilst knitting!

he 'll be remembered for two crucial goals, but not his abject laziness on cold nights in Dingwall etc...

8 goals in 3 months is an excellent return given our form bar the cup games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GeordieBuddie said:

Just reading Hearts have made Olly Lee for sale or loan, we should snap him up.  The type of midfielder we need.

Googled him. Son of Newcastle legend Rob Lee. God I feel old. I am still thinking Rob Lee could do a job for us.. ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:
11 hours ago, Big Yards said:

Load of rubbish. His club Rio Ave wanted 750k. That’s why we didn’t try to get him back.

The guy was an absolute stand out with us. Ran riot in a lot of games. One of the best footballers I’ve seen at the club. He went on to star for the Cypriot team in the Europa league the season after.

The reason he left hearts was Leveins tactics of 1 man up didn’t suit him. Still scored quite a few goals for them, 13 in fact! That’s how found out he was 😄How we could do with that this season. Most hearts fans loved the guy.

id go as far as to say we wouldn’t have won the cup without Isma. Scored in the semi, scored in the final and set up newton as well. If you didn’t like him as a player then you’ll definitely not like any of this seasons lot!!!

I think theres a big touch of the rose tinted's there!

without doubt scoring on his debut against Celtic in the semi final, and a tap in courtesy of Teale in the final cement edin his pkace in fans folk lore. After the cup games he really couldnt be arsed, and his half season with us fizzled out. As regards "Starring" for a cypriot side? My Granny could have done that whilst knitting!

he 'll be remembered for two crucial goals, but not his abject laziness on cold nights in Dingwall etc...

Tend to agree with LPM, i sense a lot of rose tinted specs here, he had his moments but was never consistent enough for me , would rather have grafters like basher and yards myself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Tend to agree with LPM, i sense a lot of rose tinted specs here, he had his moments but was never consistent enough for me , would rather have grafters like basher and yards myself

Oh yeah cos we’ve had such great strikers since Isma haven’t we! It amazes me that we wait years for top class players and when one comes along half our support can’t see it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Big Yards said:
9 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Tend to agree with LPM, i sense a lot of rose tinted specs here, he had his moments but was never consistent enough for me , would rather have grafters like basher and yards myself

Oh yeah cos we’ve had such great strikers since Isma haven’t we! It amazes me that we wait years for top class players and when one comes along half our support can’t see it!

No; we haven't had such great strikers but read the posts re Isma, some rate him some don't but all give him credit for the important goals he scored for us, however read further into the posts and you will see other who suggest we couldn't afford him anyway. So .......well! .......... work it out for yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GeordieBuddie said:

Just reading Hearts have made Olly Lee for sale or loan, we should snap him up.  The type of midfielder we need.

He is leaving Hearts because his family haven’t settled in Scotland. They want to be back in England. 

No chance I'm afraid 

 

He joined last summer from Luton but has informed Levein he wishes to return to England after his family have found it hard to settle in Scotland.

Edited by Prague Buddie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

In an article a couple of years ago, Austin MacPhee said he had players coming up to him asking what Isma was doing here when they saw how good he was on his first day at Ralston.

All in one day. :unsure:.    There must have been a lot of players who impress on their first day that came to no avail. Then ask "what are you doing here"   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...