Ralston Resident's Action Group Against St. Mirren

Ralston Bowling Club have been excellent in this. First the news that they knocked by the "action group" who wanted to use their facility to host the meeting and now the friendly bowling match. :lol::lol::lol:

I don't think we should bother with a petition...let's go back to the Love Street / GHR planning tactic of sending abusive emails to the pertinent cuntcillors - especially Jim Sharkey. :)

Anti-St Mirren cuntcillor email alias You can email him straight from the link.

I see all our St Mirren supporting councillors are staying tight lipped on this one? :P

FOR INFO

Petition launched Saints training ground protesters

Sep 24 2009 by Jeff Holmes, Paisley Daily Express

FED-UP residents in Ralston are organising a petition in a bid to tackle problems caused by St Mirren Football Club’s new training base.

The Ralston Residents’ Action Group was formed last week by campaigners who claim the £1million football complex is making their lives a misery.

A number of people living near the training base, in Allanton Avenue, are unhappy with the strength of floodlights, excessive noise, a build-up of traffic and loss of privacy.

They also fear the value of their properties in upmarket Ralston could be adversely affected.

Protesters claim their concerns are being ignored by Saints bosses and Renfrewshire Council chiefs and that planning permission for work carried out at the training complex is not in place.

A petition being launched by campaigners calls for an immediate meeting to be staged in Ralston with councillors and senior officials from Renfrewshire Council who have been directly involved in the creation of the training base.

They are also hoping that senior representatives from St Mirren will go along to answer questions from concerned residents.

Members of the Ralston Residents’ Action Group will stage another public meeting tonight and have urged anyone who has concerns about the training base to go along.

Paisley East and Ralston councillor Jim Sharkey, who lives just a goal-kick away from the training base, said: “The campaign is certainly gathering momentum.

FOR INFO

FED-UP residents in Ralston are organising a petition in a bid to tackle problems caused by St Mirren Football Club’s new training base.

The Ralston Residents’ Action Group was formed last week by campaigners who claim the £1million football complex is making their lives a misery.

A number of people living near the training base, in Allanton Avenue, are unhappy with the strength of floodlights, excessive noise, a build-up of traffic and loss of privacy.

They also fear the value of their properties in upmarket Ralston could be adversely affected.

Protesters claim their concerns are being ignored by Saints bosses and Renfrewshire Council chiefs and that planning permission for work carried out at the training complex is not in place.

A petition being launched by campaigners calls for an immediate meeting to be staged in Ralston with councillors and senior officials from Renfrewshire Council who have been directly involved in the creation of the training base.

They are also hoping that senior representatives from St Mirren will go along to answer questions from concerned residents.

Members of the Ralston Residents’ Action Group will stage another public meeting tonight and have urged anyone who has concerns about the training base to go along.

Paisley East and Ralston councillor Jim Sharkey, who lives just a goal-kick away from the training base, said: “The campaign is certainly gathering momentum.

And your point is.................?

FOR INFO

etc etc

Thank you, Glen but STU posted the FULL link to the PDE report 8 hours ago, on here on the previous webpage to this one.

FOR INFO

Do you live in Ralston , Glen ?

I think one solution may be to have the flight path into Abbotsinch redirected so that it passes over , Ralston . That way , the specticale of the aircraft passing overhead will take your attention away from the Saint Mirren footballing activities going on at Allanton. .

B)

Do you live in Ralston , Glen ?

I think one solution may be to have the flight path into Abbotsinch redirected so that it passes over , Ralston . That way , the specticale of the aircraft passing overhead will take your attention away from the Saint Mirren footballing activities going on at Allanton. .

B)

Dunno if that's a good idea. The pilot may mistake the floodlights for landing lights and be literally blinded by them.

Brilliant Last of the Summer Wine takes a seasonal break from the Beeb and out pops Paisleys Elite pulling together a Petition against something. This time its SMFC

The petition will be

Mr Smith

Mrs Smith

Sprog 1

Sprog 2

Sprog 0.4

Goldfish Smith

Dog smith

Mouse Smith

Their concerns are house values……woosh

House prices are in free fall due to world wide credit crunch.

I am sure that it was discussed at the G20 this week. I heard French finance minister Christine Lagarde on the news

“World leaders I shall saz thiz only once. Reports of falling house prices alls over ze world are being exaggerated. No neez to worry, I understand that wez have been simply been looking at house prices in Ralston. Ze reason for thiz fall is due to a team za call ze Buddies. World leader I am sure yoz will join me in signing theirz petition to stop thiz rot. But I must warn you do not go near the ground you will be hit by stray balls or blind by lights. The buddies have put up some resistance”

My son plays with the youth development therefore I am down at the Ralston training Centre 3 times most weeks. Personally haven;t noticed anything so bad but maybe living with it is different.

I think they have done a lot of work in recent weeks to smarten the area up - new fencing and paintwork etc.

There is a number of locals who walk their dogs round the car park - who obviously previously used the old pitches as a "dumping" ground for their prize pedigrees and are now fairly aggrieved that they ain't got this facility anymore. A couple of the older dog walkers (and mainly old grannies) have spoken to parents saying they are delighted to see the ground being put to good use and regularly come down to watch the younger kids training and have been keen to hear how they have got on.

There have already been a few meetings in the Community Centre on nights we have been there and some St Mirren personnel went over to sit in to hear any issues. After these meeting there has been letters issued to parents to try and sort out some smaller issues. They have concerns over kids playing in the car park apparently. Personally I have only ever seen BMX dudes on bikes in the car park and certainly none of the boys are booting balls about in there. From the time I have been there St Mirren seem to not only coach the kids football but seem to be active in teaching them discipline and other great habits which they should be congratualted on.

Regarding the noise - when games and training is on the boys shout names etc to each other but there certainly ain't crowds of supporters belting out songs or obsceneties. Parental input at these things has always been a no go as the coaches want the kids to concentrate on the games and nowt else anyway.

The only thing I would say is regarding the lights. We have noticed that the lights reflect off the windows of houses that sit out on the Main Road (the ones that sit slightly higher up) It is rather annoying as it shines back in our eyes at the side of the pitch so must not be very pleasant for them. But I'm sure it could easily be resolved by readjusting the angles or putting some sort of deflector round them to point them at the pitch and not up and out.

Overall it seems a great facilty and I am sure that St Mirren will do everything they can to calm down the crones that are complaining.

On another note re the Bowling Club - they have very kindly offered the use of their facilities to parents to come in for a cuppa or a heat etc as a number are far travelled and stay for the duration of training. Seems they are more than happy to work together with St Mirren - so all good there

Anyway here's to some success for all the boys that are getting the use of a great facility. Maybe the locals should be pleased that they are not hanging around street corners or mugging their grannies :)

On another note re the Bowling Club - they have very kindly offered the use of their facilities to parents to come in for a cuppa or a heat etc as a number are far travelled and stay for the duration of training. Seems they are more than happy to work together with St Mirren - so all good there

They'll be looking to boost their bar takings. :lol:

They'll be looking to boost their bar takings. laugh.gif

I've been told by a Past president of the Bowling Club that their not happy with it either, they said they cant see the bools when the floodlights are on because of the glare, knowing that lot doon there they'll be looking for compensation from the club for inconveniance.

I've been told by a Past president of the Bowling Club that their not happy with it either, they said they cant see the bools when the floodlights are on because of the glare, knowing that lot doon there they'll be looking for compensation from the club for inconveniance.

They play bools in the dark? :blink:

Ralston Bowling Club have been excellent in this. First the news that they knocked by the "action group" who wanted to use their facility to host the meeting and now the friendly bowling match. :lol::lol::lol:

I don't think we should bother with a petition...let's go back to the Love Street / GHR planning tactic of sending abusive emails to the pertinent cuntcillors - especially Jim Sharkey. :)

Anti-St Mirren cuntcillor email alias You can email him straight from the link.

I see all our St Mirren supporting councillors are staying tight lipped on this one? :P

I would think long and hard before annoying Cllr. Sharkey. He might hit back .......

The Independent Thursday, 25 September 1997

The NEC heard that in addition to using the funds for trips, there were threats of violence made against Labour councillors by their colleagues; and breaches of the rules for the declaration of interests. The others were Bob Gould, the Labour group leader; Gordon Macdiarmid, Alex Mosson, and Jim Mutter, the parks and recreation convener. Four others who were suspended from all roles in the party were: Elaine Smith, Deirdre Gaughan, Heather Ritchie and Jim Sharkey.

In a separate move the Labour NEC also endorsed the suspension of the Labour MP, Tommy Graham, following the allegations of a smear campaign in a suicide note by Gordon McMaster, the MP for Paisley South.

Youve got no reason to moan, Even the asylum seekers dont want to live in that hellhole :o

I used to know a Jim Sharkey who was in the Labour Party in the 80's. He was in the Militant tendency then and worked on the railways (Militant was a Very left wing political group for you younger viewers Tommy Sheridan came from there)

Is it the same one?

Do all of his Daily Mail NIIMBY constituents know it if it is him?

They'd have heart attacks

And if it is he originally came from Glasgow and supported one of the uglier teams - so no suprise he has no time for our wee team bettering itself

Edited by Danny

Unlike this forum where it appears most posters are scummy whining lefties who are also moaning face bastards - indeed they are worse! (no offence) :rolleyes:

Unfortunately there are some labour voters who use this site.

I liked the world better when the type of person who voted labour could not afford a computer but we are stuck with them

Now do not get me started on the Scottish lib dems

Now back on topic,

Anyone know how the residents meeting went?

My son plays with the youth development therefore I am down at the Ralston training Centre 3 times most weeks. Personally haven;t noticed anything so bad but maybe living with it is different.

I think they have done a lot of work in recent weeks to smarten the area up - new fencing and paintwork etc.

There is a number of locals who walk their dogs round the car park - who obviously previously used the old pitches as a "dumping" ground for their prize pedigrees and are now fairly aggrieved that they ain't got this facility anymore. A couple of the older dog walkers (and mainly old grannies) have spoken to parents saying they are delighted to see the ground being put to good use and regularly come down to watch the younger kids training and have been keen to hear how they have got on.

There have already been a few meetings in the Community Centre on nights we have been there and some St Mirren personnel went over to sit in to hear any issues. After these meeting there has been letters issued to parents to try and sort out some smaller issues. They have concerns over kids playing in the car park apparently. Personally I have only ever seen BMX dudes on bikes in the car park and certainly none of the boys are booting balls about in there. From the time I have been there St Mirren seem to not only coach the kids football but seem to be active in teaching them discipline and other great habits which they should be congratualted on.

Regarding the noise - when games and training is on the boys shout names etc to each other but there certainly ain't crowds of supporters belting out songs or obsceneties. Parental input at these things has always been a no go as the coaches want the kids to concentrate on the games and nowt else anyway.

The only thing I would say is regarding the lights. We have noticed that the lights reflect off the windows of houses that sit out on the Main Road (the ones that sit slightly higher up) It is rather annoying as it shines back in our eyes at the side of the pitch so must not be very pleasant for them. But I'm sure it could easily be resolved by readjusting the angles or putting some sort of deflector round them to point them at the pitch and not up and out.

Overall it seems a great facilty and I am sure that St Mirren will do everything they can to calm down the crones that are complaining.

Anyway here's to some success for all the boys that are getting the use of a great facility. Maybe the locals should be pleased that they are not hanging around street corners or mugging their grannies :)

Great Post, shame its hidden amongst his rubbish, it should be the start of a thread in itself complementing the currnet youth set up , I recently heard from a pal whose son plays for Falkirk under 13s, that Saints and the Old Firm have the best teams at that age group, so it looks like the new training facilities are a success.

The lights are the major problem and I know some folk on here have been saying typical NIMBYs etc but in all honesty I'd be pissed off by the lights too if I lived near there. I went down last week, there was a Saints game on and the lights were awful like you say with glare. You can see the glare as you drive by on the main road there is just masses of glare and they do light up and reflect windows and I can't imagine it is pleasant.

Like you say that should be fixed easily, to ensure the lights are only giving light to the pitch and not half the area.

Can't say I find any other thing such as noise or traffic a problem, and indeed up until a couple of years ago people used those every day and esp at weekends.

• 1 month later...

The lights are the major problem and I know some folk on here have been saying typical NIMBYs etc but in all honesty I'd be pissed off by the lights too if I lived near there. I went down last week, there was a Saints game on and the lights were awful like you say with glare. You can see the glare as you drive by on the main road there is just masses of glare and they do light up and reflect windows and I can't imagine it is pleasant.

Like you say that should be fixed easily, to ensure the lights are only giving light to the pitch and not half the area.

Can't say I find any other thing such as noise or traffic a problem, and indeed up until a couple of years ago people used those every day and esp at weekends.

Just to let you know that Cllr. Sharkey and some residents have organised another public meeting tonight. Burning torches, pitchforks, and such like will be provided. They will not be happy until the training ground is closed in the evenings so that the lights don't pollute their environment, and the youngsters stop making any noise.

From today's PDE

Anger as council snubs footie site showdown

Nov 4 2009 by Cameron Hay, Paisley Daily Express

RESIDENTS in the upmarket Ralston area of Paisley have shown council chiefs a red card after they snubbed an invite to a public meeting to tackle problems caused by St Mirren’s new training base.

More than 160 Ralston homeowners have signed a petition to highlight their concerns about the training ground, in Allanton Avenue, which they claim is making their lives a misery.

Among the problems they have identified are the strength of floodlights, excessive noise, a build-up of traffic and loss of privacy.

They also fear the value of their properties could be adversely affected.

A public meeting will take place in Ralston Community Centre tonight at 7pm and protesters have been left fuming after bosses at Renfrewshire Council turned down an invitation to attend the event.

In a letter sent to the Ralston Residents’ Action Group, the council’s director of communications, Paul Gannon, insisted the fact there is an ongoing planning application submitted by St Mirren concerning the training base means it would be inappropriate for him to go along to the meeting.

Mr Gannon added: “The council will require to have regard to the statutory and other provisions which apply to the consideration of that planning application and, in view of this, attendance at the public meeting would not be appropriate.”

But the decision has been slammed by Councillor Jim Sharkey, who represents residents in the Ralston area.

Mr Sharkey said: “I am disgusted the council officials have refused to attend the public meeting.

“Their reason for not doing it because of a planning application by St Mirren is retrospective.

“I’ve given my commitment to the residents that I will turn up at the meeting and I want to see representatives from St Mirren there too.

“What had been called for is a proper public meeting on the issues. This was promised to the residents by the council in October 2007 and has never been done.

“It is time to listen to people instead of telling them what to accept.”

Brian Caldwell, St Mirren’s general manager, confirmed he has received an invite to tonight’s meeting.

He added: “Three directors and myself met with representatives of RRAG, councillors and council officials on Friday to discuss outstanding issues in relation to our new training facilities.

“It gave everyone the opportunity to air their views.

“We were able to update the residents on where we are in relation to these outstanding issues, in particular the floodlighting, and try to move forward and be good neighbours.”