Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

It might well have been. I just know the vehicles were up the Lane a bit.

You are correct Bluto That was the Garage for and Registered office of The PCMS ( Paisley Co operatived manufacturing soceity ) at 4 Lady Lane ! My auld man used to be a driver with them, and used to tell stories of Bodies in open Coffin's when he used to open up the Pen accross the road !

Judging by appearances, does the building now belong to the university for student accommodation.

Yep it first got renovated by Paisley Tech in the late 80's for student accomodation, I remember walking by quiet often when I worked in the Wellmeadow co-op and thinking it funny that every window had a matching set of the same stripey curtains. I think it's currently undergoing (or has undergone) a 2nd major overhaul.

Very kind of you Faraway. It never started as anything other than to showcase the considerable and amazing architecture that Paisley has but it now seems to have snowballed as it is bringing back plenty of memories and is now a kind of daily (or nearly daily) history lesson and I am learning as much as anyone. Keep the stories, history and memories coming guys! We can soon set up Guided Tours for opposition supporters before home games smile.png

FS: I had a flat in this building in 1978 for a few months after the Easter break (on some courses the students went on placement at Easter thereby freeing some accomodation) and before the students were back in again in Sept. That was when I was well impressed with the building but as I indicated that was before it was refurbished.

Edited by Sonny

PICTURE 15 The Old Paisley Post Office ...

'The former post office building is on the west side of the square. Built of red sandstone, it was designed by W W Robertson, and opened in 1893. In 1912 an extension in the Glasgow Baronial style by W T Oldrieve doubled its size.' B Listed. Great looking building.

Today's may be less obvious.....

PICTURE 16

Tenaments at Lady Lane. Had a friend that used to live there as a student

I thought they were based in the huge building to the left at the end of these tenements and before the Regal, where their vehicles were stored/serviced? Sanny Foulds worked there with them. (Mighty Eighth BB captain.)

Fwiw... The uncle mentioned above went on to become an undertaker - with Goudie's.

across the road was where i used to go in the early morning to meet up with the milk van and help load it up before heading for our round in glenburn, the milk all came on a large lorry from the co-op creamery in glasgow during the night, we usually got picked up in glenburn after the van was loaded but during school holidays we walked down at about 5 in the morning and loaded it ourselves (always managing a few extra crates (in case of breakages) the van driver sold the extra crates to the co-op manager at the skye crescent shop and we all got free milk to take home, the manager used to warn me that it better not mean my maw would lower her milk order of 6 pints a day

across the road was where i used to go in the early morning to meet up with the milk van and help load it up before heading for our round in glenburn, the milk all came on a large lorry from the co-op creamery in glasgow during the night, we usually got picked up in glenburn after the van was loaded but during school holidays we walked down at about 5 in the morning and loaded it ourselves (always managing a few extra crates (in case of breakages) the van driver sold the extra crates to the co-op manager at the skye crescent shop and we all got free milk to take home, the manager used to warn me that it better not mean my maw would lower her milk order of 6 pints a day

The Creamery was in Hawkhead Road for the Milk ?

The Creamery was in Hawkhead Road for the Milk ?

yes indeed, it was only a transit depot for the milk after it moved from lady lane because the lorries delivering milk got bigger and couldn't get into the depot at lady lane, the main part of the hawkhead road building was the co-ops' own ginger factory - hendrys, they made the ginger there but as i recall the creamery was in shieldhall Edited by buddiecat

Which Lady was Lady Lane named after?

It was called Lady Lane after the Lady Priest's House which was in that thoroughfare connecting Wellmeadow and Canal St. The Lady Priest's House was first mentioned in 1488!

The building in PICTURE 16 was built by the Paisley Provident Co-operative Society in 1891. B Listed.

Edited by Sonny

....and of course you can't mention Lady Lane without a mention of the World Famous Paisley Snail. There was a piece in yesterday's PDX complaining about the modernisation of the 'snail bench' which although the council have paid for, looks nothing like the original, and about how visiting lawyers from America would much rather have sat on the original instead.

....and of course you can't mention Lady Lane without a mention of the World Famous Paisley Snail. There was a piece in yesterday's PDX complaining about the modernisation of the 'snail bench' which although the council have paid for, looks nothing like the original, and about how visiting lawyers from America would much rather have sat on the original instead.

That story is used in the safety reps course for offshore, I made the mistake in saying I came from Paisley and they made me stand up and tell the story .

It was called Lady Lane after the Lady Priest's House which was in that thoroughfare connecting Wellmeadow and Canal St. The Lady Priest's House was first mentioned in 1488!

Correct.

That story is used in the safety reps course for offshore, I made the mistake in saying I came from Paisley and they made me stand up and tell the story .

Why.Do you have snails on the menu.whistling.gif

Edited by pod

Important because it was the legal decision that set up the Sales of Goods Act. As one wegiescumbag law lecturer commented - the only good thing ever to come out of Paisley. thumbdown.gif