Petrol

Eddy

Strangely enough the panic buyers might be doing the right thing. A boffin was on the radio saying that the panic buying itself is going to cause a shortage. There are less petrol station, which means less fuel in the ground. The panic actually creates a seven-fold increase in demand on the resources underground at petrol stations. To sum up politicians are fannies.

Can you not just syphon some fuel across the Renfrew Road from the ESSO garage?

There is already an epidemic of fuel theft such is its value now. They drill a hole in the tank so sadly the cost of the damage to the car is greater than the value of the petrol. Enough to make an economist weep - not wee eck - a proper economist.

No shull ? One Bus compamy control's Renfrewshire & Inverclyde ? What a F@ck up That Has Been since Monday ! Competition No More - Regulate The Buse's Again, Give the Public a service they Deserve ? Are Tarvel passe's Valid in your Cab ? lol.gif

Luncheon vouchers only.

They normally charge about the same, god knows what it will be now.

Surely you'd just turn the corner and go to Asda or go to Sainsburys at Braehead. Asda were 137.7 yesterday morning. Sainsburys were 137.9 at around 2,30pm this afternoon. My tank is nearly empty just now so i was planning to visit one of those establishments when my shift finishes.

Surely you'd just turn the corner and go to Asda or go to Sainsburys at Braehead. Asda were 137.7 yesterday morning. Sainsburys were 137.9 at around 2,30pm this afternoon. My tank is nearly empty just now so i was planning to visit one of those establishments when my shift finishes.

I'm trying not to hope that every garage within driving distance of you has a 2 hour queue at it but I can't shift the image or the smile on my face when I picture it. You've turned me into a bad person. I used to be quite nice. OK maybe not nice but certainly bearable. Well maybe not bearable.......

How the devil are you, Kendo? You've been keeping low of late have you not? Hope you've not been getting all "all tanked up".rolleyes.gif

Been really busy, I see smokie is still referring to you as he.

I also note you are not best pleased with him.

Back on topic no fuel issues for me I am always fully fuelled as Lord Shull will testify to.

Silverburn Tesco ran out yesterday afternoon, got a new delivery last night when I was in the supermarket. The amount of people coming in for fuel only and just turning around as it was closed was unbelievable, must have been 10 people as I was leaving.

It was open again this morning and swamped. At 8am usually has 2 or 3 cars max- the queue for every pump was again 2 or 3 deep.

This story is true, loosely based on petrol and has a St.Mirren connection. Might interest some of you.

About ten years ago I was in my local one Saturday afternoon. I was in company with a few of my mates. One of them, Olly, had been a part time member of the RUC for nearly thirty years at at one point I heard him kind of catch his breath. I looked up and I saw he was looking at a big tall fair haired guy across the bar from us. During the troubles, it was an occupational hazard for a policeman to be recognised in the wrong place, (Especially without his gun). The fair haired guy kind of smiled and came round towards us. I have to admit, I was nervous. In these situations you just never know what can happen. The big fella said to Olly,'Do I know you?' and Olly said,yes, I worked with your dad. The atmosphere changed, it was smiles all round and we got back to enjoying ourselves. I caught that the big man's name was Jim and he and Olly started talking about the Jim's dad and people they both knew. I was kind of in the conversation but I had an eye on final score trying to see the Saints result. Eventually the guy Jim said to me,'So you're a Scotchman then?' Sharp as a tack these Ulstermen. I think it's my accent. I gave up years ago trying to correct the Scotchman thing. Before I could say a word, Olly chipped in 'Not only is he a Scotsman, he supports St.Mirren and he knew Davy Lapsley!' Now, I've never claimed to have known Davy Lapsley. I probably got his autograph about a dozen times because that what we did in those days. Olly I knew had worked with Shell all his life and so it turned out had Jim's dad. Probably quite a few of you will recall that so too did Davy Lapsley. Virtually all Northern Ireland's petrol used to come from Scotland and still does. Olly and Jim's dad knew Davy well and Jim as a boy had often accompanied his dad to Grangemouth and had come to regard Davy as an uncle. We had a right old chin-wag about St.Mirren. And then a couple of Jim's mates appeared from the pool-room and he had to go. Jim had to pay their bill and you've heard of a guy producing a wad of notes that would choke a horse. Well, think hippo and you might get the picture.Jim bought nearly everybody in the bar a drink before they left.

When they had gone ,Olly asked me if I had recognised Jim. When I said no , he told me,'He is Doris Day!' You could have knocked me over with a feather. Some of you will probably know who I mean but if not google Jim 'Doris Day'Gray, UDA commander. Easy to find. Just months later, he was shot in the face apparently on the orders of Johnny 'Mad Dog' Adair. He as you may know until recently lived in Troon. Jim survived that shooting but needed a lot of plastic surgery to his face. Three years later he was killed in a hail of bullets in his father's garden. Killed by his own side.

He was no loss to humanity. He undoubtedly murdered several people personally and ordered the deaths of many more. The google entries only covers part of the story. His name still crops up over here now and again. Everyone says there isn't a good word to say about him and of course that's true. But he did kind of follow St.Mirren.

Silverburn Tesco ran out yesterday afternoon, got a new delivery last night when I was in the supermarket. The amount of people coming in for fuel only and just turning around as it was closed was unbelievable, must have been 10 people as I was leaving.

It was open again this morning and swamped. At 8am usually has 2 or 3 cars max- the queue for every pump was again 2 or 3 deep.

In the mean time, plenty of overtime for the tanker drivers.whistling.gif

I'm trying not to hope that every garage within driving distance of you has a 2 hour queue at it but I can't shift the image or the smile on my face when I picture it. You've turned me into a bad person. I used to be quite nice. OK maybe not nice but certainly bearable. Well maybe not bearable.......

Sorry to disappoint but at 6.07am there was only one car in the forecourt. No wait time at all, infact it was totally civilised. I guess thats the kind of thing that happens to us good guys :rolleyes:

Surprisingly, the Gulf Garage at Linthouse has kept their prices at..

142.9p unleaded and

146.9p diesel.

Unsurprisingly, there are no queues.

Their Car Wash is busier.

Does anyone ever use that garage for fuel? It's always more expensive and with other garages so close by...

More and more I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth having a car at all.

Apart from the cost of fuel, insurance, tax, MOT's, parts, services and repairs, so many people get disproportionally wound up behind the wheel of a car it makes driving in town and motorways a horrible experience.

I live just outside quite a busy junction in Dennistoun and every other time the lights change during busy times, some idiot thinks he has time to go through the red light. Why can't they wait two minutes? What can be so important that they have to endanger the lives of themselves and whoever is just about to go through their green light?

ETA: will bus companies be affected if the drivers go on strike?

Yes, same with the Raithe Interchange where you get a green light after coming off the M74 only to see that cars and lorries are clearly not understanding what the red signal means. Personally, I would put cameras in traffic lights and cut down the speed cameras. There is no doubt that bad driving, particularly at junctions where there are operational lights, causes more accidents and disruption than someone speeding at 40 in a 30 mph zone. I am not condoning speeding in built up areas but for me most of the accidents I have witnessed at main junctions are caused by those who either do not heed the traffic signals or are incompetent and simply are not fit to be out in the road with the risks they take.