So Farewell Then Banksie

HSS

Didn’t expect it to happen so quickly. Really very saddened by this. He was certainly an all-time favourite of mine. The way he portrays Paisley in Espedair Street is spot on, especially the bits about Feegie.

So long Iain; thanks for your efforts.

I can only echo what others have said. Very sad news.

The Wasp Factory had a huge impact on me back in the day, and I think I'll have to revisit it with a wee dram by my side.

My mum went to a reading a few years back and got me a signed copy of his (then) newly published work, knowing I was a big fan. Definitely one to cherish.

There's an interview with Kirsty Wark (Raw Spirit) scheduled for Wednesday on BBC2 at 2100, wonder if it wil go ahead now? In the preview, he's quoted as saying that he was 10,000 words short of completing his 85,000 word latest (as yet unpublished) novel when he got the news......it's about a man diagnosed with cancer.

His sci-fi stuff was great, too.

There's an interview with Kirsty Wark (Raw Spirit) scheduled for Wednesday on BBC2 at 2100, wonder if it wil go ahead now? In the preview, he's quoted as saying that he was 10,000 words short of completing his 85,000 word latest (as yet unpublished) novel when he got the news......it's about a man diagnosed with cancer.

Apparently the book is ready to be published, and he had seen the final copy before passing away. Sadly, he misses the publication itself.

Raw Spirit is the title of a book he wrote about touring the coutry's distilleries. I haven't read it, but fully intend to do so.

I would be surprised if the Kirsty Wark interview isn't aired as scheduled.

I think there was a TV tie in to that, too, Drew - don't drink whisky so I wouldn't have watched it, maybe some of the connoisseurs from the whisky thread could enlighten us?

Sounds good - I'd like to catch that if they show it again. Would be a fitting tribute, I'd have thought

Terrible news. Apart from being a great author he always came across as a really nice guy. Loved Espedair Street to bits. Espedair is a fantastic name/word and it's ours.

I once got told that the reason Iain Banks used that street name is because "Espedair" is an anagram of despair but with an extra E.

I can only echo what others have said. Very sad news.

The Wasp Factory had a huge impact on me back in the day, and I think I'll have to revisit it with a wee dram by my side.

My mum went to a reading a few years back and got me a signed copy of his (then) newly published work, knowing I was a big fan. Definitely one to cherish.

I already knew what the ending of The Wasp Factory was like thanks to a girl I used to work beside in Finlay's pub on the corner of Orchard St & Causeyside. mad.gif

Some of it was absolutely fúcking superb. Consider Phlebas for one, The Use of Weapons for another.

An inspiration to anyone thinking of choosing the pen as the tool of you're trade!

Hope he's no inspired you to write a book.

It's bad enough with the pish you post on here.

Hee hee !

Cannae post smilies with my phone.

Guest somner9

Hope he's no inspired you to write a book.

It's bad enough with the pish you post on here.

Hee hee !

Cannae post smilies with my phone.

I'd be careful with thoone smilies ya auld baw bag! They might charge ye tae post them

Guest somner9

Interview now with Iain Banks on Radio Scotland.

From 2010 with Edie Stark.

Glad you added the year there auld yin! Wasn't looking forward to stream of unanswered questionsbangin.gif

I don't know Chris Brookmyre from Adam although I do enjoy his books. I've read his tribute to Iain Banks on the BBC News Arts and Entertainment section. I thought that apart from being very well written, it came across as heartfelt and strangely uplifting. A nice tribute to a nice guy. Good to know that Chris is a St.Mirren fan.

I missed the interview, is it going to be repeated ?