Organ Donation

faraway saint

I see Wales are going to introduce the "opt out" scheme for organ donation.

I think it's a good idea, I'd think many people would probably do it but can't be arsed so this should see a massive increase in organ donations and save lots of misery for may families.

I'm not keen on Wales but, good on them. thumbup2.gif

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/wales-set-approve-organ-opt-scheme-012352606.html#51CPisl

I see Wales are going to introduce the "opt out" scheme for organ donation.

I think it's a good idea, I'd think many people would probably do it but can't be arsed so this should see a massive increase in organ donations and save lots of misery for may families.

I'm not keen on Wales but, good on them. thumbup2.gif

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/wales-set-approve-organ-opt-scheme-012352606.html#51CPisl

I'm in the same boat.

Can never be arsed trying to work out how to get a card but would be happy for my organs to be used - unless it's to save Dickson or pozbaird.

I suspect most people feel this way.

Hope it happens up here but I strongly suspect the religious crazies will have a field day.

I'm in the same boat.

Can never be arsed trying to work out how to get a card but would be happy for my organs to be used - unless it's to save Dickson or pozbaird.

I suspect most people feel this way.

Hope it happens up here but I strongly suspect the religious crazies will have a field day.

Ach go on, gie's an organ. Get it sorted Oaksoft!

Guest TPAFKATS

If the government make it opt out I will - fed up with them interfering in matters that are none of their business.spudnikconfounded.gif

I'm off to live in a bunker in oregon.

I recently went on a beano weekend with some mates up in Skye. Before leaving, I transferred my various essential bank cards (ie: no RSPB loyalty card and IKEA Family card etc.) into another wee wallet, but ensured I had my donor card with me. My wife pointed this out, and thought it was a little pessimistic when I was going away for a wee holiday, but I duly reassured that all would be well, and if it wasn't, she could request my liver as a keepsake as they wouldn't be requiring it.

Ach go on, gie's an organ. Get it sorted Oaksoft!

Oh go on then. You asked nicely.

Just not Dickson then. If he got my liver and both lungs for example I wouldn't be able to live with myse..........er....hang on.

Edited by oaksoft

I registered as a donor years and years ago. They used to do it with your driving licence amongst other things. I'm also registered as a potential bone marrow donor and I've given blood regularly for 15 years. I do so in the hope that anyone getting any part of me will feel compelled to post common sense in my usual manner on all the forums I've been banned from :rolleyes:

Guest TPAFKATS

In all seriousness this is a positive move and hopefully Scotland if not the rest of the UK will follow suit.

Not sure how positive it is?

Positive as in taking organs from the dead without their (prior) consent or the consent of the next of kin? Hasn't there been a number of scandals regarding this, especially with children, in recent years?

Not sure how positive it is?

Positive as in taking organs from the dead without their (prior) consent or the consent of the next of kin? Hasn't there been a number of scandals regarding this, especially with children, in recent years?

Everyone will be assumed to be an organ donor unless they previously have stated they are opposed to organ transplantation. The organs will not be kept for any other purpose as you elude to above. The key factor is the difficulty involved in the discussions with families in such cases however with a change in society's view, hopefully this will go smoothly and be a success. If religious bodies and personal opinion mean people don't want to be a donor then fair enough, but if the majority would be happy to get a donated organ if they needed it then why automatically assume they wouldn't want to donate?

Don't get me wrong it's a very delicate area on a personal level, but on a population level it makes sense.

Guest TPAFKATS

Everyone will be assumed to be an organ donor unless they previously have stated they are opposed to organ transplantation. The organs will not be kept for any other purpose as you elude to above. The key factor is the difficulty involved in the discussions with families in such cases however with a change in society's view, hopefully this will go smoothly and be a success. If religious bodies and personal opinion mean people don't want to be a donor then fair enough, but if the majority would be happy to get a donated organ if they needed it then why automatically assume they wouldn't want to donate?

Don't get me wrong it's a very delicate area on a personal level, but on a population level it makes sense.

I genuinely wasn't alluding to organs being used for other purposes although now that you mention it...

I have had conversations with transplant coordinators a few years ago, not bereavement related, and know how difficult their job can be with regards trying to convince grieving relatives to donate healthy organs.

Your assuming that the majority would be happy to take a donated organ and assuming that if they haven't opted out then they would want to donate

I have carried a donor card previously and have now have signed up through my driving license however I find it wrong that a government proposes to intrude so much even after you are dead.

The current system is fine - just needs to attract more donors.