The Leicester City Thread

Leicester Saint

How is it made up?

In 2014 Leicester did a deal resulting in an £11m increase in commerical income over the previous season, which offset some of their losses, enabling them to comply with Financial Fair Play criteria. As a comparison, their local rivals Derby, managed a commercial deal for £700k. Typical shirt sponsorship in that league is £250-£500k. So how did Leicester manager to achieve £11m ?

Later the same year, the rights for the main sponsorships were sold to the club's owners, who funnily enough were already sponsoring the shirts and stadium prior to the fantastic deal that reduced the debts by £11m.

The company who bought and then sold the commercial rights was newly formed by family members of someone reported to have close links to the club's owners. This company that performs multi-million pound deals shares an address with another company run by the one of the family members, on a trading estate in Sheffield. There is no signage for the sports rights company at the premises, they don't have a phone number, nor a website.

The implication is that this company was set up with the sole purpose of doing a deal to buy at an inflated price, and then sell back, commercial rights to enable the club to circumvent Financial Fair Play rules, thus allowing them to spend more on players than their rival who adhered to the rules. This is unproven, and the matter is still under investigation.

If this turns out to be the case, it gave them an edge over their rivals getting into the premier league. It doesn't change the fact that Leicesters entire squad was put together for about £40 million and they are top of the league ahead of teams who have spent more like £200 or £300 million.

ETA: And most of their starting 11 were bought for (relatively) pennies:

Mahrez 375K

Vardy £1m

Ulloa £8m

Simpson £2m

Okasaki £8m

Kante £7m

Huth £3m

Schmiechal £1.5M

Edited by irvine_buddie

The thing that makes Leicester's story this season so amazing is the complete turnaround from last season, with a bunch of players brought together in unlikely circumstances.

Mahrez, bought for next to nothing in modern day terms from French Ligue 2, after being told he'd never make it cos he was too small.

Kante, struggling through the French lower leagues, going nowhere really.

Huth, surplus to requirements at Stoke.

Albrighton, not good enough for Villa (seriously!!??)

Drinkwater, pushed out at Man Utd.

And as for Vardy? His story alone is one of the most amazing ever!

Then there's Claudio. Sacked by Greece, his career stalling. His appointment doubted at best, ridiculed at worst. A figure of fun to the same 'big team' media that exists in England just as it does in Scotland.

And how he's answering his critics now! In the best way, on the pitch and in the dressing room.

It'll mean so much to me if they can just keep it going now and get over the line.

Anyone who doesn't know my Leicester City story should read the OP on this thread. I've lived here for 7 years now, I could never have dreamed about this possibility.

Come on you Foxes! Keep it going!

If this turns out to be the case...it doesn't change the fact that Leicesters entire squad was put together for about £40 million and they are top of the league ahead of teams who have spent more like £200 or £300 million.

I believe they've spent nearly £40 this season alone, and similar last season (haven't looked up the exact figures.)

I accept that other teams have spent much more, which certainly makes it amusing when they are being outperformed by Leicester.

However, lets not pretend this is a 'fairytale', akin to Gala Fairydean winning the Scottish Premier. The ratio of £40m spend to a spend of £200-£300m is similar in relative terms to the ratio between Aberdeen and Celtic. Unfortunately Aberdeen have fallen by the wayside once again, otherwise we'd have a similar story up here as the one going on down in England.

The fact is that Leicester are spending the sort of money that could buy a club like ours many times over, and the suggestion is that they may have financially doped to get themselves into that position. For these reasons, I hope they blow it.

Its a Foxes triumph. Look at the form book, they score they don't concede. West Ham concede goals galore, Utd and Chelsea are rank. Game over and a fantastic achievement and shows what team spirit, good man management and a footballing brain can do. Also shows up the muppetts in that league who cant manage or grow clubs, just feed and feed off them

I believe they've spent nearly £40 this season alone, and similar last season (haven't looked up the exact figures.)

I accept that other teams have spent much more, which certainly makes it amusing when they are being outperformed by Leicester.

However, lets not pretend this is a 'fairytale', akin to Gala Fairydean winning the Scottish Premier. The ratio of £40m spend to a spend of £200-£300m is similar in relative terms to the ratio between Aberdeen and Celtic. Unfortunately Aberdeen have fallen by the wayside once again, otherwise we'd have a similar story up here as the one going on down in England.

The fact is that Leicester are spending the sort of money that could buy a club like ours many times over, and the suggestion is that they may have financially doped to get themselves into that position. For these reasons, I hope they blow it.

Why don't you try trolling somewhere else? Nobody's really biting.

Why don't you try trolling somewhere else? Nobody's really biting.

How is this trolling? People seem to be unaware that this club are under investigation for financial shenanigans. If you, as a fan, are happy to overlook that, then that's your choice. Personally I find the amount of money sloshing about in English football obscene, and I get particularly aggrieved when club boards flaunt the rules, in their pursuit of even greater riches.

How is this trolling? People seem to be unaware that this club are under investigation for financial shenanigans. If you, as a fan, are happy to overlook that, then that's your choice. Personally I find the amount of money sloshing about in English football obscene, and I get particularly aggrieved when club boards flaunt the rules, in their pursuit of even greater riches.

See this pish.......................

WTF does it matter to you? It's quite simple, it's what TV, sponsors, etc are willing to pay as it makes them even more money.

Obscene? you're easily upset.

Give it a rest! bye1.gif

Geez mate, what a statement, the EPL is what it is down to SKY, oh and massive global watching figures, they have Leicester, Stoke, Norwich etc on sale in over 300 countries, so there is NO comparison at all with us. We are national league, league two at best.

Its not Leicester's fault that LVG , MP and the like have spent over half a billion pounds, and are still shit. Leicester aren't and its more refreshing the way they play. It is Roy of the Rovers, you cant ever get another example ever. Blackburn spent millions to win their title, and lets not forget in March 2015. Leicester were 2oth and DOWN. The turn around is a fairytale and personally I hope they win Champions League next year. Whats the odds 5000-1 , I don't think lol

Eighty quid and they can win the English Premiership with games to spare? Fcuking brilliant job Ranieri is doing. Fair play to them.

Eighty quid and they can win the English Premiership with games to spare? Fcuking brilliant job Ranieri is doing. Fair play to them.

That was just on the pizza Ranieri bought them all for keeping their first clean sheet! Think it was November before they kept a clean sheet, now they have 5 in a row.. bizarre.

If the referee gives that West Ham penalty for grappling in the box, he needs to give Leicester one for the West Ham player wrapping his arm around Huth's throat a few minutes later.

Willie Collum!

Edit: He gives them a really soft one just as I posted!

Leicester score. Last kick - could be a vital point.

Edited by pozbaird

One positive about the point Leicester earned today is that now both Man City and Arsenal are 13 points behind. With each team having 5 games left to play so a maximum of 15 points to be gained. Neither can afford to lose even a single game. They play each other in their penultimate fixture.

Referee was a disgrace today. Want to watch the highlights later but he was inconsistent in his decisions all day long, and that's what really galls football fans.

Anyway, another point closer. Just 8 more please.

Referree wasn't great, pressure certainly got to him. However, ironically was correct with Vardy, albeit missed the first yellow that was due Vardy, booked him for a non tackle then booked him for a dive. Why did Vardy have to accentuate contact he made in that way, it was stupid.

Ref should never have given West Ham a penalty when he did, likewise gave Leiceter one to even things up late on, knew he had missed a Liecester penalty a few minds earlier, but what he did give, well, that was a joke penalty.

That all said, Leicester are going to stumble a bit here and there, but tbh 2-2 was fair. West Ham are a good team, massively improved. They are strong and no little skill, they have a clever manager.

Be interesting to see what happens to Vardy, and possibly Liecester during his one or two games ban, this ain't over yet, especially if Tottenham win at Stoke.

Squeaky bum time, geat stuff at both ends of the table right enough, crackin entertainment