The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What "panels, polls etc"? Everyone from both sides who were dissecting it afterwards all agreed that it was completely neutral and didn't try to claim that Darling had won anything.

Big Phil there seems to be the only one who thinks Darling walked it. I have just had discussions with 2 NO supporting mates on Twitter who agree that it was a rather drab affair with no new info and no winner as such.

The STV programme that's on right now keep quoting a poll that suggest that 54% say Darling won it, 46% say Salmond. This was supposed to be a night where Salmond was going to win big to turn it all around - it's a massive flop in that respect.

The STV programme that's on right now keep quoting a poll that suggest that 54% say Darling won it, 46% say Salmond. This was supposed to be a night where Salmond was going to win big to turn it all around - it's a massive flop in that respect.

So pretty much the NO voters think their guy won, the YES voters think their guy won, no-one has changed their vote based on it, and it was basically a draw. Cheers.

Europe will always rule the roost whatever happens.

Britain will be divided into regions with each region having " little power "

Scotland will just be a minor region of Europe whatever way the vote goes.

And we'll do what we're f*cking told.

Cameron, Salmond ,etc are just irrelevent mouthpieces of the real powerbrokers.

As are all MP's & MSP's.

The General Public are sheep with no power.

Europe will always rule the roost whatever happens.

Britain will be divided into regions with each region having " little power "

Scotland will just be a minor region of Europe whatever way the vote goes.

And we'll do what we're f*cking told.

Cameron, Salmond ,etc are just irrelevent mouthpieces of the real powerbrokers.

As are all MP's & MSP's.

The General Public are sheep with no power.

There is plenty truth in there young man . .

I personally , just no longer want to pay for WMD's , nor do I want my weans or their weans paying for the f**kers (nor do l want the biggest WMD's arsenal in Europe on my doorstep) especially when there are weans in this country relying on food banks . That can no longer be justified . .

Guest TPAFKATS

Bernard Ponsonby was the winner tonight.

The format however is shite. IMO

They tried to fit too many things into one show and the cross questioning doesn't work. They should've known this from previous debates on Scotland Tonight.

Salmond was disappointing in that he took too long to get the link between the scare stories. FWIW, The aliens claim was made by Philip Hammond foreign secretary when he was on a flying visit as defence secretary.

Darling was angry from his opening statement, and only got louder.

Oh! Oh! Do I detect the start of some ill feeling to "incomers"? jerry.gif

Not at all - just making an observation.

In the same way that Newsnight (English version) sent a reporter to "Scotchland" & interviewed 3 local youngsters.

1 was a typical ABC1 - white girl

1 was black

& 1 was of Asian descent

Not that I have a problem whatsoever with ANY of them, but, the tv team must've tried hard to get a cross-mix like that in Motherwell. Not impossible, but, a damn sight easier in Nottingham or Birmingham to do that!

Guest TPAFKATS

Would that be the ICM Guardian poll that shows yes voters thought Salmond won; no voters thought darling won; however the don't knows had it 55-45 for Salmond?

So pretty much the NO voters think their guy won, the YES voters think their guy won, no-one has changed their vote based on it, and it was basically a draw. Cheers.

The problem for the Yes campaign though is that they had to convince some of the no voters to change their minds. They didn't.

This was Alex Salmond's big chance as he's supposed to be a great debater and must have thought he'd wipe the floor with Darling.

He didn't though.

When Salmond started down the right hand side driving, aliens line of questioning he made himself look stupid.

And he's never going to win the currency debate.

The problem for the Yes campaign though is that they had to convince some of the no voters to change their minds. They didn't.

This was Alex Salmond's big chance as he's supposed to be a great debater and must have thought he'd wipe the floor with Darling.

He didn't though.

When Salmond started down the right hand side driving, aliens line of questioning he made himself look stupid.

I've watched it now. The point in the debate that give Darling the win was the bit where they interrogated each other. Although Darling stuck in the main with the one question on currency he did so in a way that appeared measured, he'd let Salmond speak, then come back and challenge again. This was a good strategy from Darling as Salmonds constant attempts to deflect the question very quickly grated on anyone watching. Then when Salmond got his turn his questions were cringe worthy - I mean will his political career survive beyond the referendum now he's tagged with that question about Aliens from space invading us? His credibility around the world was dumped in the toilet at that point. Salmond also needs to learn that it gets very annoying, very quickly when he asks a question and talks all over the response. .

Not at all - just making an observation.

In the same way that Newsnight (English version) sent a reporter to "Scotchland" & interviewed 3 local youngsters.

1 was a typical ABC1 - white girl

1 was black

& 1 was of Asian descent

Not that I have a problem whatsoever with ANY of them, but, the tv team must've tried hard to get a cross-mix like that in Motherwell. Not impossible, but, a damn sight easier in Nottingham or Birmingham to do that!

Who cares what colour or nationality people voting in this referendum are?

Certainly not me. Do you?

He didn't though.

Wrong.

Salmond doesn't need to convert anyone.

He needed to be good last night to reach those who hadn't even engaged in the debate yet.

Not everyone in the country is as obsessed as we are over this.

The vast majority of people simply haven't tuned into the debate yet.

Nobody won that last night.

It's odd that a few papers are getting excited over the currency issue but it's really very simple - we'll be using the pound. There are noly so many ways you can say that.

Quite why Darling spent so much time on one question and ended up shouting for most of the night ..... only he can know.

Both men were boo-ed and both were laughed at.

There were no winners.

Wrong.

He needed to be good last night to reach those who hadn't even engaged in the debate yet.

It's odd that a few papers are getting excited over the currency issue but it's really very simple - we'll be using the pound. There are noly so many ways you can say that.

Quite why Darling spent so much time on one question and ended up shouting for most of the night ..... only he can know.

There were no winners.

A bit like you really. whistling.gif

People need to remember a yes vote isn't a vote for Alex Salmond. I'll be voting yes but I think wee Eck made a James Hunt of it tonight. I mean aliens FFS

Did you even watch it?

He was deliberately taking the piss out of Darling and got the laughter he was after.

Hey that rhymes.....cool !

A bit like you really. whistling.gif

I'll come back to you when that makes sense.

Now if you'd had a university education you have made sense, I'd have understood it and we'd all be down the pub discussing other matters.

Yes, yes I know it's only quarter past 10 in the morning but still you get my point. Or not. Either....look....just...sigh....doesn't matter.

Edited by oaksoft

I'll come back to you when that makes sense.

Now if you'd had a university education you have made sense, I'd have understood it and we'd all be down the pub discussing other matters.

Yes, yes I know it's only quarter past 10 in the morning but still you get my point. Or not. Either....look....just...sigh....doesn't matter.

You see, everyone, well almost everyone.............................ach, doesn't matter. bye1.gif

Wrong.

There were no winners.

Wrong in your opinion

IMO its you who is wrong.

Most folk have an opinion on the referendum one way or another. Those who don't really care at all wouldn't have watched it last night.

Salmond had to convince folk like me, who could actually have been swayed, to change their minds. It actually went the other way and reinforced my view that I should vote no.

Its interesting that most of the no voters on here are declaring they thought the debate was crap and no one won it. Before hand, most of these folk and folk like me as well, expected Salmond to come over better.

He didn't. And he actually verged on making himself a laughing stock with his outer space and right hand side of the road questions.