The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

it's a real issue, hardly a red herring, scottish companies/people who owe money to others in another country would have to pay using currency exchange prices at the exchange rate which would be in use at the time,there would be 2 years to sort that out anyway,there is no way that any currency taken up will allow people to default on debt owed-this would obviously be debt incurred when in a single currency and would legally be a recoverable debt,and if government departments have a plan as you say, why are they not declaring it and how do you know about it if they are not sharing it, and finally great britain would still be great britain ,and the united kingdom would still be the united kingdom, just would not have scotland as a part of it. sorry to have to disprove all of your points

Think you have answered the original question about what will happen with the currency.

Do you think the UK Govt is so stupid that it has not got plans and contingencies in place?

Think you have answered the original question about what will happen with the currency.

Do you think the UK Govt is so stupid that it has not got plans and contingencies in place?

The United Kingdom of England and .........................................England?

no i dont think i have answered the question because i dont know what will happen.

i dont think the uk government need any plans for the pound, it will still have the pound,just that george osbourne said it will not share the pound with an independent scotland, he as you say, has a plan and he has stated it, "no ifs no buts,independent scotland will not share the pound"

no i dont think i have answered the question because i dont know what will happen.

i dont think the uk government need any plans for the pound, it will still have the pound,just that george osbourne said it will not share the pound with an independent scotland, he as you say, has a plan and he has stated it, "no ifs no buts,independent scotland will not share the pound"

He has done that to scare you into voting no , he is a politician after all.

mail-front-page.jpg?w=696

Scaremongering at it's finest. Despicable...

it's not scaring me vambo, in fact it's perfectly normal to have borders between independent countries,so i dont know why milliband thinks it is a concern,it might concern those who dont have a passport and want to cross the border, that is about the only problem i see here

it's not scaring me vambo, in fact it's perfectly normal to have borders between independent countries,so i dont know why milliband thinks it is a concern,it might concern those who dont have a passport and want to cross the border, that is about the only problem i see here

Given the Mail's position on immigration I would thought they'd be overjoyed about border controls.

He has done that to scare you into voting no , he is a politician after all.

well he failed, it doesnt scare me at all,concerned yes,scared no, i've stated before that i hate politicians and do not like the current politicians who are in the scottish government,and i cant for the life of me understand when people dismiss that point by stating "yes they are rubbish but we can dump the snp after independence" all well and good - but who are you going to replace them with ? other politicians whose identity you have no idea about at the moment ?these saviours of scotland are very quiet are they not ? i would have expected them to be campaigning for a yes vote at least.

well he failed, it doesnt scare me at all,concerned yes,scared no, i've stated before that i hate politicians and do not like the current politicians who are in the scottish government,and i cant for the life of me understand when people dismiss that point by stating "yes they are rubbish but we can dump the snp after independence" all well and good - but who are you going to replace them with ? other politicians whose identity you have no idea about at the moment ?these saviours of scotland are very quiet are they not ? i would have expected them to be campaigning for a yes vote at least.

At least we agree about politicians.

They would be answerable to solely the Scottish electorate. That has to be a positive.

And you believe him without question?

Fair enough.

Vote no.

The rest of us will vote Yes knowing we'll have the pound as our currency.

No idea where the uncertainty on that is coming from.

With regards ruk patrolling a border to keep out the hordes;

How are all these immigrants that want to get into England, actually getting into Scotland in the first place?

Presumably they will simply swim from the continent.

Or perhaps they'll dig a tunnel from France to Edinburgh.

Perhaps they'll nick some canoes at Calais and dodge the ferries and the puffins to arrive at North Berwick stopping only for a fish supper, avoiding all the friendly welcoming Scots who want them to stay and go to England to live amongst people who hate them and fear them.

Anyway I must have missed the announcement from Salmond which said we'll remove all barriers arnd allow every person who wants to come here to get a passport.

Maybe he only made this announcement in England.

Presumably they will simply swim from the continent.

Or perhaps they'll dig a tunnel from France to Edinburgh.

Perhaps they'll nick some canoes at Calais and dodge the ferries and the puffins to arrive at North Berwick stopping only for a fish supper, avoiding all the friendly welcoming Scots who want them to stay and go to England to live amongst people who hate them and fear them.

Anyway I must have missed the announcement from Salmond which said we'll remove all barriers arnd allow every person who wants to come here to get a passport.

Maybe he only made this announcement in England.

He made his admission in Scotland, to Scottish people. You were just too incapable of seeing the facts in the debate. Shame really. I would have expected better from a so called "scientist" rolleyes.gif

With 700,000 Scots already having said that in the event of a Yes vote on Independence that they would consider leaving the country that puts the figure of incoming immigrants at 724,000 in the first year to hit Alex Salmonds target rolleyes.gif

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/salmond-sets-immigration-target-of-24000-per-year.24352610

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/independent-scotland-need-24000-immigrants-3620365

Edited by Stuart Dickson

In terms of the use of the pound, here's a thought - why not ask ex-chancellor Alistair Darling if we can continue to use it?

Ffs, peeps, it's not hard - it's a short term measure until we decide the course of action that suits us best. Just like every other country that used to be part of sterling did when they gained independence from the empire.

Edited by salmonbuddie

I have been very interested in the headlines over the last couple of days with regard to Yes camp gains, No camp plans to counter etc.

When I first posted on this thread I noted that I had been undecided, was open to being convinced of the Yes camp arguments, though was ultimately left feeling disillusioned by the quality of the debate on both sides. Given what I considered to be too many variables, unanswerable questions, gray areas and plain and simple risk, in particular financial, I decided to vote No. I have not wavered from that decision since. Moreover, I subsequently posted that I considered the best of both worlds to be further Devolution as, to my mind, this was a positive middle ground where we retain the benefits of the existing Union with Wales, Northern Ireland and England, while gaining increased powers for self determination.

There will doubtless be hardened No voters who are dead against further Devolution, equally there will be hardened Yes voters who want independence an nothing else will do. Given that I need to stress, and I say this with all due respect, the following question is not intended for the dyed-in-the-wool Yes or No voters, god forbid that the usual suspects (I include myself) go down the rat hole of attacking each others views all over again on "Tomato" / "Tomahto" issues.

The question I'd like to pose, to those on the forum who are either a) undecided voters or borderline Yes voters, is ....does the prospect of increased Devloution / Devo Max appeal to you in the event of a No vote, and if so have the latest predicted proposals helped you decide what way to vote?