Partick Thistle V St Mirren Top League 9/11/13

shull

A few thoughts from yesterday.

Naismith looks hard, strong, can tackle and not bad going forward. The tackle in which he injured himself, in the box on a yellow card, was magnificent.

Kello is so assured you would think he had been goal for us for 10 years.

I'm not sure if Thistle giving up the main stand to the away fans is helping their form at Firhill. Felt almost like we were at home.

A few thoughts from yesterday.

Naismith looks hard, strong, can tackle and not bad going forward. The tackle in which he injured himself, in the box on a yellow card, was magnificent.

Kello is so assured you would think he had been goal for us for 10 years.

I'm not sure if Thistle giving up the main stand to the away fans is helping their form at Firhill. Felt almost like we were at home.

Yep , there was one moment in the second half yesterday when we won the ball in the left back area, & broke forward, when the ball was whipped over Naismith was our furthest forward player. Great to see the young uns coming through.

It was a solid defensive performance. The back four all played well and Kello was in good form too.

In the first half Thistle looked dangerous but we handled the majority of their pressure well barring possibly two bad misses (the corner with two fresh air shots and then over the bar being one and the other ?from a cross). The majority of this was caused by Newton not adapting as well to the defensive requirements as McGinn on the other side.

In saying that Thistle were less effective in the second half and were limited to shots from distance, with our play limiting them more effectively than in the 1st half.

Despite scoring 3 and winning comfortably our play going forward wasn't as fluent as the County game, but even so this is part of the winning ugly that Danny and TC have to instil in the team. If we can outplay teams and win playing attractive football, as would have been the case in the County game, that should be the plan. If not and teams impose themselves on us as was the case yesterday especially in the first half we have to do the simple defensive things well and build from there.

We have good players, but as was shown yesterday grafting as a team in difficult situations comes first and results are now following. McGowan's ball to Newton and the subsequent finish was brilliant and shows the talent in the team which when we don't give 2-3 goals away and make things difficult for ourselves means we are capable of winning any game in the league.

It was a solid defensive performance. The back four all played well and Kello was in good form too.

In the first half Thistle looked dangerous but we handled the majority of their pressure well barring possibly two bad misses (the corner with two fresh air shots and then over the bar being one and the other ?from a cross). The majority of this was caused by Newton not adapting as well to the defensive requirements as McGinn on the other side.

In saying that Thistle were less effective in the second half and were limited to shots from distance, with our play limiting them more effectively than in the 1st half.

Despite scoring 3 and winning comfortably our play going forward wasn't as fluent as the County game, but even so this is part of the winning ugly that Danny and TC have to instil in the team. If we can outplay teams and win playing attractive football, as would have been the case in the County game, that should be the plan. If not and teams impose themselves on us as was the case yesterday especially in the first half we have to do the simple defensive things well and build from there.

We have good players, but as was shown yesterday grafting as a team in difficult situations comes first and results are now following. McGowan's ball to Newton and the subsequent finish was brilliant and shows the talent in the team which when we don't give 2-3 goals away and make things difficult for ourselves means we are capable of winning any game in the league.

Just hitting form when we can be reasonably confident playing County and in a much better place than when we were supposed to play Celtic.

6 points from these games and were chasing top 6 right enough.

Then again....................shutup.gif

6 points from these games and were chasing top 6 right enough.

Then again....................Posted Image

Everyone will have their own opinion. Glass half full, half empty or permanently empty as the case may be depending on who you ask.

However, Naismith, Kelly, McGinn and McLean all starting, playing well and contributing to the team can only be a good thing.

Only 5 bigger away wins in the past 25 years:

5-1 Stranraer (Torfason 2, Kinnaird, McDowall, Victor), 26/01/91, Scottish Cup 3rd round

4-0 East Fife (Gillies 2, Hetherston, Taylor), 17/08/96, 1st Division

6-0 Raith Rovers (Yardley 2, Lavety, Ross, Walker, McGarry), 14/08/99, 1st Division

4-0 Ross County (Kean, van Zanten, Sutton, Murray), 03/12/05, 1st Division

6-1 Peterhead (McGowan 3, McQuade 2, Mooy), 18/01/11, Scottish Cup 4th round replay

Only 5 bigger away wins in the past 25 years:

5-1 Stranraer (Torfason 2, Kinnaird, McDowall, Victor), 26/01/91, Scottish Cup 3rd round

4-0 East Fife (Gillies 2, Hetherston, Taylor), 17/08/96, 1st Division

6-0 Raith Rovers (Yardley 2, Lavety, Ross, Walker, McGarry), 14/08/99, 1st Division

4-0 Ross County (Kean, van Zanten, Sutton, Murray), 03/12/05, 1st Division

6-1 Peterhead (McGowan 3, McQuade 2, Mooy), 18/01/11, Scottish Cup 4th round replay

Didn't we win 4-0 away to Airdrie our 2005/06 season?

Ian Anderson scored a couple?

Edit- just checked, it was 4-1.

Edited by davidg

I thought the Saints support was magnificent yesterday , just a wee quiet spell during the nervous moments second half.

I would love to see us take a substantial support to Dumfries for the cup game. Be nice to see the club subsidise travel club buses.

Not going to happen i know but i can hope !

miserable cnut

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, it's a pity you never posted such a good statement after these classic "on topic" posts:-

Or is it a case of the old "one rule for some and another rule for the rest?"

I wasn't on line then and I have faraway on ignore...

You're also on ignore but I clicked to see what pish you were posting tonight.

I don't think I'm the only one who is fed up with all the pish you and faraway post about each other, the ignore function is highly recommended.

Good shout, why don't we bring back Guslol.gif

You're the one bringing him into the discussion, as far as I'm concerned he's the day before yesterday's news.

It is relevant to question why we started the season so poorly and why Lennon didn't address the problems that were apparent since preseason until we were out of the LC and our advantage over Hearts cut to 9 points. I notice neither of his two last minute pre-window signings Bahoken & Caprice got any game time yesterday.

Feel free to continue with this line of posting.

What I find most pleasing is that we were struggling badly for a long time and the main players who really showed they were up for the fight and upped their game significantly were the youngsters; McLean, McGinn, Naismith, Kelly, Dilo. Excellent to see.

dilo ? you were not at the game at all were you