Billy Mehmet

craignumawan

People love Teale, yes Teale the chap that hasn't scored a goal in the league with us in 2 and a half years

How do you know that he's far from match fit? You should phone up Danny and tip him off.

Both Teale and Mehmet have done good jobs for us but they ain't out and out strikers but they are in our budget range.

Who do you think is the answer, Van Persie or Rooney perhaps?

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Mehmet, striker, Teale, no a striker.

I smell anger and desperation.

Away and work on more of your "You don't go" lines, they're funny. bye1.gif

PS Rooney & Van Persie. 1eye.gif

I can remember an interview where Billy himself said he did not regard himself as a goalscorer but as a forward who preferred to play behind a target man striker but because of his height he was often played as the target man. With us Billy was often the lone forward with only Dorman supporting from deep midfield. Billy was often isolated up front with us.

I could see him play more the Paul McGowan role or playing alongside a natural goalscorer (Adam Campbell?). When he left us allegedly Aberdeen and Motherwell were interested in him.

We now have football players in the team and I reckon Billy would fit in a lot better this time assuming he is physically fit and match fit.

I can remember an interview where Billy himself said he did not regard himself as a goalscorer but as a forward who preferred to play behind a target man striker but because of his height he was often played as the target man. With us Billy was often the lone forward with only Dorman supporting from deep midfield. Billy was often isolated up front with us.

I could see him play more the Paul McGowan role or playing alongside a natural goalscorer (Adam Campbell?). When he left us allegedly Aberdeen and Motherwell were interested in him.

We now have football players in the team and I reckon Billy would fit in a lot better this time assuming he is physically fit and match fit.

Now there's the $100 question

My feeling is that he was a player on whom Saints could rely to try his best - which was not bad - at a time when there was not such other talent as we now have, in support of his solo role up front.

He scored some good, some vital goals - not as prolific as Thommo -but circumstances have changed. There would be more of a team effort in support.

Billy can do a job. :)

Whether Mehmet could do a job or not now, I'm not sure... probably too many years away at pretty inferior leagues to easily decide.

However if we look back on his time with us, he was the best we had at the time and his goal return is pretty good going considering he was pretty much isolated most of the time, and he had to deal with Mr Happy's shitfest tactics and long balls into the channels in most games. Indeed on the last point his best games were often when we actually did try and win games as opposed to avoiding defeat, so our current way of playing might suit him better. And another thing to throw into the mix is that Thommo wasn't really prolific anywhere else in his career, the combination of playing for a team he loves and the style of football has brought the best out in him...who knows, maybe this might happen with Billy too.

Guest somner9

Whether Mehmet could do a job or not now, I'm not sure... probably too many years away at pretty inferior leagues to easily decide.

However if we look back on his time with us, he was the best we had at the time and his goal return is pretty good going considering he was pretty much isolated most of the time, and he had to deal with Mr Happy's shitfest tactics and long balls into the channels in most games. Indeed on the last point his best games were often when we actually did try and win games as opposed to avoiding defeat, so our current way of playing might suit him better. And another thing to throw into the mix is that Thommo wasn't really prolific anywhere else in his career, the combination of playing for a team he loves and the style of football has brought the best out in him...who knows, maybe this might happen with Billy too.

That sentence... too true bud. my abiding memory of Billy's time on the ball is largely chasing a long punt towards the shy-line/corner....

Do you think Mr Happy was deep down a frustrated rugby coach who insisted his team 'Kick for touch' at every opportunity?

I often wondered whether he was spread-betting as everytime we had a KO - the ball would invariably be hoofed straight out for a shy half way nto the opposition half within seconds.

It happened so often I really should have put some money on myself.

During one of the club's Q&A sessions he was asked about this. The reply was that it was a deliberate "tactic" to ensure that we didn't lose possession in our half, and had advanced into the final third area.

I vividly recall the looks of utter bewilderment in the room in response to this. I had to check the date on my watch in case it was the first day of April and this had escaped my notice.

Edit for typos

Edited by Drew

Guest somner9

During of the club's Q&A sessions he was asked about this. The reply was that it was a deliberate "tactic" to ensure that we didn't lose possession in our half, and had adanced into the final third area.

I vividly recall the looks of utter bewilderment in the room in response to this. I had to check the date on my watch in case it was the first day of April and this had escaped my notice.

Didn't anyone call out "how Gus..! is that no rugby tactics yir talking there"

During of the club's Q&A sessions he was asked about this. The reply was that it was a deliberate "tactic" to ensure that we didn't lose possession in our half, and had adanced into the final third area.

It was the same at every goal kick also.

We had Billy at a touchline line and no one in the middle so the ball mostly went out for a throw in to the other team

I often wondered whether he was spread-betting as everytime we had a KO - the ball would invariably be launched straight out for a shy half way into the opposition half within seconds.

It happened so often I really should have put some money on myself.

I'd just put that down to Chris Smith's kicking...

Until I heard the plausible gaining-ground theory.

I like that idea.

Not the practice of it, but the daft idea. :)

During of the club's Q&A sessions he was asked about this. The reply was that it was a deliberate "tactic" to ensure that we didn't lose possession in our half, and had advanced into the final third area.

Although a current forum member still believes this "tactic" is the way ahead and even more unbelievably thinks it's why we're on a current decent run of form. 1eye.gif

Remember a cup game at home a few years ago against Aberdeen, we were winning and for the last 15 minutes possibly longer, we done nothing but kick the ball as hard as possible up the park. The inevitable happened, they hammered us and scored in the dying minutes. Yes, we got humped in the replay. thumbdown.gif

You couldn't make that type of story up, could you? whistling.gif

Said hello to Billy and told him will never forget that semi final goal. Is he coming back to Saints he was asked. Nothing fixed up (yet) was his answer.

We have the new striker from Newcastle coming in so why another striker. Then again maybe a couple of players might be getting shipped out leaving room for another new face. Time will tell.

Said hello to Billy and told him will never forget that semi final goal. Is he coming back to Saints he was asked. Nothing fixed up (yet) was his answer.

We have the new striker from Newcastle coming in so why another striker. Then again maybe a couple of players might be getting shipped out leaving room for another new face. Time will tell.

Well that rules out Billy.

My only contribution is that Billy Mehmet was a good midfielder who got pushed up front because of his size, ability to hold players off and linking up with others. St mirren relied on him as the main striking option when players like Dargo came in and failed to inspire. Big Billy was the only one willing to carry the cause when our goal-less front line were letting us down, he literally would play anywhere to get a game and took all the criticism that came his way for a lack of goals, a real shame as we would have been playing defenders up front just to fill a slot if he hadn't taken on the attacking role.

Fit, strong, all heart and not short of a bit of skill, there should be a place at every club for a Mehmet. if he played with the tag of "goalscoring midfielder and utility player", rather than "striker short on goals2 then there would be a vastly different opinion of him.