Newton Loan Ending

Conor Newton will be forever be a St Mirren legend for scoring our winning goal in the league cup final but will the legend be looking at pastures new with his loan coming to an end.

Putting sentiments aside would we lesser side without him?

Who would fill the void in the midfield from our current squad?

Are we better using the wage contribution for another area of the side where we have less competition if so where?

Should we do all in our power to persuade Newcastle and the player to extend the loan?

Thoughts?

To be fair, he's 22 now, so isn't really a youngster as such anymore. Had he been 19 or 20, I'd have been inclined to say he's better off staying. He has to make that step up in level to find out what sort of career he'll have, though..be it with a Championship club or Newcastle. From a selfish point of view, I want him here rest of the season and beyond.

Realistically though, he's a level or two above the level we play at and in his year here, he's proven he's worthy of a bigger gig.

If he stays, it would be amazing. I reckon he'll go though. And best of luck to the guy. Hopefully see him back in the stripes one day.

I think he likes it here and will stay for the remainder of the season, then next season he will look to push for a starting place at Newcastle as Dummett has done.

Although I think Newton is a good player, I don't see him challenging for a place at Newcastle, purely as their midfield is so strong.

I fully expect him to go to a Championship side, weren't Milwall mentioned prior to him signing for us?

Although I think Newton is a good player, I don't see him challenging for a place at Newcastle, purely as their midfield is so strong.

I fully expect him to go to a Championship side,

I believe that's his thought also..

Would love it if he signed for us though.

Edited by davidg

Conor Newton will be forever be a St Mirren legend for scoring our winning goal in the league cup final but will the legend be looking at pastures new with his loan coming to an end.

Putting sentiments aside would we lesser side without him?

Who would fill the void in the midfield from our current squad?

Are we better using the wage contribution for another area of the side where we have less competition if so where?

Should we do all in our power to persuade Newcastle and the player to extend the loan?

Thoughts?

With Newton playing on the right, Teale should be able to return from injury and back into the side.

I'll be sorry to see Newton go and like everyone else I wish him every success.

I can't see him breaking into the Newcastle midfield. No shame in that given the talent of Cabaye, Tiote and others there.

However he is good enough to be in the Championship long term and I'd understand that if he wants to move on in January.

Don't think we should rely on Teale to replace him as he is struggling with injury and is 34(?) now.

We'll miss Conor's drive and energy, that's a certainty.

We have a good midfield core, however, and I don't think losing him in January would be a massive blow. A fit Gary Teale would be a major bonus, but he will be some way off match fitness when he does return, so nothing can be taken for granted.

I'd love him to stay, but Newton has been great for us, and he deserves a shot wherever he reckons he can progress his career.

Would be a blow but I didn't think we would have seen him in the stripes this season anyway so its been a bonus and a pleasure to watch him playing again this season.

It seems we don't actually have too many central midfielders either. If Newwwwton is leaving us and McGowan in trouble just now that could leave us short. The board might want to sell McLean for a fee instead of letting his contract run out.

Really tricky window coming up for the club. We do have a decent gap on Hearts but we aren't streets ahead of the play off spot.

• 3 weeks later...

To be fair, he's 22 now, so isn't really a youngster as such anymore. Had he been 19 or 20, I'd have been inclined to say he's better off staying. He has to make that step up in level to find out what sort of career he'll have, though..be it with a Championship club or Newcastle. From a selfish point of view, I want him here rest of the season and beyond.

Realistically though, he's a level or two above the level we play at and in his year here, he's proven he's worthy of a bigger gig.

If he stays, it would be amazing. I reckon he'll go though. And best of luck to the guy. Hopefully see him back in the stripes one day.

Don't really see it to be honest - Newton shows some flashes of real quality play, but largely I think most games - even at SPFL level - pass him by and he struggles to make an impact. He will still improve, but unless there is a clause in his loan deal I fail to see why he is one of the first names on Danny's teamsheet every week. McGinn is years younger and light years ahead.