Vinyl Lp Players

oaksoft

I've got 2, one is hooked up to my hifi, the other one can be hooked up to it but it's also got a USB connection so I can (eventually) have all my vinyl saved to my pc, then I'll be able to transfer that to my ipod. Got the second one at Curries/PC world.

If you're interested in a second hand Bush record player (the non USB one) send me a pm.

If you're interested in the USB ones, check them out here http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/usb+turntable/xx-criteria.html

Edited by bud77

I have transferred some vinyl to cd but found it to be more hassle than it was worth and the process degrades the original sound by compressing it . If there is an album you really want on digital format , you will probably be able to buy the cd for a couple of quid. If you want the best digital format then buy a streamer. . https://www.google.co.uk/#q=digital+streamers&tbm=shop

Album covers , l have a lot of them that I really like e.g Tom Waits- Mule Variations , The Specials , Elvis Costello -Armed Forces (original cover ) and Quadrophenia -the WHO. .

Has anyone successfully transferred vinyl to a high quality digital format? If so I'd be interested in your experiences.

I have a ton of vinyl safely stored that has probably not been in use for over a decade (damn pesky kids arrived!).

I'm keen to transfer these to digital, but I appreciate it will be time consuming and I don't want to waste time and money on a poor solution.

http://vinyl-converter-turntable-review.toptenreviews.com/

I miss the artwork and sleeve details that you would enjoy with vinyl. CD's and MP3, FLAC, etc have been great technical advances - but they have altered the dynamics of music listening.

Possibly my favourite album for it's album design and cover sleeve has to be Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti.

I don't think I will ever part with that one. I have a couple of LP picture frames that I need to dig out and get on the wall.

I'm tempted to digitize the LP's and then take some of the best art work and put it around the house.Wonder if the wife will let me put up Roxy Music "Country Life"?

Anyone else got some favourite covers?

Will let you know Slash as my wee sister is buying a turntable for the bro in law that plays vinyl and converts to mp3, I'm hoping to borrow it as I have a stash of 7" vinyl from the late 70's & 80's

Has anyone successfully transferred vinyl to a high quality digital format? If so I'd be interested in your experiences.

I have a ton of vinyl safely stored that has probably not been in use for over a decade (damn pesky kids arrived!).

I'm keen to transfer these to digital, but I appreciate it will be time consuming and I don't want to waste time and money on a poor solution.

I miss the artwork and sleeve details that you would enjoy with vinyl. CD's and MP3, FLAC, etc have been great technical advances - but they have altered the dynamics of music listening.

Possibly my favourite album for it's album design and cover sleeve has to be Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti.

I don't think I will ever part with that one. I have a couple of LP picture frames that I need to dig out and get on the wall.

I'm tempted to digitize the LP's and then take some of the best art work and put it around the house.Wonder if the wife will let me put up Roxy Music "Country Life"?

Some of the Yes Album Covers are cool....

Don't know how good it is but my local Tesco Superstore is selling a turntable with a USB connection for direct recording onto your hard drive. Can't remember the exact price but about £40 / £50.

I stupidly in a moment of complete madness gave my entire vinyl collection to a charity table to raise funds for medical equipment. Some fantastic and very rare stuff in there including Genesis 1st album. In 2009 one was sold for nearly £800 at auction. Probably got £1 for it at the charity table. Never mind :)

I got an Ion Audio USB turntable about 4 years ago with the intention to convert all the vinyl that I hadn't got on cd to MP3 or FLAC. After 3 years I had successfully converted side one of Trick of the Tail. Three years ago I got a cassette to MP3 converter and to date I have converted one side of a Hancock's Half Hour. It takes hours to get the quality right.

So, last year I bought a CD Ripper / Streamer, ripped all my CD's then sold them, downloaded as much of my vinyl as I could from the interweb (mostly purchased from sites like Soundike and the sadly missed Legal Sounds), connected it to my home network to stream the music I have on my PC and it all sits nicely in the lounge in a little black box with a network drive beside it for backup. The wife is happy that there's no CD's or Albums cluttering up the lounge and it's so much quicker and easier.

A USB turntable works in real time, so 45 minutes to an hour to convert an album - CD Ripper takes 2 - 4 minutes, depending on the quality you choose. Mind you, I'm not selling my vinyl at any price and I still have turntable with a pre-amp connected to speakers in the home office when I get the need to hear the sound of the 60's they way it's meant to be heard. Hippies rejoice!!!!!!

There are tons of converters out there, and you don't need to use a compression programme if you don't want to (beware, mp3 isn't a pure compression programme, rather it chops off the highs and lows so the end file represents something considerably smaller than the source file) but you could rip direct to a lossless format, FLAC for example, provided you can play it back. The downside is that you can only rip from vinyl in real time. I've done it a fair amount and it's quite good fun pretending to be a sound engineer, messing with the levels etc, but it is very time consuming and ultimately I just got bored. Those ripped albums do sound great, though I prefer just listening through the deck. After al,l you're not wasting time converting from digital to analogue. I have a vintage, but rewired, Rega RP3 deck (they pop up on ebay from time to time) with a decent cartridge and play through an integrated amp with a good phono stage (Leema Pulse) and some custom speakers - albums sound so much better than they did on the ropey kit I had when I was younger and consequently the vast bulk of my listening is from vinyl.

There are tons of converters out there, and you don't need to use a compression programme if you don't want to (beware, mp3 isn't a pure compression programme, rather it chops off the highs and lows so the end file represents something considerably smaller than the source file) but you could rip direct to a lossless format, FLAC for example, provided you can play it back. The downside is that you can only rip from vinyl in real time. I've done it a fair amount and it's quite good fun pretending to be a sound engineer, messing with the levels etc, but it is very time consuming and ultimately I just got bored. Those ripped albums do sound great, though I prefer just listening through the deck. After al,l you're not wasting time converting from digital to analogue. I have a vintage, but rewired, Rega RP3 deck (they pop up on ebay from time to time) with a decent cartridge and play through an integrated amp with a good phono stage (Leema Pulse) and some custom speakers - albums sound so much better than they did on the ropey kit I had when I was younger and consequently the vast bulk of my listening is from vinyl.

Exactly , asked myself why l was going to the bother of converting analogue to digital . Now a good Streamer can give you the kind of sound quality that you would expect from a turntable. .

All the Rega turntables are great value for money and are very easy to upgrade . For instance if you put the RB250 arm (the one they fit to the Plannar2) on the RP3 deck it makes a big improvement . There are also some great cartridges out there for these turntables. Of course , you can even upgrade the cables on your phono stage . All great vfm. .

Ouch. That's a story I've heard a few times. Another horrific scene I witnessed at a party in the 80s was people throwing LPs like frisbees.

Well it was horrific until I realised they were RUSH albums. Then I joined in!

Only joking.

They had already trashed the RUSH albums.

Any self-respecting frisbee would be outraged by this.

I bought one of those USB turntables and linked it up to the Mac. Transferred individual album tracks and got rid of pops, clicks and scratches using a programme called 'Audacity'.

Fcuking pain in the arse. I gave up after a labour-intensive effort on Deep Purple's 'In Rock' album, before going onto Amazon and buying the Deep Purple back catalogue remastered CDs over a period of time.

Still keeping hold of my vinyl though. Most notably my Canadian import red vinyl copy of 'Hemispheres' autographed by all three members of Rush at the Albany hotel in 1978.

Cue Dumbarton-based sneering retort.... Boooo boyyyy!

I bought one of those USB turntables and linked it up to the Mac. Transferred individual album tracks and got rid of pops, clicks and scratches using a programme called 'Audacity'.

Fcuking pain in the arse. I gave up after a labour-intensive effort on Deep Purple's 'In Rock' album, before going onto Amazon and buying the Deep Purple back catalogue remastered CDs over a period of time.

Still keeping hold of my vinyl though. Most notably my Canadian import red vinyl copy of 'Hemispheres' autographed by all three members of Rush at the Albany hotel in 1978.

Cue Dumbarton-based sneering retort.... Boooo boyyyy!

shutup.gif

Moving swiftly on....

I'm not hugely familiar with all the audiophile stuff, but I always thought that the purist would want to actually play their vinyl on a turntable where possible as the quality/fidelity is truer to the original producation than when digitally reproduced.

I appreciate the convenience of having your music converted to MP3 etc., but isn't it easier to just source existing digital format and buy a turntable for home use?

The thought of converting dozens of LPs to MP3 format is an utter heart-sink. Not a problem for me, however, as my entire LP collection was nicked from a bedsit I lived in back in the early 90ssad.png

shutup.gif

Moving swiftly on....

I'm not hugely familiar with all the audiophile stuff, but I always thought that the purist would want to actually play their vinyl on a turntable where possible as the quality/fidelity is truer to the original producation than when digitally reproduced.

I appreciate the convenience of having your music converted to MP3 etc., but isn't it easier to just source existing digital format and buy a turntable for home use?

The thought of converting dozens of LPs to MP3 format is an utter heart-sink. Not a problem for me, however, as my entire LP collection was nicked from a bedsit I lived in back in the early 90ssad.png

Wanna buy some old shit albums? whistling.gif