Centre Half Please!

I know that DL & BOD are trying to bring in one or players before the window shuts but surely when they let Lee Mair go would it not have been sensible to already have a replacement signed before we let him go?? I for one liked Mair and thought he should be in our first team but it is done now he's off and we move on but were DL & BOD that desperate to get rid of him they did not realise in would leave us short in that position or did not care it was an opportunity to move him on?

I now hear that DL is saying that we won't panic by bringing people in unless they enhance the squad. I totally agree with that statement but what if one of our centre halves get injured we only have two recognised centre halves?

Move Goodwin back into centre half? For me it never worked the last time.

Play Naismith at centre half?

Why move him while he is playing well but a possibility.

We are entering a crucial run in to the end of the season to preserve our top flight status and to go with only two recognised centre halves would be a gamble for such an important area of the team.

We seem to be linked with players that play every position but centre half which for me is unbelievable.

So DL & BOD can you please work together to find a player thats natural position is where we most need it and find us a centre half?????

Edited by Dave The Buddie

I know that DL & BOD are trying to bring in one or players before the window shuts but surely when they let Lee Mair go would it not have been sensible to already have a replacement signed before we let him go?? I for one liked Mair and thought he should be in our first team but it is done now he's off and we move on but were DL & BOD that desperate to get rid of him they did not realise in would leave us short in that position or did not care it was an opportunity to move him on? I now hear that DL is saying that we won't panic by bringing people in unless they enhance the squad. I totally agree with that statement but what if one of our centre halves get injured we only have two recognised centre halves? Move Goodwin back into centre half? For me it never worked the last time. Play Naismith at centre half? Why move him while he is playing well but a possibility. We are entering a crucial run in to the end of the season to preserve our top flight status and to go with only two recognised centre halves would be a gamble for such an important area of the team. We seem to be linked with players that play every position but centre half which for me is unbelievable. So DL & BOD can you please work together to find a player thats natural position is where we most need it and find us a centre half?????

We have Naismith who is a centre back.We have Kelly who can play centre back.We have Williams who can play centre or right back.All recognised central defenders who have played there countless times.Together with Vanzy and Grainger I think we are well covered in this area.Goalscorers on the other hand we are lacking in my mind and if heaven forbid anything happens to Thommo we are fecked.

We have Naismith who is a centre back.We have Kelly who can play centre back.We have Williams who can play centre or right back.All recognised central defenders who have played there countless times.Together with Vanzy and Grainger I think we are well covered in this area.Goalscorers on the other hand we are lacking in my mind and if heaven forbid anything happens to Thommo we are fecked.

So you would play Williams who has never played a first team game in and Kelly at centre half. Am glad your not picking the team.

As for strikers we currently have 4 so we are well covered. Thommo, Campbell, Bahkonen & Reilly

Surely we should be adding players to the position we have in terms of numbers before strengthening other areas where we have enough

I know that DL & BOD are trying to bring in one or players before the window shuts but surely when they let Lee Mair go would it not have been sensible to already have a replacement signed before we let him go?? I for one liked Mair and thought he should be in our first team but it is done now he's off and we move on but were DL & BOD that desperate to get rid of him they did not realise in would leave us short in that position or did not care it was an opportunity to move him on? I now hear that DL is saying that we won't panic by bringing people in unless they enhance the squad. I totally agree with that statement but what if one of our centre halves get injured we only have two recognised centre halves? Move Goodwin back into centre half? For me it never worked the last time. Play Naismith at centre half? Why move him while he is playing well but a possibility. We are entering a crucial run in to the end of the season to preserve our top flight status and to go with only two recognised centre halves would be a gamble for such an important area of the team. We seem to be linked with players that play every position but centre half which for me is unbelievable. So DL & BOD can you please work together to find a player thats natural position is where we most need it and find us a centre half?????

Is that not what happened when they brought in Harkins and McGowan was expected to move on. Correct me if I wrong.

Is that not what happened when they brought in Harkins and McGowan was expected to move on. Correct me if I wrong.

I would rather have that happen then not having any. Nobody could have predicted that McGowan would not move on and not get injured and I for one did not expect us not to get the best out of Harkins

Edited by Dave The Buddie

Largely agree with that. Centre half has been a problem position for some time yet its hasnt been properly addressed. It also baffles me why a player, who is just not up to it at this level, is first choice for the position.

We badly need a no nonsense, no frills, solid centre half in this transfer window. In the absence of that I would maybe go with Naismith in the position.

Largely agree with that. Centre half has been a problem position for some time yet its hasnt been properly addressed. It also baffles me why a player, who is just not up to it at this level, is first choice for the position.

We badly need a no nonsense, no frills, solid centre half in this transfer window. In the absence of that I would maybe go with Naismith in the position.

I would like to see Naismith moved into centre half next season as I think we will be in the playoff fight right till the end and I would prefer experience over youth in that situation. I would like to get an experienced centre half in until the end of the season either on loan or a free to help if needed.

Even if we have to go to the top end of our wage budget I think a good experienced centre half, as well as providing stability this season, would actually be a great investment. We currently have 2 terrific young prospects having made starting roles their own in the defence and McAusland is only 25 too.

I still recall the arrival of Roy Aitken and I hadn't really appreciated how good a player he was through OF dislike. The improvement in a previously shaky Norrie McWhirter playing beside such experience for a season was brilliant and I think our young defenders would benefit hugely from similar.

Youngsters developing further for our side or more impressive still that they attract future £££s. A decent centre half would be worth spending what we can now.

Aye, you would run out of pampers/posts. :whistle

Aye the old pampers patter. Our squad has been thinned out so much that it's beyond a joke. We don't have enough players to fill the bench FFS.

What was our solution? Let another player leave and sign for the opposition the week before we play them. If it wisnae so infuriating it would be funny.

Aye the old pampers patter. Our squad has been thinned out so much that it's beyond a joke. We don't have enough players to fill the bench FFS.

What was our solution? Let another player leave and sign for the opposition the week before we play them. If it wisnae so infuriating it would be funny.

You're also on the "danger, could explode soon" list. lol.gif

Change the record, we KNOW the situation. bye1.gif

I would rather have that happen then not having any. Nobody could have predicted that McGowan would not move on and not get injured and I for one did not expect us not to get the best out of Harkins

Ye, but it turned out to be a luxury we couldn't afford.

So you would play Williams who has never played a first team game in and Kelly at centre half. Am glad your not picking the team.

As for strikers we currently have 4 so we are well covered. Thommo, Campbell, Bahkonen & Reilly

Surely we should be adding players to the position we have in terms of numbers before strengthening other areas where we have enough

Can we really class Reilly as a back up striker? If Thommo gets injured and anyone thinks Reilly could step in and do a job, then sorry you've lost the plot.

I still recall the arrival of Roy Aitken and I hadn't really appreciated how good a player he was through OF dislike. The improvement in a previously shaky Norrie McWhirter playing beside such experience for a season was brilliant and I think our young defenders would benefit hugely from similar.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that Norrie played much that season. Was out injured for much of it.

We also got relegated that season, Aitken managed to get sent off 3 times, we conceded a barrowload of goals and the transfer fee and wages that Aitken and others cost us led to over a decade of financial poverty in the lower divisions and we eventually had to sell Love Street.

Hopefully we don't make a similar signing this time! :lol:

Can we really class Reilly as a back up striker? If Thommo gets injured and anyone thinks Reilly could step in and do a job, then sorry you've lost the plot.

All Reilly is good for is running about the pitch at half time like a 5 year old and falling over every 10 seconds. Waste of time him being here, never going to make it at this level.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that Norrie played much that season. Was out injured for much of it.

We also got relegated that season, Aitken managed to get sent off 3 times, we conceded a barrowload of goals and the transfer fee and wages that Aitken and others cost us led to over a decade of financial poverty in the lower divisions and we eventually had to sell Love Street.

Hopefully we don't make a similar signing this time! lol.gif:

Is every post you make a negative one? biggrin.png Maybe one drudge of year after year supporting Saints blends into another. I recall them being paired many times and I also remember Aitken playing his arse off for us (not like me to defend an OF player but he did and definately won me over), Relegation wasnt due to him but several other highly paid duds and poor management.

Edited by WirralSaint

I would like to see Naismith moved into centre half next season as I think we will be in the playoff fight right till the end and I would prefer experience over youth in that situation. I would like to get an experienced centre half in until the end of the season either on loan or a free to help if needed.

Surely we should be adding players to the position we have in terms of numbers before strengthening other areas where we h

I do believe it was cover we were talking about and as i have watched the under 20,s on numerous occasions i feel i might be a little more qualified as to the centre half qualities of Naismith Kelly and Williams.I would have no fear of playing any of them in there BESIDE the experience of McAusland or McGregor should the occasion arise.

Edited by northendsaint

We have Naismith who is doing very well at right back and as such should be left in that position.

We have Sean Kelly who is a slight slip of a boy who is doing well at left back and should be left in that position.

Daniel Grainger is a left back who cannot even get a game in that position and should not be considered at centre half.

David Van Zanten is a right back who cannot get a game in that position and should not be considered at centre half.

I concur that our glorious squad needs another centre half and I will be very disappointed (although not surprised) if one is not employed by our honourable and just club prior to the slamming of the shutness of the window of the transferness.

It's not just cover but to provide competition for places in the squad. I take your point on these players could play at centre half as I have not seen them play that position as cover but I would rather test them in the cup or if we had the luxury of of being mid table with little chance of being in the playoffs then great. Right now we are in a real fight with 3 other teams to avoid the playoffs and if Cheesey or Darren were to get injured or suspended then it would be asking a hell of a lot of youngsters to come in and perform consistently in such an important position.

I also believe it is our weakest position in our team and should be a priority. We don't do many clean sheets and even thought they are not totally to blame for that am sure our chances of achieving more clean sheets would improve if we strengthened that area creating competition and adding quality