New Contract For Lennon - Got To Be 2 Years

Look at St Johnstone, their manager is in his first ever season and they lost key players in the summer. We have a similar budget. They've finished top 6, reached one semi final and one final. There's absolutely no reason why we couldn't have had a similar season, I don't think their squad is any stronger than ours.

I feel as though I'm defending Lennon here which I never have thought would be the case.

Lex, I don't think you can quote budget figure press to support any argument as I don't believe you have the knowledge of those to make a comparison.

As far as St Johnstone's squad goes. I feel they have far more strength right through the spine of their team than we have and, in Stevie May, have a player with whom they've hit the jackpot.

Given where we were the moment Motherwell took a 2-0 lead at our place, the recent turn around has been frankly magnificent.

Given where we were at 3.45pm on 12th May 2007 when Motherwell took a 2-0 halftime lead I'd say the last 7 years have been a f**king bonus! Feel free to add the League Cup on there as the cherry on top.

Given where we were at 3.45pm on 12th May 2007 when Motherwell took a 2-0 halftime lead I'd say the last 7 years have been a f**king bonus! Feel free to add the League Cup on there as the cherry on top.

Given where my head was when I trooped out of Hampden at the end of the 2010 League Cup Final.....

The 2013 League Cup win was, well, exceedingly cathartic!

And leaving Lennon in charge of a rebuilding job this summer frankly scares the shite out of me. As for who should replace him, how should we know?

It's not that difficult. You look at who's affordable and out of work / doing well at a smaller club.

Billy Reid, Jimmy Calderwood, Peter Houston, Ian Murray.........

I appreciate people saying that appointing a new manager a risk. However, keeping Danny is a risk too.

Who's to say he won't make a similar mess in the transfer market this summer as he did last summer? If we have no wins in our opening six games and Danny's summer signings are failing by the end of August again, we're going to regret giving him a 2 year deal pretty quickly.

People also say ' we could finish 7th '. Well yeah, but we could finish 10th too.

For me progress this season was either making a concerted challenge for the top 6, which we failed in. Or more cup success, which we failed in. Granted we have survived, but survival alone wasn't enough this year.

Look at St Johnstone, their manager is in his first ever season and they lost key players in the summer. We have a similar budget. They've finished top 6, reached one semi final and one final. There's absolutely no reason why we couldn't have had a similar season, I don't think their squad is any stronger than ours.

St johnstones budget is bigger than ours. Stupid comment

St johnstones budget is bigger than ours. Stupid comment

Have they? Source? If it is bigger, it's certainly not much bigger, and I did say 'similar'.

Personally I feel we have a better squad than they do, and as our captain Jim Goodwin admitted midweek, we have underachieved this season.

I believe the primary reasons for the self confessed underachievement has been poor squad management and poor game management from the manager.

As such, he should not get a new deal.

Have they? Source? If it is bigger, it's certainly not much bigger, and I did say 'similar'.

Personally I feel we have a better squad than they do, and as our captain Jim Goodwin admitted midweek, we have underachieved this season.

I believe the primary reasons for the self confessed underachievement has been poor squad management and poor game management from the manager.

They turnover around a million quid a year more than us so I'd reckon it was bigger than ours.

Eta - Last report I remember seeing their wage bill was about £0.5m greater than ours.

Edited by davidg

They turnover around a million quid a year more than us so I'd reckon it was bigger than ours.

Eta - Last report I remember seeing their wage bill was about £0.5m greater than ours.

They have a lot bigger hospitality operation than we do, so I imagine that figure counts the non playing staff. I don't think I'm being facetious when I say teams like ICT and St Johnstone have similar playing budgets to us.

Both of them have finished top 6, both of them have made a major final. We have not made the top 6 and we have not even made a quarter final.

Lennon must go.

Cant understand why turnover is so much more with gates about 800 a match LESS than us David . Is their marketing so much better for match days ? do they make more use of the stadium outwith matches ?

Their stadium is close to Perth's crematorium, I believe they do a roaring trade in funeral teas - non-football activities account for nearly 50% of turnover IIRC.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Cant understand why turnover is so much more with gates about 800 a match LESS than us David . Is their marketing so much better for match days ? do they make more use of the stadium outwith matches ?

Must be the day to day use if the stadium?

There far less competition up there for such a facility than we have being on the doorstep of Glasgow?

Also, they've finished above us every year since they come up and top 6 for the 3rd consecutive season. This would be worth a fair chunk of the difference.

Must be the day to day use if the stadium?

There far less competition up there for such a facility than we have being on the doorstep of Glasgow?

Also, they've finished above us every year since they come up and top 6 for the 3rd consecutive season. This would be worth a fair chunk of the difference.

Fair point i s`pose.

Look at St Johnstone's squad. Who are their top earners?

Guys like Mackay, Wright, May, Davidson, McLean... Hasselbaink? They're hardly big names are they?

There's no way their playing budget is significantly bigger than ours.

I think we have some of the best players in the team at present , than we have seen for a while which is reflected in the Cup victory last year . However , things like our dismal league performance around the Cup and this season long dismal losing runs , make you wonder what is occurring . .

Whilst a Cup victory is phenomenal (I'm still watching the game from time to time just to remind me it did happen) , league duties are also important . For example , Mort*n won a major trophy at the start of the season and now look where they are , facing relegation after another crush defeat. .

Teams like the Fakes and ICT basic skills , do have similar budgets to us and surely Mothercare don't have all that much more than us ? However , they are all in the top 6. I don't expect Saints to win every week but as long as I can remember awful inconsistency has been our weakness . .

From what I have seen , I'm not convinced that Danny has been the major factor in our change in fortunes either . .

Fortunately it is not my decision to make and I suspect that the decision to get a new manager may already have been made . .

Look at St Johnstone's squad. Who are their top earners?

Guys like Mackay, Wright, May, Davidson, McLean... Hasselbaink? They're hardly big names are they?

There's no way their playing budget is significantly bigger than ours.

Same Nigel who left for what reason?

Oh, yeh. More money, that was it.

Not read through the whole thread, but ibwouldnt be upset if he stayed. Ok he had a nightmare with signings etc but he's also gave us some cracking memories and positives like youngsters regularly featuring etc as has already been mentioned. No doubt somewhere in the thread the usual only safe cause x and y are Pish/in administration/not in the league - delete as appropriate. I'm not buying that. Cuccess can only be measured with your performance compared to your immediate rivals. Are we in a better place than our immediate rivals? I'd say so, if he gets the stick when things are rotten, then he has to get credit when things are going well.

According to recent PWC reports St Johnstone and Inverness both exceeded our turnover in years 2011 & 2012.

St Johnstone in both years made more than £1,000,000 than our club.

You can see from this report that St Johnstone wages is higher than Saints in both those seasons.

In 2011 St Johnstone spent £500,000 more in wages than us. As for Inverness feck knows how they manage to get the results they do as there wage bill is far lower, although one of the seasons was when they were in the 1st Div.

attachicon.gifWages.jpg

Boom!

You've got to love a nice table full of numbers to close out an argument!

It's not that difficult. You look at who's affordable and out of work / doing well at a smaller club.

Billy Reid, Jimmy Calderwood, Peter Houston, Ian Murray.........

Yeah ok, let's hope Danny gets a new contract, if that's the kind of replacements being mentioned.

Billy Reid?? Jimmy Calderwood?? Jeez!!!

That's the problem with you lex, your opinions are based on f**k all. Then as soon as you're proven wrong you disappear.

You're a goose mate, you're worried more about "being right" than the future of our club. Drop the pish admit you were wrong and let's get DL a new contract.

When's the last time st mirren had so many exciting young players coming through? It's a not a coincidence, our management team is actively planning for the future.

You've been spouting the same old pish for coming onto 3 years, enoughs enough

Once we finish 7th that'll be the third record breaking season in a row.

Suck my bum hole

Same Nigel who left for what reason?

Oh, yeh. More money, that was it.

Yeah, Nigel wanted more than what we were willing to offer him. Not more than what we could afford to offer him. He wanted to be on the same wage as guys like Thommo, and he was ( rightly ) laughed out of court.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hearts/204137-comparing-the-wage-bills-in-the-scottish-premier-league-for-season-201011/

If you go a season further back than Slash then we have a significantly higher wage budget than the Fakes, it's clear that there is a wide fluctuation in the years quoted so far 2010-2012. If you look at the latest season for which figures have been produced 2011/12 the difference between us and the Fakes is £44k or less than 2% . One season where we outspent the Fakes, one season where they outspent us and one where the figures are fairly similar.

Then if you look at Kilmarnock's figures it's obvious that the figures are for overall turnover and wages and not just those relating to football activities so they reveal less than they seem to at first sight.

Really hilarious to see Mr. Towel accusing others of doing vanishing acts. lol.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

According to recent PWC reports St Johnstone and Inverness both exceeded our turnover in years 2011 & 2012.

St Johnstone in both years made more than £1,000,000 than our club.

You can see from this report that St Johnstone wages is higher than Saints in both those seasons.

In 2011 St Johnstone spent £500,000 more in wages than us. As for Inverness feck knows how they manage to get the results they do as there wage bill is far lower, although one of the seasons was when they were in the 1st Div.

attachicon.gifWages.jpg

Similar playing budgets like i said then? Thanks for confirming that for me.

Why are they performing much better than we are? What are they doing that we're not?

Yeah ok, let's hope Danny gets a new contract, if that's the kind of replacements being mentioned.

Billy Reid?? Jimmy Calderwood?? Jeez!!!

I've not seen one person mention either of them as replacements.

Lest we forget, less than 6 weeks ago this sites twitter handle ran a poll amongst fans on whether Danny Lennon should be sacked immediately, or not. Over 80% of those who responded wanted him sacked that night, IIRC the webmaster of this site was on national media asking for him to go. For a bit of context, i was one of the 20% who voted for him to stay in that poll.

Since the end of January i've been fully behind Danny, as i do not believe post January sackings work, and my posts on here reflect that.

However, it does not detract from the fact that this is Danny's 4th season in charge, and our own captain is admitting we are underachieving. We should not be (again, i'll use our captains term) 'underachieving' when a manager is in his 4th season in charge. He's had enough time, underachievement isn't acceptable anymore, and we are self-confessed underachievers this term. How many more seasons of underachievement are we willing to give him? Another 4?

Time's up. Danny should leave with a healthy CV and he will get a job elsewhere. It's time for us to look to kick on and actually challenge for the top 6. Danny's had 4 seasons, and in that time not only has he failed to get us in the top half once, we haven't even been in contention for it once. He's proven he is incapable of managing us so we perform at a consistent level for a whole season. We have some good spells ( we're in one at the moment ), but we have long barren spells, and goodness me, there's been plenty of them.

Really hilarious to see Mr. Towel accusing others of doing vanishing acts. lol.gif

He's an alias, surely? I never dignified his bizarre rant with a response as i thought it was someone trying (badly) to be funny. He wasn't being serious.... was he?

bangin.gif