John Mcginn Club Statement

Players aren't assets to the business. They have no value on the balance sheet. Selling McGinn for about £300k would however turn the club's current losses to a break even or small profit which would make it more attractive.

The recent annual losses are due to a depreciation in the value of the ground thus leading to a depreciation in our overall assets, but as we aren't going to sell our stadium it's not really relevant. Our cash trading over the last few years has been broadly break even - usually a small profit.

Players aren't assets to the business. They have no value on the balance sheet. Selling McGinn for about £300k would however turn the club's current losses to a break even or small profit which would make it more attractive.

The current losses are paper losses. They occur from the depreciation of the stadium value.

The recent annual losses are due to a depreciation in the value of the ground thus leading to a depreciation in our overall assets, but as we aren't going to sell our stadium it's not really relevant. Our cash trading over the last few years has been broadly break even - usually a small profit.

Beat me to it! :lol:

They are evidence of a successful youth development system, and that is an asset of far higher value. Selling McGinn would be a tangible demonstration of this.

They are not viable assets in and of themselves, and are therefore of limited vlaue to any potential owner.

PS - I know many people who have completed psychology, law or history degrees. This does not make them psychologists, lawyers, or historians.

But, in the words of Morrissey, what difference does it make?

The new owners won't be buying the club in order to make capital gains on the value of the shares or to make huge dividends for themselves and I can't see them paying extra for the shares because the club has £300k extra in the bank!

They are still losses and as stated by the chairman and auditor at the agm, they can't continue.

Yes, they can continue and they will continue!

Someone with more expertise will be able to answer this but I'm sure that by declaring losses, even if only paper losses, the club can avoid paying tax...

And was the auditor at the agm? I've never heard that before! Did the auditor buy some shares justto attend the agm?

Edited by Isabella Duke

But, in the words of Morrissey, what difference does it make?

The new owners won't be buying the club in order to make capital gains on the value of the shares or to make huge dividends for themselves and I can't see them paying extra for the shares because the club has £300k extra in the bank!

I am not the one referring to assets or dividends. The point I was making is that the current incombents might have more of an interest in selling a player who is worth a few bob before they depart, than in not doing so.

The counter argument that was put to me was that they wouldn't sell one of their more valuable assets as this would, in turn, devalue the club in the eyes of any potential purchaser. I'm....well....not buying that (to coin a phrase).

Yes, they can continue and they will continue!

Someone with more expertise will be able to answer this but I'm sure that by declaring losses, even if only paper losses, the club can avoid paying tax...

And was the auditor at the agm? I've never heard that before! Did the auditor buy some shares justto attend the agm?

He's there every year and answers questions on the accounts.

Just imagine we were in the shape of most other SPL clubs (or deceased clubs), we'd have to accept something ridiculous like that.

Thankfully, the ball is in our court these days; The only drawback is the length of time left on his contract.

John McGinn is one of the most talented players I've watched live and he is worth a lot more than £100k.

we would get double that figure, maybe 3x if he left to go down south at the end of his contract

As your so reliably informed, what's the delay.

Raising

As your so reliably informed, what's the delay.

Raising cash is always the problem especially when you can't walk into a bank ( today ) and ask for 1.5 million loan to purchase a football club so the money has to be found from other sources. That brings it's own problems also because the loan would have to be paid back quicker. Next where do you think the money will come from to pay back the loan ? Correct club income anyone who thinks new owners will fund this out of their own pocket is NUTS

RaisingRaising cash is always the problem especially when you can't walk into a bank ( today ) and ask for 1.5 million loan to purchase a football club so the money has to be found from other sources. That brings it's own problems also because the loan would have to be paid back quicker. Next where do you think the money will come from to pay back the loan ? Correct club income anyone who thinks new owners will fund this out of their own pocket is NUTS

So what your saying (and not northendsaint who has reliable information) is that the possible interested party will not be any better of financially than what we have at the moment. Suicide.

I am not the one referring to assets or dividends. The point I was making is that the current incombents might have more of an interest in selling a player who is worth a few bob before they depart, than in not doing so.

The counter argument that was put to me was that they wouldn't sell one of their more valuable assets as this would, in turn, devalue the club in the eyes of any potential purchaser. I'm....well....not buying that (to coin a phrase).

McGinn's value to the club, on the balance sheet, is virtually nil. He cost nothing, so doesn't have a registration cost being depreciated on the balance sheet. If we sell McGinn, it would have no effect on the balance sheet of the club.

Players' values are not on the balance sheet, as they are wildly subjective. The value of a player is what another team will pay coupled with what we are prepared to accept. It is therefore very difficult to put a price on, unlike other assets such as property, fixtures and fittings etc, which will be valued on the balance sheet according to their cost less depreciation.

Looking at last year's accounts, there are now no intangible assets, as there are no player registrations held for which we paid money for.

Considering we turned down 500k for Kenny McLean, that offer for McGinn is an insulting attempt at theft!

As for the stadium depreciation... if it HAS to be taken into account, can you tell me when it is due to be replaced?

What the stadium whistling.gif

meant to say, not in my life time

Edited by pod

Considering we turned down 500k for Kenny McLean, that offer for McGinn is an insulting attempt at theft!

As for the stadium depreciation... if it HAS to be taken into account, can you tell me when it is due to be replaced?

Stadium is depreciated at 2%, with capital allowances of the same being applied. Useful life of 50 years. It's not to do with when it is due to be replaced, but what it's useful economic life is thought to be...

wink.png

Edited by Soctty

McGinn's value to the club, on the balance sheet, is virtually nil. He cost nothing, so doesn't have a registration cost being depreciated on the balance sheet. If we sell McGinn, it would have no effect on the balance sheet of the club.

Players' values are not on the balance sheet, as they are wildly subjective. The value of a player is what another team will pay coupled with what we are prepared to accept. It is therefore very difficult to put a price on, unlike other assets such as property, fixtures and fittings etc, which will be valued on the balance sheet according to their cost less depreciation.

Looking at last year's accounts, there are now no intangible assets, as there are no player registrations held for which we paid money for.

Correct.

This is the point I have been trying to make (probably in a less than sophisticated manner).

Edited by Drew

So what your saying (and not northendsaint who has reliable information) is that the possible interested party will not be any better of financially than what we have at the moment. Suicide.

No what I am saying - from a club director - Lots of talk has been done for a (Loooong) time. No cash has been shown to the club.

The rest is my opinion

Therefore they are obviously trying to raise the cash which means a loan , correct ? Banks don't do football loans to purchase football clubs unless you sign over your assets which is not happening other wise they would have taken over a long time ago.

So how will they raise the cash , from other sources of course which will have to be paid back. That can only come from one place. Club income. High risk is all your balls are on selling youth players to raise club income. If you can sell on the talent.

At the end of the day a sugar daddy will never come along so this will be the way the club is sold. Personally I prefer where we are today with the board we have but they want out and we can't stop that.

Sorry for going off course.

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

RaisingRaising cash is always the problem especially when you can't walk into a bank ( today ) and ask for 1.5 million loan to purchase a football club so the money has to be found from other sources. That brings it's own problems also because the loan would have to be paid back quicker. Next where do you think the money will come from to pay back the loan ? Correct club income anyone who thinks new owners will fund this out of their own pocket is NUTS

Where is the loan coming from in the first place?

And you are saying that the new owners will syphon money out of the club to pay for their personal loan?

we would get double that figure, maybe 3x if he left to go down south at the end of his contract

Correct Chris... development fees alone would be £60k x years at the Club.

I believe John has been with us for 10 yrs now.