Childhood Games

HSS

Crab football was played with hands and feet on the deck at the same time and with yir bum towards the deck also. You kicked the ball with your feet as normal punk.gif

It was bloody knackering playing crab football. I reckon twenty minutes of that was more tiring than ninety minutes of stauny up running aboot fitba.

I'm from Glenburn and manhunt doesn't ring a bell. Maybe we knew it as something else. I hope there's no sexual connotation?

possibly just my group of friends, one guy had to run off and hide in the woods (opposite the tenements on glenburn road) everyone else would then hunt for him and if caught you get a good kicking from everyone else

possibly just my group of friends, one guy had to run off and hide in the woods (opposite the tenements on glenburn road) everyone else would then hunt for him and if caught you get a good kicking from everyone else

Is that not called hide and seek,except in Glenburn Road?

The same woods I played in. We did play that game but if there was somebody playing we didn't like too much, we'd tell him to hide then bugger off up the Braes and leave him. Kids can be so cruel. Are you old enough to remember the trains going along the railway line? The station was a private house in the 50's and into the 60's and the train used to stop at the station for a break. The sons of the folk who lived there had motor bikes and they used to hare along the platform and even through the woods. I'm talking about big road bikes, not wee putt-putt machines.

The same woods I played in. We did play that game but if there was somebody playing we didn't like too much, we'd tell him to hide then bugger off up the Braes and leave him. Kids can be so cruel. Are you old enough to remember the trains going along the railway line? The station was a private house in the 50's and into the 60's and the train used to stop at the station for a break. The sons of the folk who lived there had motor bikes and they used to hare along the platform and even through the woods. I'm talking about big road bikes, not wee putt-putt machines.

remember the trains going along and we used to put broken glass on the rails which was turned into powder when the train ran over it, also remember when the line was ripped up and all the wooden blocks that were used as packers for the sleepers were just thrown to the side, quickly collected by all and sundry for use as a substitute for coal, dont think canavan the coalman was too happy at that time

Red Rover , Red Rover send 'insert name here' right over amongst many others mentioned :)

Brought up in Lexwell Road (Foxbar) overlooking the golf course we also had the 'witches dens' in 'red rock canyon' then into the Bluebell woods for a rope swing was usually on the agenda.

Ps we never went knocking golf balls ;)

We called that Bookie but it was more a two team game. One team would run and the others would come after them. The runners had to give one of their people a bit of folded up paper and the chasers job was to find out who had it and get the bit of paper off them. It usually involved beating someone up, or torturing a few people in the process.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

I remember one man hunt. What about crosses? There was a goalkeeper and one player would cross the ball in to the striker who had to volley the ball in or head it in without the ball hitting the ground first to score. If your shot went wide or the keeper caught it, it was a goal for the keeper.

I remember one man hunt. What about crosses? There was a goalkeeper and one player would cross the ball in to the striker who had to volley the ball in or head it in without the ball hitting the ground first to score. If your shot went wide or the keeper caught it, it was a goal for the keeper.

7 and bye surely

Chippie in,