Ball Signs

Had a feeling this was going to be a wee bit of Ian Harte syndrome. Great to see the deal done. He sounds like he's the exact type of player we need. I have to say I was a bit sceptical about Tommy taking over full time, but I've been pleased with more or less everything he's done so far.

Our own home grown youth players will form the bulk of the team next season, padded out with some experienced professionals, with a few quality players brought in to add the finishing touches. One centre half required and the squad will be more or less complete in my opinion.

I also feel our youths are in a brilliant position within the squad under Tommy. They have the talent, so they will have plenty of opportunity to play, but we have enough experience that they won't have the pressure of being constantly relied upon. Guys like Kello, McAusland, Goodwin, Teale and Thompspn will be there to shoulder much of the responsibility and allow the youngsters to play and learn the game without pressure.

Think he might have written his own wikipedia page lol.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callum_Ball

Ball then scored the opening goal of the game against West Ham which was a great curling effort form the edge of the area after being played in by Nathan Tyson, this was the second former England goal keeper (Robert Green) he had scored against after scoring his first goal against David James.[15] Ball scored his 3rd goal for derby, which proved to be the winner against Coventry City, once again this proved to be a goal against an internationally capped goal keeper in Joe Murphy who at the time had been capped twice by the Republic of Ireland

Absolutely delighted.

This guy has played in the English Championship which is a very good level, and one which many players in Scotland can only dream about.

I'm sure Callum will have aspirations to get back to that level or higher in seasons to come.

The Ball as they say is firmly in his court. He has a great opportunity to take the SPFL Premiership by storm.

Let the Ball see the Net....

Stop it!

Step away from the Ball.

I am absolutely delighted with this. I'd have signed him at half time vs Blyth. His goals and all-round play will be a revelation in the SPFL, I'm utterly convinced of it.

If we can create chances for him, he will bag plenty of goals next season. And unlike the past few seasons which have seen poor Thommo largely labouring up front on his own, I think our strikers are going to be surrounded by pace and width this season. We've got actual, real-life options up front now - and as someone said above, they are all St Mirren players.

I'm excited.

Not posted for quite a while, it being the close season and most of my previous posts being reviled, even though they were unfailingly accurate.

I have already opined that as part of a very poor management team the last few seasons, I was unhappy that Craig was promoted. I will give him the benefit of the doubt in the meantime.Having gotten rid of quite a few sub standard players I had hoped to see some decent replacements. I dont consider re-signing players we already have as new signings incidentally.

Thankfully the trend of signing loan players does not seem to have materialised....yet.One thing I do despair of, however, is the notion some people have (Craig obviously among them)that players from the lower and non league system in England can come here and do well.Furthermore, even if they DID manage to succeed, they would be off like a shot back to their own country.

Sorry but I cant see how this new chap, who has at best played briefly in the English second division, and appears to be of Rubens-esque proportions, will succeed in the SPFL. Perhaps I will be wrong in my assumption, but the prospect of these new unproven and unheard of players does not excite this fan.

There are some really good players at the club presently (Kello, Thompson,McLean,Goodwin,Teale etc)I just hope the ship isnt going to be spoilt by a ha`pworth of tar.

Frog.

Not posted for quite a while, it being the close season and most of my previous posts being reviled, even though they were unfailingly accurate.I have already opined that as part of a very poor management team the last few seasons, I was unhappy that Craig was promoted. I will give him the benefit of the doubt in the meantime.Having gotten rid of quite a few sub standard players I had hoped to see some decent replacements. I dont consider re-signing players we already have as new signings incidentally.Thankfully the trend of signing loan players does not seem to have materialised....yet.One thing I do despair of, however, is the notion some people have (Craig obviously among them)that players from the lower and non league system in England can come here and do well.Furthermore, even if they DID manage to succeed, they would be off like a shot back to their own country.Sorry but I cant see how this new chap, who has at best played briefly in the English second division, and appears to be of Rubens-esque proportions, will succeed in the SPFL. Perhaps I will be wrong in my assumption, but the prospect of these new unproven and unheard of players does not excite this fan.There are some really good players at the club presently (Kello, Thompson,McLean,Goodwin,Teale etc)I just hope the ship isnt going to be spoilt by a ha`pworth of tar.Frog.

Was McKay at Inverness not brought from the lower divisions in England? Who's to say this boy can't do what he's done

Ball certainly looks like he will play a big part for us next season. Thompson should be available for the Motherwell game, but I expect he won't be fit enough to start and that Ball will.

Still think our captain will be first choice for the majority of the season. Expect that Ball will start a fair few in his stead though, especially if we have 3 games in a week. Doing that and even Ball replacing Hawk for the last 20/30 minutes of games will mean Thompson will be effective for longer at this level. It will be good for Callum too, he's a young player and he will learn a lot from Thommo and could be his long term replacement.

I think that may be our last permanent signing. Hoping at least 2 more coming in on loan from the EPL though.

Was McKay at Inverness not brought from the lower divisions in England? Who's to say this boy can't do what he's done

Gary Hooper also played in the lower leagues with Scunthorpe ,granted he had a spell in the championship after they won promotion. Last time I looked Ball was a Derby player who are certainly a decent Championship side.

Far rather take a chance with a guy of this pedigree rather than plucking the lower Scottish leagues ?

Edited by stevenston saint

Gary Hooper also played in the lower leagues with Scunthorpe ,granted he had a spell in the championship after they won promotion. Last time I looked Ball was a Derby player who are certainly a decent Championship side.

Far rather take a chance with a guy of this pedigree rather than plucking the lower Scottish leagues ?

Look, its just my own opinion, I`m not asking anyone to agree with me.Ive never heard of, or seen this player but I do know that "championship" is the second division both here and in England.

Celtic paid a lot of money for Hopper who was highly rated, not given a free or loaned out to minnows.

At least with lower league players here, they do not constantly have their eyes on moving back home.

Look, its just my own opinion, I`m not asking anyone to agree with me.Ive never heard of, or seen this player but I do know that "championship" is the second division both here and in England.

Celtic paid a lot of money for Hopper who was highly rated, not given a free or loaned out to minnows.

At least with lower league players here, they do not constantly have their eyes on moving back home.

FFS.

On the flip side, what if we signed someone from the lower Scottish divisions? McQuade or Wardlaw or Robertson? There'd be enough folk on here saying 'why the f**k can't we mine the lower English divisions - other teams do that well, there must be loads of talent plugging up the English Championship squads who can't get a game or a contract...'

Or why don't we sign some foreign guy that NONE of us have ever seen, such as Bahoken?

Being negative is the f**king easy option because if we have a great season you'll be jumping around with everyone else, but if we f**k up then you'll be on here claiming you were right all along. For me, it represents a bizarrely pessimistic outlook on life that must be a serious drain on your energy levels and on those around you. If there is anyone left around you, obviously.

Just f**king cheer up man.

This a cracking signing.

We've signed 3 young strikers with loads of potential this summer. Ball could well top the lot.

He may well turn out to be the new Michael Higdon!

Tommy Craig has played a blinder so far this summer. I have a feeling this this is going to be a fantastic season.

A Cracken signing, surely

I'm pretty sure that players from lower leagues in Scotland would jump at the chance of a move to England if the offer came up!

In these days of Bosman, you will never be able to hang on to any player who is successful. The fact that he's from England doesn't really make any difference.

Michael Higdon is an example of a big English striker who was released by a then Championship side, Crewe, who came up to Scotland and ended up playing with 3 Scottish sides, scoring a load of goals and even winning Player of the Year.

He eventually ended up in Holland!

Motherwell will have an advantage over us as they already have played some competitive games, but we need not fear them.

Agreed, we need not fear them.

However, Motherwell are a good side, are a step ahead in fitness and are playing at home.

St. Mirren also traditionally don't do well on opening day (unless the game is at Ibrox!)

Our season goes way beyond one game. I believe we are in for a very good season regardless of the result at Motherwell!