Centre Half Please

It's been 4 seasons we've been looking for 2 decent CH's it can't be that hard surely,not seen enough of the lad Plummer to comment however Cheesy is not an SPFL player that's obvious to see. If we go with him again this season we will get ripped apart.

You are better sticking to 'BUBBLING UNDER' as you clearly know hee haw about football.

I think a shade of realism is required about the standard of player we can expect to sign. We can't sign an experienced, 6'2", quick, strong, intelligent, ball playing centre half, because playing for St Mirren is neither attractive nor lucrative enough for us to snare that kind of player.

Luckily for us, all the other Premiership clubs are faced with the same problems and therefore end up signing the same calibre of player we do.

Our options at the back might not be brilliant, but there aren't many sides who are any better off. Celtic and Aberdeen are probably the only 2 who have much better strength in depth. There are individuals at other clubs I would take, like Scott Boyd from County and Soutar from Dundee United, but few pairings who are streaks ahead of us in terms of ability.

It's all to do with how the defence is organised by the manager and protected by the midfield.

I think a shade of realism is required about the standard of player we can expect to sign. We can't sign an experienced, 6'2", quick, strong, intelligent, ball playing centre half, because playing for St Mirren is neither attractive nor lucrative enough for us to snare that kind of player.

Luckily for us, all the other Premiership clubs are faced with the same problems and therefore end up signing the same calibre of player we do.

Our options at the back might not be brilliant, but there aren't many sides who are any better off. Celtic and Aberdeen are probably the only 2 who have much better strength in depth. There are individuals at other clubs I would take, like Scott Boyd from County and Soutar from Dundee United, but few pairings who are streaks ahead of us in terms of ability.

It's all to do with how the defence is organised by the manager and protected by the midfield.

If that's the case (it isn't)

Competition never hurt anyone and every player should be on their toes

Start of the season we shouldn't be shuffling the pack or rushing a player back from injury

What isn't the case?

That Plummer has been brought in to play alongside McAusland?

I think that pretty much IS the case.

As for competition, Naismith's natural position is central defence, Williams is a central defender who has been promoted to the first team squad and Tesselaar played central defence for Kilmarnock pretty much all of last season and this would Kelly back in at left back.

As I said in my post, I would view a new right back as more important to cover / prove competition for Naismith and to allow Naismith to play in his proper position of central defence.

We have plenty of players who can play central defence - but we don't have a single natural right back in the squad. We also don't have any defensive central midfielders with experience to provide cover / competition for Goodwin.

If we are going to strengthen the squad then I would say that these 2 positions are higher priority.

I suspect what you really mean is that you want McAusland replaced. I t would be better if you just came out and said it instead of hiding behind the "competition / shuffling pack" defence.

:P

I don't want Cheesy replaced I want the club to sign someone to help him. McGregor was no better than him last season and look what Rangers pay him?

I think we need someone to assist McCausland rather than replacing him!

We have needed central defenders for year's now and McGregor and Cheesy never worked as defensive partnership.

if you look at the player's we have had over the years Potter,Mair,Millen,Goodwin.

I think if we sign a good quality Central Defender it might just get us to the top 6?

What isn't the case?

That Plummer has been brought in to play alongside McAusland?

I think that pretty much IS the case.

As for competition, Naismith's natural position is central defence, Williams is a central defender who has been promoted to the first team squad and Tesselaar played central defence for Kilmarnock pretty much all of last season and this would Kelly back in at left back.

As I said in my post, I would view a new right back as more important to cover / prove competition for Naismith and to allow Naismith to play in his proper position of central defence.

We have plenty of players who can play central defence - but we don't have a single natural right back in the squad. We also don't have any defensive central midfielders with experience to provide cover / competition for Goodwin.

If we are going to strengthen the squad then I would say that these 2 positions are higher priority.

I suspect what you really mean is that you want McAusland replaced. I t would be better if you just came out and said it instead of hiding behind the "competition / shuffling pack" defence.

tongue.png

Nice try Andy ain't biting

If Naismith was decent in the air he would be straight in at centre half but at the moment he isn't and has been quite a find as an attacking full back

Kelly is the same

Tess i'm not sure due to his facial injury

Plummer height will be an issue unless sweeping up beside 2 tall players as they do aboard

Williams it's big step from U/20 to first team

Aye lets get rid our ONLY experienced natural centre half at the club

5 years and waiting

post_offline.pngMr Zo

Posted Yesterday, 10:13
I think Marc Macausland is nowhere near as bad as people make out. Just another scapegoat for the support to lambast at every opportunity.

If Marc was a brilliant defender he wouldn't be playing for St Mirren. He is however a good defender who gives his all for our club and I can see him having a very good season.

Reasonable point, but he is prone to elementary errors.

Any time I watched him last season, I squirmed in my seat waiting for the basic mistake. Sometimes he had a cracking good game, others he lost confidence, or concentration and made a howler.

If he was a really good CH then yes he may be off to pastures better paid, and yes there are others who are worse, but I would just like to see an experienced hand next to him for a couple of seasons who bring him along and knock the basic errors out of his game. Then we would get the benefit of these two seasons, then good luck to the lad on the higher platform.

Reasonable point, but he is prone to elementary errors.

Any time I watched him last season, I squirmed in my seat waiting for the basic mistake. Sometimes he had a cracking good game, others he lost confidence, or concentration and made a howler.

If he was a really good CH then yes he may be off to pastures better paid, and yes there are others who are worse, but I would just like to see an experienced hand next to him for a couple of seasons who bring him along and knock the basic errors out of his game. Then we would get the benefit of these two seasons, then good luck to the lad on the higher platform.

The way I see it he is nowhere near as bad as some folk make out but on the other hand isn't as good as others would have you believe.

He is a competent centre back for a club our size. If he didn't make any mistakes ever he wouldn't be playing at this level.

One criticism I have is he doesn't score enough from set pieces, along with other centre backs in the past, they haven't chipped in enough. I think he should be scoring 5 a season.

Nice try Andy ain't biting

If Naismith was decent in the air he would be straight in at centre half but at the moment he isn't and has been quite a find as an attacking full back

Kelly is the same

Tess i'm not sure due to his facial injury

Plummer height will be an issue unless sweeping up beside 2 tall players as they do aboard

Williams it's big step from U/20 to first team

Aye lets get rid our ONLY experienced natural centre half at the club

5 years and waiting

5 years and waiting for what?

McAusland, McGregor & Mair have been here for the past 4 years - all are natural central defenders.

If its 5 years since we had a central defender that you rated then fine - but come out and say it! Stop pussying around the issue!

We currently don't have a single natural right back in the squad. Its that position I think needs attention first!

McAusland, McGregor & Mair have been here for the past 4 years - all are natural central defenders.

If its 5 years since we had a central defender that you rated then fine - but come out and say it! Stop pussying around the issue!

We currently don't have a single natural right back in the squad. Its that position I think needs attention first!

A lot longer than 5 years

Innes and Cuthbert were decent though

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, if anyone had ANY doubts that we don't need a no nonsense CH then surely Saturday and immediately preceding games will have changed their minds.

What I don't get is that successive managers have clung to the belief that Marc is the answer, when clearly compared to virtually every other central back in the league he is well short of standards required to shore up a defence.

I'm not asking for a Gordon McQueen, or a Billy McNeil, all I'm asking for is a big lad who can play a bit, can clear the lines and give the defence some confidence that ensures that we don't just leak goals.

The attack comes under pressure from the fact that we give away goals and they in turn become edgy knowing they must score more against the opposition than our defence is leaking at a vast rate.

If, as several have argued, he is played continually due to the fact he has relations in higher places, then it's a sad day. That has got to stop and if it takes a strong manager and some harsh words then so be it.

SOMETHING HAS GOT TO CHANGE at the back! Flush.gif

Ok, if anyone had ANY doubts that we don't need a no nonsense CH then surely Saturday and immediately preceding games will have changed their minds.

What I don't get is that successive managers have clung to the belief that Marc is the answer, when clearly compared to virtually every other central back in the league he is well short of standards required to shore up a defence.

I'm not asking for a Gordon McQueen, or a Billy McNeil, all I'm asking for is a big lad who can play a bit, can clear the lines and give the defence some confidence that ensures that we don't just leak goals.

The attack comes under pressure from the fact that we give away goals and they in turn become edgy knowing they must score more against the opposition than our defence is leaking at a vast rate.

If, as several have argued, he is played continually due to the fact he has relations in higher places, then it's a sad day. That has got to stop and if it takes a strong manager and some harsh words then so be it.

SOMETHING HAS GOT TO CHANGE at the back! Flush.gif

Ah... So it's YOU who chooses typefaces for the scoreboard.

I would say Naismith is performing far better at right back than McAusland is at CB. Drury is supposed to be a right back / midfielder so he is the cover for that position (although he hasn't impressed me 1 bit so far). Perhaps it would be better to word it as "we MUST try someone else alongside Plummer at CB". If we are not for signing another CB then lets get one of those listed as being capable of playing there in and give it a shot. McAusland has no pressure on his position at all by the looks of things which is simply farcical.