Diesel Car

faraway saint

Ok. If I'm on your ignore, you won't see this......

I work in a ford centre so I see dpf problems almost weekly. Apart from short stop start journeys sooting up the dpf with no return, supermarket fuel of all sorts causes problems unfortunately. I got a nod that using fuel from a 'jet' fuel station will help as it is refined better than others.

I would trust known quality from a car. Toyota avensis less dpf, audi vw group 1.9 or 2 litre diesels just won't go wrong it you look after them. Renault and Peugeot Citroen Diesel engines are bullet proof but the rest of these car's aren't quite up to it.

Ford 1litre or 1.6 litre ecoboost gives a great return on long journeys but it's best in a fiesta due to weight etc. does not too bad in a focus, though. Britain on the whole has poor quality fuel so with all the advice helpful or not that you get you may still buy a fiat or lada and it could work for you. Mazda diesel is also a good engine in a good car but get it serviced every 12.5k miles on the dot and get it re generated when prompted by a garage.

All the motorway journeys won't stop the dpf sooting up so a forced regen will be needed at some point. If a diesel with a dpf has been traded in less than a year old with a mileage under 8-10k it's a possibility the previous owner has had dpf issues.

Just buy a car your missus likes the colour of. She will never be wrong :-)

Ok. If I'm on your ignore, you won't see this......

I work in a ford centre so I see dpf problems almost weekly. Apart from short stop start journeys sooting up the dpf with no return, supermarket fuel of all sorts causes problems unfortunately. I got a nod that using fuel from a 'jet' fuel station will help as it is refined better than others.

I would trust known quality from a car. Toyota avensis less dpf, audi vw group 1.9 or 2 litre diesels just won't go wrong it you look after them. Renault and Peugeot Citroen Diesel engines are bullet proof but the rest of these car's aren't quite up to it.

Ford 1litre or 1.6 litre ecoboost gives a great return on long journeys but it's best in a fiesta due to weight etc. does not too bad in a focus, though. Britain on the whole has poor quality fuel so with all the advice helpful or not that you get you may still buy a fiat or lada and it could work for you. Mazda diesel is also a good engine in a good car but get it serviced every 12.5k miles on the dot and get it re generated when prompted by a garage.

All the motorway journeys won't stop the dpf sooting up so a forced regen will be needed at some point. If a diesel with a dpf has been traded in less than a year old with a mileage under 8-10k it's a possibility the previous owner has had dpf issues.

Just buy a car your missus likes the colour of. She will never be wrong :-)

Much appreciated, I'd been pointed towards an Octavia, 1.9 although I currently have a Mazda petrol which has been a good car.

Approx what cost is a regen process?

PM me if you don't want to post.

I can see me with a purple car if I follow your last bit of advice.

Thanks again.

Much appreciated, I'd been pointed towards an Octavia, 1.9 although I currently have a Mazda petrol which has been a good car.

Thanks again.

Regen approx £70 . May be better getting oil and filter changed at same time. Mazda takes low ash dexelia oil so £180 or so for both.

You'll know mazdas are good but a bit heavy on petrol. Diesel engines a bit better on fuel economy. 1.9 vw audi group engine is a good 'in. Cars spot on, too. 2 year warranty with main audi parts (not accessories or wear/tear though) so paying extra for an audi is worth it IMO. Octavia is a good workhorse, though.

Vw audi do a lovely plum colour :-)

Guest TPAFKATS

Faraway - mrs liverpoolbud faced a similar dilemma to yourself

She was driving a 01 megane scenic which frankly was a cash cow every 6 months road tax and annual mot - she considered " upgrading " to a diesel but after doing the sums settled on a '12 plate peugeot 107

Cost 5 grand - 12k miles - FSH ( twice)

Gets 64 mpg

No road tax

It's a bit of a hairdryer of a car but it was a no brainer

So I'm not saying 107 is answer for you but I'd say with careful research you can also consider petrol engine and diesel in the long run might not necessary be the long term cheaper option

Aye, our other car in addition to the VW diesel is a Pug 208 petrol - dont suppose this helps the thread starter though...

Guest TPAFKATS

Regen approx £70 . May be better getting oil and filter changed at same time. Mazda takes low ash dexelia oil so £180 or so for both.

You'll know mazdas are good but a bit heavy on petrol. Diesel engines a bit better on fuel economy. 1.9 vw audi group engine is a good 'in. Cars spot on, too. 2 year warranty with main audi parts (not accessories or wear/tear though) so paying extra for an audi is worth it IMO. Octavia is a good workhorse, though.

Does the 1.9 VW diesel have the DPF or is it only in the newer engines, 1.6 and 2.0?

I've read, and I think it was mentioned on here before it got messy, that you can have these removed and it won't fail the MOT?

I'm on my third Citroen diesel, and can confirm what chookie has posted - they are bombproof.

My current car is the new C5, with the smallest diesel pulling it (1.6), and it is arguably slightly underpowered, though with plenty of torque, I haven't noticed this, to be honest.

MPG is still pretty impressive for a big lump of a motor, with a combined figure of over 52mpg. I reckon it would be close to 58 or even 60 if mainly used for motorway driving.

I had it at a garage for a new wiper motor a few months ago, and the mechanic suggested I take it out for a thrash at high revs from time to time to minimise the potential for DPF issues.

I've loved my Citroens (electrics can be a tad, erm...quirky, however).

Thanks, I'll take all your points into consideration............................................

I've thought about them...............................

Go fcuk yourself. thumbup2.gif

Cheeky bastard. Think up your own humour. I posted this almost word for word about 2 years ago.

I'm flattered though.

I'm in a quandary now. I need to get a new ( not brand new ) cab this year.

Petrol or Diesel I dinnae know now.

Was thinking Seat Toledo or Skoda Rapide Diesels.

Any experts got more advice please ?

Thanks again.

I can see you in this

2214305.jpg

I've read, and I think it was mentioned on here before it got messy, that you can have these removed and it won't fail the MOT?

You will be doing journeys so you prob won't need it removed. I, personally wouldn't recommend it but it can be done and people obviously do it. I think it means an engine tune as well so an emissions check will be done on removal, but I don't think it'll be cheap to do that.

You will be doing journeys so you prob won't need it removed. I, personally wouldn't recommend it but it can be done and people obviously do it. I think it means an engine tune as well so an emissions check will be done on removal, but I don't think it'll be cheap to do that.

Appreciate the advice and I'm closer to a decision now, although it'll be a couple of months before I make the move.

If it all goes tits up you'll be hearing from my lawyer. whistling.gif

Drove up to Stonehaven today, 40 miles, looking like it'll cost me about £13 a day.

£65 a week, gives about 35mpg for my car.

Need to some "sums" to work out the real savings.

Work it oot with a pencil.